Im fucking pissed ( alternator )

19Cutlass94

The 'Big 3' is needed when you upgrade to a high output alt. If you dont, youll burn out the alternator faster, or burn up the wires because stock is too small to carry the current load.

Hell, I recommend it even if you have the stock alternator and battery. I noticed right away that all of my interior lights seemed brighter, and the volt guage dropped much less often over stock. It's a definate help when you have an stereo system in your vehicle, and a definate mod if your making a good amount of power.

Jay, willing to bet it was just a defective alt. I've always heard good things about the high output alts.

Matt, If you want me to help you out with a Big 3 upgrade (plus more) let me know.

are you sure the metal part of the wire where it connects to the alternator isn't touching. something along the lines of that...

??? You lost me on that one.

Everything is tight and where its suppose to be. I have a'Big 3' upgrade in 4g wire and thats all attached and it worked fine with the old alternator.

I gotta call them up monday since the alternator has a 12month unlimited mile warranty. So hopefully everything will be ok and Ill send it back and they will gimme another one. I just hope I make it home tonight.

BTW, worst part about changing a 3100 alternator is where that plastic bracket for the PS lines go.

I hear you on that one. I broke mine off on alt install number three I believe. I had no luck with higher amperage alternators either. I just kept rebuilding the same one to a higher amperage. Until I finally got sick of remans. I forked out the cash for a lifetime warranty alternator and have been good since.

yeah Im ready to just break that plastic bracket on purpose. Its PITA! But really, I do believe that alternator was a defect. I mean it quit in two days and was putting out less than 2v! There had to be something wrong because I didnt even have the radio on! But Im still waiting for my new alternator to get here... ( since they got the old one about 5 days ago...)

But Ill give it some time to see how this goes... I mean since I basically got shipped a defect, I mean they could have great products and i got the 5 oclock special ya know.... so well see what happens before I give up on them.

Well this does not look good. Driving around today, everytime I ould come to a stop, the voltage would just drop into the 12's ( like 12.3v ) So I tested a few things out, and it appears that everytime the car is in gear ( reverse, drive, 3,2,1 ) the voltage will drop. When the car is in park or neutral, the voltage holds. Now this does not happen with my old alternator. WTF?!?! this is the second time that this has happened! Now I thought of different pulley sizes, nope both the same. What would be making this happen in the alternator? Im probably just going to keep driving around until it dies. Then Ill probably get my money back. But I mean alternators dont need to be broken in or anything.

Any thoughts?

you're def not having good luck. i say get a rebuild from con-rel and call it a day. $60 with a lifetime warranty, and you can get a more powerful one that your stock one