auto to a 5-speed

J

Yeah, dont ask me cause I helped do a auto to manual swap in a DOHC car.

Money depends on the donor vehicle. We got a whole car for 800. You will want a whole car cause of all the parts you need. You have to tear out the clutch pedal and brake pedal (or hack the stock brake pedal). The centerpunch is there in the floor to run the shifter cables. The clutch hydraulics wont mount with the stock hole either. Yours is round, and the 5 speed is a keyed square deal. Dremel tool is your friend here, unless you want to pull the brake booster, AC lines, heater core lines, and a few others to get the plate out to swap them. You also have a small amount of wiring to do but thats nothing compared to the rest of the project.

If you want performance and the thrill of shifting yourself...its very much worth it. If you dont want to spend a few days to a week tearing apart your car...don't even bother. Its easier to buy a car with the tranny in it already, but it might not be cheaper to get one in good running condition.

I said Malibuolds for 2 reasons: 1, he was asking about 3.1s, and 2, any question I ask him he takes as much time/effort as it needs to make sure I understand, including sending me pictures or diagrams, and offers to get me any parts I need. that makes him, IMHO, a very cool guy who is a great help.

I never implied not to ask you or that you didn't know anything.

Guest Anonymous
I wasn't implying anything either...just that I knew what was going on as well.

But...if this were EFI-street....

SCREW YOU BUDDY!

:)

That's it!!!! GET OUT!!! :joke: I hope this place never gets like that.

Guest 96SupremeCuttySL

I haven't been in about a month-and-a-half or so, except to post about the group purchase of rear coilovers. Has that place really gotten that bad? Things weren't the greatest when I quit goin' over there, but it couldn't have gotten that much worse, could it?

Well, i officially gave up all hope, and so did dave (dykZ34). So that should tell you just how great that place has become. We are using the 60degreev6 forum for the 3.4 discussion now. Its slow, but it doesn't have any of the W body or non engine stuff there either. Romeo is even posting there now.

It may as well be clubZ34 or whatever they want cause its just another W body board for 3.4 DOHC owners. Id rather post here for W body stuff, or GMF since thats obviously where I hang out the most online. I even tried to get shawn to use those forums for this site. As long as this place doesn't turn into a shithole its all good for me. I know for a fact GMF won't be. I know for a fact EFI is only going to get worse unless they get an admin who is actually there.

So anyway, back on topic....swap info:) The 282 is not rare so finidng a cheap tranny or donor car should be easy. I know Franz found me one in canada for 250 bucks, for a complete car to get all the parts from. The labor or pulling it all, and then your motor and tranny, and then the new stuff in is not for the faint of heart (or if you are all thumbs).