"click-click-click"

Bolt_Crank

I just got myself a 1993 Lumina Z34, and as soon as it kicks in to slow idle, there's a clicking noise in the engine.... it sounds like it's coming from underneath the black DOHC chunk of plastic looking stuff... is it the cams? or rollers (if any) lifters, or what, that's doing this? 'cuz... I don't want my car to die on me... and, after how many kms should I replace the timing belt?

if you hear a steady clicking, that has a definite pattern, it could be your injectors going out. They make that noise when they get old and worn

Robby

thanks ^^

first thing, after work, I'm gonna inspect the timing belt... I don't know if it's been done or not, and the car has 160,000 km

I thought the LQ1 is non-interference design. So, even if the belt goes, unless you're at high rpms when it happens, you'll be alright in regards to the valves.

Regardless, if it looks worn, change it!

I thought the LQ1 is non-interference design. So, even if the belt goes, unless you're at high rpms when it happens, you'll be alright in regards to the valves.

Regardless, if it looks worn, change it!

Not always... the 1995+ DOHC's are Interfering and will have internal damage if the belt snaps while running. There's even a possiblity that a Non-Interfering motor could have damage. I've seen a post on EFI-Streey.com's forum and a 1993 Lumina Z34 ripped apart a head when the timing belt shreded. I was a lucky guy when mine snaped @ 4500 RPM's, and it's something I'll never take for grantid.

- RedFox340

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know the 95+ are interference. I know the clearances are *REAL* tight in the 94- but thought it'd be alright.

Trust me, as a dsm owner, I know all about snapped TBs and the damage it can cause. ;)

Someone who leaves the t-belt on the LQ1 for more than 30K is playing russian roulette with their bank account.

Thats the new quuuote of the week!

another question... (I figure it's easier than starting a new topic...)

Would there be any performance gains from making it so my hood louvres (sp?) are pushing air in to the intake? (currently, as far as I know, the car is completely stock... except possibly the tires, which don't quite match the trunk specs.... 215/60/R16 is what I have... anyway...)

Shibby.

will it affect cooling in any way? *thinks* it's gonna be kinda funky to get that to work, and still be able to open the hood... ahh well, I'll eventually think of somethin'