Fiberglass A Dash top? Best way to fix it?

Q-Ball

I got my HUD Dash pad, but it got cracked in shipment. Whats the best way to fix it? I was thinking fiberglassing it, but I'd loose my texture. If I did, what colour should I paint it? Back to black and show all that dust? :lol:

check out the damage. Small is from the vent and speaker. The other is a long crack from the speaker to the bottom.

HPIM1127-1.jpg

I've used epoxy rubber bumper patch stuff before on dashpads with some luck. To keep the texture, get a small vinyl swatch that matches the dash texture, and press it on the patch before it hardens. Obviously you have to make sure you get it decently smooth though, because you wont be able to sand. The cracks will be easy...just put a dab on your finger, run it over the crack, and wipe away the excess.

For the color, I think black would look like shit. There are paints that match the factory graphite pretty well.

cover it with new vinyl?

Theres an idea... go to FCS tomorrow and pick up some black (or whatever color you want) vinyl and put that on... won't have to worry about it cracking for some time, you won't get the same glare on your windsheild you would from the reflection of a shiny fiberglass top. And lets face it, every one you find is cracked somewhere or ends up cracked as soon as you get your hands on it...

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a company called http://www.justdashes.com and maybe they can redo yours for a price...probably wont be cheap though.They specialize in older cars though,but never hurts to ask if they could do yours.

Basically they strip the old covering off,strip it down to the bare essentials,put new foam and inside a machine,they vacuum form the covering to mold/fit and trim excess.The result is a brand new looking dash.

Locating a new one is easier said than done for hime... every time he finds a good one, something happens to it before or after shipping, he just can't win...

Jamie

Local? If he has a JY anywhere near him, I'm sure one will turn up eventually. We have HUD dashes coming out our ass here.

I'm just saying JD quoted me $850 on a '66 442 dash, which is HALF that size and nowhere near as complex. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TWO options. First you could have cut a HUD hole into your old dash pad easily. Second use flexible bumper repair from canadian tire. The paint the whole pad with black rubber bedliner and undercoat spray. This will give you a nice rubbery texture feel ,what pontiac should have done from factory. It will also make the cheapo pontiac interior build quailty of materials look 100 times better! ;)