Drag Racing Question

97loudcut

Also, your car might not be capable of holding manual 2nd. I know that my GS WILL go into 3rd @ 5700 RPM, even with the shifter in 2. All that is strange because its not electronically controlled.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Euro

• terryk2003

• 19Cutlass94

So I am going to be heading up to Milan soon to see what the Cutlass does.

Milan Motor Speedway? you might be close to where i am, Tri-state area michigan.

Theres a lot of us in this area. I'm in Toledo myself.

Tuesday was also my first time to the track. So my information may be good. It helped me some..

When you see the 3rd light, launch. Thats what I did on 2 of my best RT's on tuesday. A .026 and a .052. Brake torque to about 2300 RPM, but since you dont have a functional tach (like me) play it by ear. You dont want it to the point your brake wont hold, cause that will only lead to wheel spin. You want a touch less than that. Once you do get a launch with little to no wheel spin, go about 2-5 feet (or until you know you are moving and not burning rubber) and nail it.

Do not do any type of burn out. Unless you are running slicks, its useless. Cool looking? yes!!! But it will not help you unless you are trying to burn off that other 30% of your tread. Go around the water pit. Straighten your car out, and back up to the water pit so your back wheels are almost in it. Brake torque it to the maximum so you do a small, quick, burn out. This will just scuff up the tires some, and get any loose debri off the tires.

Also, dont have anything in your car. If your track is like mine, you cant pass TECH if you have anything loose in the car.

Over inflate your rear tires to the maximum setting on the side wall of the tire. Should be like 40-44 PSI. That will give you less rolling resistance. Lower your front tire pressure some if you find yourself doing more burning out then not.

Last thing, bring a pocket screwdriver with you to the track, and take your license plates off befor you get into the staging lanes AFTER you have gone thru TECH. Insurance companies are now writing license plate numbers down at the track, and cancelling policies. Its BS, but they do it out here.

I cant think of anything else but make sure your windows are rolled up, your seat belt is on, dont blow up your engine or tranny, AND HAVE FUN!!!!

[Hijack]

When I had my TGP at the track, since its vacume modulated, should I have left it in second gear? Would it have automaticly shifted? or was it best to leave it in D (Not OD)? My 1/4 speeds were 86 and 87 at the line..

[Hijack]

When I had my TGP at the track, since its vacume modulated, should I have left it in second gear? Would it have automaticly shifted? or was it best to leave it in D (Not OD)? My 1/4 speeds were 86 and 87 at the line..

Brian, leaving it in 2nd gear should hold 2nd gear since we have fully vacuum operated transaxles. 2nd is only good to 82mph max(~5600rpm..I'm pretty sure 5600rpms is correct, because 3rd is limited to our claimed "128mph" top speed @ 5600rpms).

I agree about not holding second in a TGP...........

My advice there was specifically for the L82 guys (and in modified form [higher rpm] for LQ1 auto's).

I would need a dyno chart of YOUR TGP and an idea of exactly what your toque convertor does for lockup strategy off of each shift to give you an ideal shiftpoint for the TGP.............lets just say that it's below 5600 though ;) .............those 3.1 Turbos die past 5K.......