Drag Racing Question

97loudcut

I agree about not holding second in a TGP...........

My advice there was specifically for the L82 guys (and in modified form [higher rpm] for LQ1 auto's).

I would need a dyno chart of YOUR TGP and an idea of exactly what your toque convertor does for lockup strategy off of each shift to give you an ideal shiftpoint for the TGP.............lets just say that it's below 5600 though ;) .............those 3.1 Turbos die past 5K.......

I've played around with some #'s on a "cartest" program before using very good guestimates on what the average chip/k&n/catback TGP makes to estimate some decent shiftpoints. The results were 1st to 2nd @ 5430rpms, and 2nd to 3rd @ 5090rpms.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Euro

• terryk2003

• 19Cutlass94

JMO60 is up at Milan all the time in his 94 Red GP SE with a 3400 swapped in with a cam and spray. His car is real clean and he has a TGP hood on it, if you see his ass there make sure to say hi.

I've played around with some #'s on a "cartest" program before using very good guestimates on what the average chip/k&n/catback TGP makes to estimate some decent shiftpoints. The results were 1st to 2nd @ 5430rpms, and 2nd to 3rd @ 5090rpms.

While I agree that the Cartest series of programs (I have Cartest 2000) are VERY acurate when suplied with the correct info (especially with manual trannied cars), they do have a couple of drawbacks..........the biggest of which is that they don't allow the car to accelerate properly DURING the shift (as most auto cars do), NOR do they allow for odd torque convertor lockup strategies..........

For instance:

An LQ1 auto will shift from it's 2.921:1 1st gear into it's 1.568:1 2nd gear at ~6300rpm on average...............going off of this, you (and Cartest) would expect the rpm to drop down to ~3400...............but it doesn't...........

Since the car accelerate something like 4-5mph DURING the shift (while the torque convertor is partially locked), AND since the TC doesn't lock back up right away, actual rpm OFF of the shift is ~4200.................

So.....

Again, you really need to know what each car (with an auto trans) does DURING a shift............

I would point out though, the 1-2 shift is the worst for this (on any car) as, at higher speed, the car isn't pulling as hard and neithr accelerates as much DURING the shift, nor slurs things out as badly.

Either way, just know that the rpm figures given by mfewtrail may not be dead on, but ARE a good place to start..................