Drag Racing Question

97loudcut

So I am going to be heading up to Milan soon to see what the Cutlass does. This is my first time ever at a track and I was wondering how do I warm up my tires?

I always see cars doing little burn outs before they run but how do I do it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Euro

• terryk2003

• 19Cutlass94

set the e-brake and put your foot to the floor. Make sure your in the waterbox when you do this. Then when you want to move forward, simply undo the e-brake.

But honestly, if the track has good compound on it, and you have a sticky/soft tire ( good street tire ) I really see no reason to do this. A 3100 will not spin the tires on a track that has good compound with a good tire.

Drive around the water if you are running radial tires, just hold the brake, hit the gas and let off the brake, you don't need to do a Top Fuel style burnout, just a spin to get the sand and debris off of the tires, and warm them up a bit.

Practice your launch on an empty street before you go, find out just how much gas you can give it to minimize wheel spin on the launch.

I read somewhere that with our engines (stock-ish 3.1s) that a little tire spin at the start is okay cause it will get the RPMs up for the rest of the race. What Bossman said sounds good though. When I used to take my 88 GP 2.8 I couldn't do burnouts cause the e-brake was fucked, so I'd just drive up slowly to the water and then smash the gas as I drive through it, spinning the tires a little bit. Of course we're comparing 130hp vs 160hp+ ...

1: drive around the water box.

2: line up straight, in front of the water box.

3: do a "dry hop" - basically punch it for a second to spin the tires and clean any dirt off them. do not go past starting line. you'll look dumb and get made fun of.

4: slowly pull up when they tell you to, and light the pre stage bulbs(first set of yellows). wait for guy next to you to do the same.

5: very slowly creep up until you see the 2nd set of yellows flicker. you are staged. as soon as both cars are staged the tree starts.

6: 3 yellows come down. punch it on the 3rd yellow, do not wait till green.

7: drive past the finish line a little.

8: slow down time. do not cut across the other lane to get to the turnoff if the other car is behind you.

9: come back to timing shack and get your timeslip

:lol:

honestly i dont think you need to spin the tires at all...we dont have enough torque to lose traction on a track...especially if its sticky enough(like the one i went to) and on street tires

burnouts are for slicks... there is absolutley no reason to have to do a burnout if your on street tires... any track that is worth their weight will do a full prep to 1/8th at the start of the night and continue prepping to 60' throughout the night for street nights. if your worried about spining, watch the guys walking around in the starting area... thier feet stick to the track

OH...snap...well, anywayz, like the others have said, DON'T go do some big smokey burnout, because you're just wasting whats left of your tires and it really wouldnt help you any...maybe even make things worse...just drive around the water, then spin em a bit before you get to the line...

Our track won't even let you go through the water box if you have street tires on.

Most don't I believe.

true that...

norwalk will let you do whatever the fuck you want!...i guess that just the difference between YOUR TRACK and a GOOD TRACK! :nana:

Well if this is a 'good track' that your going to, they should have already put down the prep. Then just go to the line. Theres really no need to 'burnout' or 'warm up your tires' on your 160hp motor of furry...

Be sure to break torque at the line. Hold your left foot down on the brake, and place your right foot on the gas. Keep creeping up the gas until the brakes can't hold the car from going forward. Thats the RPM you want to launch at.