Battery/electrical issues...

gmrulz4u

About a year ago I changed my alternator to a high-output model, as well, I changed my battery to a Optima Red Top. In the summer, and when it's hot out, the voltage readings are AMAZING! I can get 14volts at a stop and idle! Sometimes up to 16 volts. BUT, in the cooler weather, the Optima kinda sucks. The reason I know it has to be the battery and not the alternator is because of this...obviously alternators put out more power when they're cold...and if I'm getting a lot lower voltage reading when it's cold, it must be the Optima...right?!

So, assuming this is correct, what I want to do is put the Optima in the trunk and only use it for my very extensive and expensive stereo system, and buy a nice acid battery with high amperage for everything else. I know I need an isolator or something like that, but I'm not too sure on this issue?

So does anyone have experiences with Optima dry cell batteries like this? And does anyone currently run two batteries off of one alternator??

THANKS)

I've never actually done it, but you can use a solenoid to make sure that your second battery doesn't draw power from the first one unless the car is on (so if you play your radio when the car isn't running, you can still start it later). To connect the second battery you can use 4 AWG or 2 AWG wire from an audio store. I'm not too sure about details, but i think you hook the second battery up to the firsst one with the selonoid between them.