My New Turbo Wahoo!

bodyman

I just received my new T28 Turbo for my 1990 TGP today. I got it from ATP Turbo. My next step is to put the bad boy in and get it fired up! But for now here are some pic's.

2466291_10.jpg

2466291_11.jpg

2466291_12.jpg

2466291_13.jpg

Anyone know how much the Top Gun 160 is? This is my next investment.

I have a set of rims I would like to sell if anyone is seriously interested they are 16 150 Crome Spokes knock-offs I had them on my car for about a week and they stuck out too far and didn't like them. I'm asking $850 +shipping. Here is some pic's.

2466291_14.jpg

2466291_15.jpg

I've always wanted a set of the 150 spokes wheels but after I got them and got them on my car, I don't know just didn't do it for me. Changed my mind. So I bought the GTP 3 Spokes for 200 bucks and put them on instead. Hey got to try, something different sometimes. :lol: If I sell them that's great, if not that's fine too, I'll give it a try.

Your gunna ask why im assuming.....

the stock injectors are maxed out at ~ 12psi on the stock turbo

my 29 lb injectors max out at ~ 13-14 psi now on the gt2871r

the threaded wastegate will not open on the stock boost selonid/ controller (spring is too strong)

YOUR TRANNY WILL NOT TAKE THE POWER AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUD (sleepered90TGP) had that turbo on his car and was breaking STRENGTHENED trannies and and also could not control detination to go above 12 psi (what the top gun "allows") so basicly you need a custom tune, and i wouldnt run more the 5 psi on that turbo on the tranny. if you put that turbo on and run the 7 psi or what ever stock is,

not only will it not be possible (because the wastegate wont work properly)

put your car will run so incredibly lean that your pistion will literally burn

hopefully JUD will tune in and give you some more info

my 29 lb injectors max out at ~ 13-14 psi now on the gt2871r

Not that it isn't possible...but I do not know how that is possible. I know the T28 series is pushing more air flow...but I have trimmed so much fuel out of the 21 lbs Ford Racing Yellow Tops it is rediculous. I am at about 59% duty cycle running 14.xx pounds and still easily seeing 11.5:1 A/F.

You have a WB02 right? What numbers are you seeing in the W/B?

Guest TurboSedan

i know the GT2871R pushes alot more air, but my stock 22lb injectors were FAR from maxed out on my stock T25 Turbo 3.1 at 12psi:

http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/dyno1.jpg <-- sub 10:1 A/F = wayyy too much fuel

i almost wonder if it would run better with NA 3.1 injectors in there (not that i would try it haha). an AFPR would be nice to try though.

anyway, before throwing that turbo in there get some supporting mods. namely the ability to datalog & tune with wideband. i would definately get some larger injectors (probably 30lbs but i really don't have any experience with that to give any advice on injector choice).

I will post my comparative stock, other "perf" tune", and my tune dyno charts over here tonight. I will show you the rediculously fat A/F ratio on two of the tunes and what my tune is running. I will pull the log to see exactly what my PW is. I can easily say that with a proper tune you can get MUCH more out of the stock injectors than what most think! :wink:

As you can see the other tune tested ran for the minimum A/F ratio possible (10:1) and then runs a flatline all the way till redline. It does not even try to recover above 10:1 at shutdown. My tune with timing and fuel corrected runs considerably more HP and Torque with a torque curve that slowly tapers off and HP that stays on power longer to redline.

I have NO KNOCK at all with this tune. I could add another 7* of timing before a hint of KR would show.

Enjoy...

DYNO.GIF

Here you can see Stock AZRC code loaded, other chip tested, and my 14 second tune. Again if people do not know...I use NO BAROMETRIC CORRECTION! This is what the car puts to the wheels at this elevation. Add 15% for sea-level and 35-40% if you want to see a DynoJet Dyno number.

DYNO1.gif

Well for starters I already putt 30psi injectors in it. As for the waste gate, I can pout the stoke one on it. It is pretty stiff. Wood that work, I think it wood. And for the tyranny, Kenny and I talk a bout it, so I no wutt wood happen if I beat on this car. I love this car to much to beat on it. Plus the person at ATP sed it wood be ok to pout on as well.

And thank you Kenny for all the info. Sorry for my bad spelling. :redface:

Well for starters I already putt 30psi injectors in it. As for the waste gate, I can pout the stoke one on it. It is pretty stiff. Wood that work, I think it wood. And for the tyranny, Kenny and I talk a bout it, so I no wutt wood happen if I beat on this car. I love this car to much to beat on it. Plus the person at ATP sed it wood be ok to pout on as well.

And thank you Kenny for all the info. Sorry for my bad spelling. :redface:

OK WOW. :thinking: :willy_nilly: um ya get that thing tuned if you already got the 30# injectors in

Plus the person at ATP sed it wood be ok to pout on as well.

Chances are that the guy at ATP doesn't have near the experience with these cars that Kuntzie and TGPilot do.

no just TGPilot... i dont really have experience... just going by what i have learned over the last 1.5+ years (wow its been that long) ive owen a tgp....

but ya the bigger turbo to be honest is giving me some problems right now AND I HAVE BEEN TUNED FOR IT.... honestly with the turbo on and no tune (used for a few days.. but limited boost ~7-8 psi) i was hitting lower times at the track on 2 runs that i made on the stock turbo.

sure the turbo is good to put on the motor.... sure you could put a GT30 series on with no modifactions at all.... and run 15 psi to if you want... hell slap a pot on the map and you could run 25.... the guy is trying to selll you a turbo, of course hes gunna tell you it will work, doest mean what its attaching to is gunna hold up with out some supporting mods (even just a GOOD tune is good)

heres a quote from Jud when he upgraded his GT28 to his bigger one he has now

As far as boost I have never been over 12# with the gt 28. I couldn’t control detonation The spark retard helped to get me to 12# and haven’t been to the track a 12#. Yall have to realize that with your t25 @ what ever psi you can get out of it is nothing like the GT28 at 5#. I have no idea where I’ll be with the new turbo. It’s like starting over cause it puts out so much more volume of air.

heres a quote from Jud when he upgraded his GT28 to his bigger one he has now

As far as boost I have never been over 12# with the gt 28. I couldn’t control detonation The spark retard helped to get me to 12# and haven’t been to the track a 12#. Yall have to realize that with your t25 @ what ever psi you can get out of it is nothing like the GT28 at 5#. I have no idea where I’ll be with the new turbo. It’s like starting over cause it puts out so much more volume of air.

This here is why MAF > MAP

This here is why MAF > MAP

Really? So why is every High Performance AfterMarket ECU company insisting on people using a MAP rather than MAF? :confused:

I think it's mostly because there are horsepower limits on most MAFs out there. What your talking about is very prevelent with the LS1 crowd and they don't have MAFs that flow enough air. Plus, it's most likely easier for most aftermarket ECU manufacturers to make their ECUs with an 0-5v input over a 0-11,500hz input. On another note, I'm glad to see someone doing real TGP tuning. :cool:

Plus not to mention that if that turbo will push enough. It could blow a hole into a piston (if they are stock), Blow a head gasket, blow a head. Fuk it up so you will have to junk the motor tranny, and mabie the turbo you just bought.

Guest TurboSedan

Plus not to mention that if that turbo will push enough. It could blow a hole into a piston (if they are stock), Blow a head gasket, blow a head. Fuk it up so you will have to junk the motor tranny, and mabie the turbo you just bought.

it's not really a matter of the turbo pushing too much air. it's all in the tune. a stock 3.1 can handle that turbo no problem (it isn't that big) so long as you don't get crazy and boost to like 20+psi.