Why do 3.4's lick balls?

chadz34

Yeah, thats the IAC.

So, in order to take the IAC out, I need to remove the throttle body? It's no biggie if that's the case, I'll have my dad help me. How do you guys clean it? Soak it in carb cleaner?

Yeah, thats the IAC.

So, in order to take the IAC out, I need to remove the throttle body?

No, just take out the two torx bits as said by the 10 people in the above posts.

Yeah, thats the IAC.

How do you guys clean it? Soak it in carb cleaner?

Carb cleaner will work, then get a pipe cleaner and wipe/scrub off any carbon build up. You will most likely have to reset the pintel height though.

Yeah, thats the IAC.

So, in order to take the IAC out, I need to remove the throttle body?

No, just take out the two torx bits as said by the 10 people in the above posts.

Yeah, thats the IAC.

How do you guys clean it? Soak it in carb cleaner?

Carb cleaner will work, then get a pipe cleaner and wipe/scrub off any carbon build up. You will most likely have to reset the pintel height though.

Alrighty, I'm gonna tackle that tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Well if you're going to take the throttle body off you might as well clean all the carbon out of that too.

He's not. It's not necessary. I cleaned the IAC on the GTP, and it didn't really change much (although I did it out of routine maintenance; it probably worked just fine).

Well if you're going to take the throttle body off you might as well clean all the carbon out of that too.

He's not. It's not necessary. I cleaned the IAC on the GTP, and it didn't really change much (although I did it out of routine maintenance; it probably worked just fine).

Well, that's what I'm saying, it can't hurt can it?

Also remember to get a TB gasket.

Doesn't coolant run through that TB, though?

It might, I don't think so though.

Sounds like a lower intake manifold leak to me.

Have the temperatures gone down where you are?

LIM, I don't think where a problem on the 96-97 3.4's since they use a different gasket completely.

And the temperatures haven't gone down to much here. It's about the same where Chad is at. 60's-80's.

LIM, I don't think where a problem on the 96-97 3.4's since they use a different gasket completely.

And the temperatures haven't gone down to much here. It's about the same where Chad is at. 60's-80's.

It's my understanding GM didn't fix the LIM problem on their cars until sometime in late 2000.

A bad LIM leak could definitely affect the engine when cold with ambient air temps in the 60's.

It's my understanding GM didn't fix the LIM problem on their cars until sometime in late 2000.

A bad LIM leak could definitely affect the engine when cold with ambient air temps in the 60's.

Well the plan is, I am gonna get a new IAC, and if that doesn't fix it...I will have the LIM fixed becuase I already did the top intake gasket, but not the lower and I HAVE that gasket it came with the kit I got, so no need to buy parts.

Well the plan is, I am gonna get a new IAC, and if that doesn't fix it...I will have the LIM fixed becuase I already did the top intake gasket, but not the lower and I HAVE that gasket it came with the kit I got, so no need to buy parts.

Why didn't you replace the bottom?? The top one hardly ever go's. That, and doing the whole job takes less than 2 hours.

Why didn't you replace the bottom?? The top one hardly ever go's. That, and doing the whole job takes less than 2 hours.

Because it looks like coolant would go all over, I'd need a detailed description on how to do it. That, and I don't wanna fuck anything up by removing fuel lines and such. If there's a write up I would try it.

Because it looks like coolant would go all over, I'd need a detailed description on how to do it. That, and I don't wanna fuck anything up by removing fuel lines and such. If there's a write up I would try it.

Basically, before you disconnect the battery, pull the fuse for the fuel pump and start the car. That way, any gas in the lines will be used up, and you will have minimal leakage. Then, follow the steps to remove the upper plenum. Remove the bolts the hold down the fuel rail. You will then have to pop the injectors out of the LIM. Basically, just pull up on each individually. There should be enough play in the lines to kina swing it to the side(I was able to on my 93 Z34 with 95 3.4, not sure what the 96-97 style is like). This would be a great time to soak them in some carb cleaner while you do the rest. Just be sure to get them dry once you pull them out.

Basically, follow this for the rest of it: http://60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=24977

u need a write-up to pull an intake???? ever considered taking it to a shop?? sometimes DIY in the wrong hands can cost more money than getting a professional to do it. i would suggest buying a chilton's manual and if u really want to DIY go practice on a few cars in the boneyard to get some experience.