SPL results

19Cutlass94

Went to the local audio shop today where they metered my system for me. We did two runs, one with the gains right where they were, then we set the gains to where they should be. After we got the gains set, the result was 144.5dB @ 51Hz :cheers:

I was shooting for a 142.0dB in which I did better, so Im happy. Hopefully once I take care of some rattles here and lay down more Dynamat, Ill go back and maybe try to improve this. But this was with a DD box ( 30Hz tune ) so maybe Ill invest in a SPL box and see what happens then. But thats into the future.

BTW, Ive tried and can use some help. I need to try and stop as much vibration as I can in the rear end of this car. Ive got every bolt as tight as I can get it without it stripping, but yet ( especially the rear bumper ) still vibrates like crazy. Any help on how to minimize this would be great!

But Ive got a headache so Im gonna go take some asprin.

Termlab doesnt have mics. The TL uses sensors. The mics are the AC180/AC190. This was the AC180.

Gotcha. So basically, it would be an AC180 meter, with a TL sensor then?

Nope, they are completely different.

The Termlab has a sensor ( about the size of your wallet ) with like 2-3 suction cups on it, that you stick on the windshield. Theres a wire that goes from there to the TL box and into your computer, laptab etc etc. Theres software that comes with the TL. Its about $600+ for the TL with one sensor ( http://www.termlab.com/storefront/ )

The AC180 has an actual mic thats held on by a huge suction cup that goes on the windshield. From the mic, theres a wire that goes into the actual unit. Then on the front theres a 'red light' face that gives you a reading. ( http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/dept.asp?d_id=5252&l1=5252 )

Official SPL Sensor for IASCA

I guess its just choice, but Termlab is the factory standard really.

Term-LAB is the OFFICIAL SPL meter for the following soundoff sanctioning organizations...

Bass Race

dB Drag Racing

MECA

NSPL

USACi

dB Cup

More info here ( http://www.termpro.com/storefront/Page605.html )

Like I said, Termlab is basically the standard, but that doesnt mean that the AC mics are garbage either...

my freind steve (chevyguyss) who is on here hits 175db's

What mic? Where is the mic placed?

Hell, I could hit 160's with a crappy mic and it placed at the port on my box.

Went to the local audio shop today where they metered my system for me. We did two runs, one with the gains right where they were, then we set the gains to where they should be. After we got the gains set, the result was 144.5dB @ 51Hz :cheers:

I was shooting for a 142.0dB in which I did better, so Im happy. Hopefully once I take care of some rattles here and lay down more Dynamat, Ill go back and maybe try to improve this. But this was with a DD box ( 30Hz tune ) so maybe Ill invest in a SPL box and see what happens then. But thats into the future.

BTW, Ive tried and can use some help. I need to try and stop as much vibration as I can in the rear end of this car. Ive got every bolt as tight as I can get it without it stripping, but yet ( especially the rear bumper ) still vibrates like crazy. Any help on how to minimize this would be great!

But Ive got a headache so Im gonna go take some asprin.

Good Job!

Its really hard to compare the difference between the AC and the termalb devices. But typically the AC is 3-4db higher.

And if you find a way to stop the bumper from rattling....please share it with the rest of us...LOL

As for the guy who hits 175db with 2 12's. I Dont like to say never....but ..Extremely unlikely!

I have been arround SPL teams and Have yet to see a pair of 12's reach over mid 160's. And even those were 12" Solo X's with 10kw+ on them in a crx with freight train batteries using 30 some odd runs of 0 guage wire.

I knew that they where a little higher, but I didnt think 2-3dB higher. I though more like 1-2dB higher. O well, Im still in the 140+dB zone. Sooner or later Im sure Ill get a chance to try it on the TL but until that day happens, Im hitting 144.5dB :lol:

One of these weekends I have off ( or have a couple hours to look into it ) I gotta try to come up with something. I havent broken the plastic like you Puggsley, but Ive broke my rearview mirror. Because I could put all the sound deadener in the world there, and it wont help.

I bet you could ;)

The Audiocontrol mics were the norm until the TL came out and took over the show. They are less prone to atmospheric conditions and provide a fairer reading for all. It comes at a cost of dB though.

Ive heard its about 7dB less than the AC mic.

If you plan to tout your score I highly adivse including with that score AC180. People in the know will understand and not rag on you. People that dont know will rag then get corrected by the community ;)

Eventhough Ive been doing this forever Ive never really had the big competition urge, really ever. Ive only done one comp and did a respectable 135.5 with two mid market 10's- thats on the TL.

I bet you could ;)

The Audiocontrol mics were the norm until the TL came out and took over the show. They are less prone to atmospheric conditions and provide a fairer reading for all. It comes at a cost of dB though.

Ive heard its about 7dB less than the AC mic.

If you plan to tout your score I highly adivse including with that score AC180. People in the know will understand and not rag on you. People that dont know will rag then get corrected by the community ;)

Eventhough Ive been doing this forever Ive never really had the big competition urge, really ever. Ive only done one comp and did a respectable 135.5 with two mid market 10's- thats on the TL.

Ryan, is there any place in Toledo to get metered? The new box has really got me interested in seeing how it's doing(I just gotta remove a lot of the factory sound deadener first to get a bit more sound into the cabin, then sound deaden the rest of the trunk). Then, time for a bigger amp.

Not that I know of.

Theres a place in Fremont that should be able to meter you, waytec. Troy is the regional MECA judge and I know they had a TL for a few comps they have done.

My friend from Medina might be heading this way eventually with his TL meter. Trying to get people together to work on his truck he uses to compete with, but I guess is selling... lol

Not that I know of.

Theres a place in Fremont that should be able to meter you, waytec. Troy is the regional MECA judge and I know they had a TL for a few comps they have done.

My friend from Medina might be heading this way eventually with his TL meter. Trying to get people together to work on his truck he uses to compete with, but I guess is selling... lol

I know about where Fremont is, not to far from here. And, I have a car buddy in Medina that I go out to every once in a while to hang out with/go to car shows. Hmm.... Does waytec have a website?

Im sure my score wouldnt be as good on the TL, but still. Im happy with it.

You killed my 136 on the termlab. I'm curious to get mine tested again now that my sub isnt screwed and I dont have a hang over...lol

Not that I know of.

I know about where Fremont is, not to far from here. And, I have a car buddy in Medina that I go out to every once in a while to hang out with/go to car shows. Hmm.... Does waytec have a website?

Fremont is about 15 miles from where Im at. Probably take you 45 minutes to get there.