Autometer Electronic Boost Gauge Map Question

Dark Ride

My Autometer Electronic Boost Gauge Came in the mail yesterday, and it came with a new map sensor for the gauge. do I need both map sensors or can I put the new one in place of the stock one and wire the ecm and the gauge to the same map sensor

Thanks,

Mitch

My Autometer Electronic Boost Gauge Came in the mail yesterday, and it came with a new map sensor for the gauge. do I need both map sensors or can I put the new one in place of the stock one and wire the ecm and the gauge to the same map sensor

Thanks,

Mitch

I havent tried it, but you know....I am gonna go ahead and say use both. :smile: if you dont, give 1 to me cause I want to get rid of mine. :wink:

let us know how you like that gauge; i've been wanting to get that myself.

i tried the Autometer mechanical boost gauge and HATED it.

whats so different about the electric gauge!?...i mean, obviously its gonna have the same boost signal as teh PCM with the electric one...but, it should be correct as it's coming from a vacumm source...i do know that since you are at a higher elevation, that your mechanical gauge probably doesnt read correctly...there is a way to adjust that, but i don't remember how right off hand...

I think you have to use it, its an Autometer spec MAP sensor, hence why the gauge is so expensive....

I have an Electric one myself, the plug won't plug into a stock MAP and its just not worth the risk of the Autometer one being different voltage readings....

I like mine, it has a Peak and Warn feature on it too which is excellent.....Its quite sensitive too and appears to be pretty correct as I datalogged a boost run and they were just about the same readings

Guest TurboSedan

whats so different about the electric gauge!?...i mean, obviously its gonna have the same boost signal as teh PCM with the electric one...but, it should be correct as it's coming from a vacumm source...

the electronic gauge uses a MAP sensor to measure boost pressure/vacuum instead of mechanically via a vacuum line going to the intake manifold. the electronic boost gauge won't exactly have the same boost signal as the ECM (since it uses a separate MAP sensor) though it should be close enough i'm sure.

i do know that since you are at a higher elevation, that your mechanical gauge probably doesnt read correctly...there is a way to adjust that, but i don't remember how right off hand...

the elevation thing may very well be the problem, although out of the 6 boosted cars we have here at 4500ft between myself, my brother, and Dan all of them are innacurate except the one in my brother's Omni GLH Turbo. wierd. i think maybe the quality control of the Autometer mechanical boost gauges sucks. i think you're right about being able to adjust them. i read a thread on turbododge.com about that, BUT that was just to 'ZERO' the gauge. who knows if it actually makes them accurate again. regardless, i still think they are cheap pieces of crap and i won't waste my money on another Autometer mechanical boost gauge.

oh look, i'm pushing 2.5psi with the engine off:

http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/engine/gauges2.jpg

Autometer mechanical boost gauges FTL.

Guest TurboSedan

hmmm...soo, since it uses the MAP sensor, i probably can't use it on my car then!?...i have a MAF...is the electronic one more for a turbo application!?...

the MAP sensor is only for the boost gauge, not the PCM, so yes you can use the electronic boost gauge. and your GTP has both a MAP and a MAF sensor fwiw. or at least my Regal GS did.

hmmm...soo, since it uses the MAP sensor, i probably can't use it on my car then!?...i have a MAF...is the electronic one more for a turbo application!?...

the MAP sensor is only for the boost gauge, not the PCM, so yes you can use the electronic boost gauge. and your GTP has both a MAP and a MAF sensor fwiw. or at least my Regal GS did.

oh...snap!...sweet...thanks for the info josh!...guess i should read more into what kinda shit is on my car...:lol:

mine reads ZERO

if you have a scanner, compare the readings of the two to see if your boost gauge is accurate.

well, its hard too do...but, according to the AEROFORCE...its NOT!...not even under vacum...noww, when i did the dyno tune, it peaked me @ 10psi boost...and thats teh most i've ever seen off my gauge...of course, it showed 10psi before the 3.4 pulley...i dunno...i usually watch the aeroforce for KR when i go WOT...but, yeah...the vacuum isnt right, so i doubt the boost is right...

This is interesting all these bad stories about Autometer's Mechanical boost gauges....

I know its a bit different but our Trans-Am and Suburban both have mechanical vacuum gauges and they both seem to read correctly...

The Electric boost gauge I have auto zeros everytime you turn the ignition on, finding a 12v wiring that didn't cut power during cranking for it sucked though....It definitely seems to be a lot more accurate than the mechanical ones, I don't get 2+PSI with the car off thats for sure :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

quote:"They feature the same Auto Meter quality" :neutral: I wouldnt get it.

it's the quality or should i say the design of the mechanical boost gauges that i don't like. the electronic boost gauges use a 3-bar MAP sensor, and are completely different in how they work.

quote:"They feature the same Auto Meter quality" :neutral: I wouldnt get it.

it's the quality or should i say the design of the mechanical boost gauges that i don't like. the electronic boost gauges use a 3-bar MAP sensor, and are completely different in how they work.

I figure they got us all for hundreds of dollars, I personally have 2 of their crap gauges that I feel AUtometer should owe us all some new gauges AND some pods that fit our cars. when it comes to being a consumer I tend to have higher expectations then most... especially when it comes to cars. I cant not bitch.

they will be boycotted by me until they reimburse all of us TGP owners.

Guest TurboSedan

Autometer has a pretty bad reputation on turbododge.com as well (for the same reasons) but only in reference to their mechanical boost gauges. i BETTER be happy with the $190 Autometer electronic boost gauge i'll be ordering :exclaim:

btw, do you have yours installed yet Mitch? i'm curious to hear how it's working out for you....

Autometer has a pretty bad reputation on turbododge.com as well (for the same reasons) but only in reference to their mechanical boost gauges. i BETTER be happy with the $190 Autometer electronic boost gauge i'll be ordering :exclaim:

btw, do you have yours installed yet Mitch? i'm curious to hear how it's working out for you....

I don't yet, I only see the car once a week and im usually working, so progress is slow. Plus I've gotta mount my gauge pod.

Josh are you going to try and monitor what the gauge reads now being mechanical, and what the new on will read. Like for instance at idle, wot, and deceleration. Im curious to see to the exact number where each sits.

Guest TurboSedan

Josh are you going to try and monitor what the gauge reads now being mechanical, and what the new on will read. Like for instance at idle, wot, and deceleration. Im curious to see to the exact number where each sits.

that would be an interesting comparison, but i probably won't bother installing them both at the same time (besides, i already put the mechanical boost gauge and narrowband A/F gauge back in my Lebaron GTS Turbo). so right now my Cutlass simply has an empty dual gauge A-pillar pod. i will be comparing the electronic boost gauge to my datalogger of course though. it's going to be awhile yet before i can order this stuff though :( the suspension needs all of my money right now.

Guest TurboSedan

someone should do that. Hook both up and then drive the car. See how they compare.......volunteers

i might. i'll see what i can do. although like i said it will be awhile....like probably next spring.