Autometer Electronic Boost Gauge Map Question

Dark Ride

I don't have a mechanical boost gauge but I can volunteer for the Datalog/MAP readings thing.....considering there isn't much luck finding anyone else that has an Electric Boost Gauge....

Just kinda make a list of what kind of reading comparisons you are looking for.... I drive the car everyday so obviously I see it everyday :lol:

FWIW i use a nordskog digital gauge which has an electric sending unit attached to the manifold vaccuum. it seems to be pretty accurate, i wish it read vaccuum though. i mean i think there is a little delay in getting up to the right pressure reading, but not too bad. i only went with this one cause i have the digital dash and an anolog gauge would just look stupid if you ask me

Guest TurboSedan

i know it's a matter of preference, but i HAVE to see a needle moving. it gives me a better comprehension of spool up rate and boost spiking than simply seeing a digital # being displayed. i like the looks of mine :D they are also very easy to see while driving being on the A-pillar. i use the green bulb covers which basically match the UB3 cluster.

gauges4.jpg

I find myself not looking at the gauge unless i think about it. I pay more attention to the road. I painted the pod, but in the bottom picture the flash was on so the difference really stood out. It is a lot harder to notice otherwise.

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

what pod did you use btw Nick? i bought mine from fwdperformance.com for $25. it's actually for a FWD Dodge Daytona but it fit pretty good without modifying it. not perfect of course, but good enough for me.

i only really look at the gauges when:

- i'm warming up the car in the morning. i won't drive off until the A/F gauge indicates closed loop operation. i don't have a heated O2 sensor so it takes a few minutes but that's ok since cold starts are obviously bad for the engine.

- when i'm "getting on it" when "testing" (i DON'T look at the gauges when racing someone - watching the road is much more important!). anyways, i want to see an almost full rich signal on the A/F guage at WOT/full boost otherwise it's time to get off the go-pedal immediately!

- the only time i ever really look at the boost gauge is after i adjust the MBC, or when i want to see how ambient temperature changes and altitude affect boost level etc. i also watch the boost gauge to help diagnose possible vacuum or boost leakes.

Well i used the autozone pillar pod set. Im not too big of a fan, but it formed pretty good. I knew you had that pod but i never really looked into it. So when i got mine i heated it up and formed it to the pillar. It is a little warped, but only by the door so you can't see it when in the car/ driving. When the door is close it looks great.

I can't wait to get my crossover fixed so i can hook up my o2 sensor.

Guest TurboSedan

Josh you should try getting some in cabin videos of the cutlass. I would like to see it in action.

the only in-car vids i have:

this one was basically done so you can hear the BOV in the car:

http://www.turbosedan.com/vids/MOV02351.MPG

that was back when the exhaust still had the stock muffler so it was pretty quiet.

a really crappy vid of the A/F gauge on a short WOT pull:

http://www.turbosedan.com/vids/MOV02357.MPG

i want to do a pillar setup eventually, after upgrading the O2 and all that good stuff. i put my boost gauge in a pod right on my steering column so i can see it really easily anytime. i looked into the pillar, but thought it would be too far out of my sight. i can get pics soon if anyone really cares

i want to do a pillar setup eventually, after upgrading the O2 and all that good stuff. i put my boost gauge in a pod right on my steering column so i can see it really easily anytime. i looked into the pillar, but thought it would be too far out of my sight. i can get pics soon if anyone really cares

hook em up

• 3 weeks later...

Finally Got The Boost Gauge Installed this weekend, and it seemed to work perfectly. I only got to drive it around the yard, since it doesn't have a license plate yet, but it read perfect ZERO when the car is off :biggrin:. I definetly like it.