Do Clay bars really help? And other Meguires questions.

Z34-5speed

If you have "average" paint, claybarring is good to do if you are gonna use 'over the counter' 3-step products.

If you are gonna use a rotary buffer and rubbing compound, then claybar is pretty much a waste of time.

We used the cheap $10 Mother's paste wax on Jason (Q-ball)'s red GP, and it looked great. But I've used all sorts of store bought crap and it all seems to look the same.

Yeah, my paint is pretty average. A little rough for a 6-year-old car, but not beyond taking care of.

Since I'm dropping over $100 on replacement sensors tomorrow, I'd like to get the best shine with the most economy. A good wash, a claybar, and maybe some turtle wax?

I should do this to my Olds, but the issues I have with making the car look great are A) This will bring out all the small hail dents the car currently has, and B) I have a small bit of rust on my pass. fender, and this will probably be about done.. Because it is rotting from the inside out, I need to just get a new fender.. Before it's too late! :willynilly: I KNOW I should do the roof as there is some ever so light oxidation on it..

Hey, I have dings and rust, too. But might as well shine up what's left, hey?

My old TGP was the same way.. banged to hell with hail dents, but I still kept it shined up. :mrgreen:

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

If you have "average" paint, claybarring is good to do if you are gonna use 'over the counter' 3-step products.

If you are gonna use a rotary buffer and rubbing compound, then claybar is pretty much a waste of time.

We used the cheap $10 Mother's paste wax on Jason (Q-ball)'s red GP, and it looked great. But I've used all sorts of store bought crap and it all seems to look the same.

yeah but not everybody has access to a professional buffer :cuss:

lol i wish i did

Yeah, my paint is pretty average. A little rough for a 6-year-old car, but not beyond taking care of.

Since I'm dropping over $100 on replacement sensors tomorrow, I'd like to get the best shine with the most economy. A good wash, a claybar, and maybe some turtle wax?

Screw Turtle Wax. IF you want to go teh-cheap... try Nu Finish. Crap in orange container. It's like a polish and a wax.

http://www.nufinish.com/products.html#

Screw Turtle Wax. IF you want to go teh-cheap... try Nu Finish. Crap in orange container. It's like a polish and a wax.

http://www.nufinish.com/products.html#

I used to use NuFinish on my faded 1963 GMC's paint, it made the truck look great for a few weeks afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

car in high school ummmmm :lol:

My highschool car used to belong to some one else whose daughter went to school with me. 79 cordoba :confused: she came up one time and said "I hope you don't mind, I'd like to sit in the cordoba and feel the upholstry." car was locked from then on :lol:

I just tried claybarring for the first time and I like the results :) done 3 cars so far.

Claybar +1. A claybar gets rid of any resedue (wax, tree sap...so on), and also makes your finished surface feel as smooth as glass. If your paint is new, or newer, chances are you wont need to use it.