cadillac 4.9PFI swap

ihateallmustangs

Anyone done this in a w-body? seems like it would be a real easy swap. I know a guy that makes adapters to use a 4bbl carb on this motor. Eliminateing the wireing issues.

Eliminateing the wireing issues.

That certainly would rule out the easy part...hmmm, I had access to one of these engines up untill a few months ago... A friends mom had one, but when the heated windsheild broke it was going to write off the car so they got rid of it.

I did a quick google on the engine and read that there isn't much aftermarket for the engine.

I also read that "275 HP is realistic with some minor engine airflow improvement." not that much more over the 3.8SC IIRC but there is a more broad aftermarket for the 3.8L along with a lot more people that have done the swap. If you ask me there is more bang for your buck in the L67 swap, but, the 4.9 swap would certainly be unique, and who knows, my 10 minutes of research could be way off, lol.

Jamie

Try doing a search.. it's been covered several times.

There used to be some company that made a 4.9 swap kit (I forget the name) they don't make it anymore from my understanding.

From what I remember reading the 4.9 isn't very powerful/efficient and you'd be better off doing a different engine swap.

5.0 ASG they rebuild the 4.9 and make enverything.

tyre.serveftp.com/v8lumina/asgs_50l_engine.htm

enough said?

the 4.9s were pieces of shit though, they always had headgasket problems!

I heard the complete opposite.. as in they are built like a tank.

Then you heard wrong :rolleyes:

considering the amount of time they used both the 4.5 and 4.9 also if you look in the yard alote of those cadddies are crammed with mileage. They did something right.

i know there was some kid in a z34 here who had one of them bored out to 5.0L and droped into his car, from my understanding is that it really dosen't make much more power then the 3.4 does.

The 4.9 is an aluminum block and head engine. The cylinders are sleeved, and from what I've heard, the sleeves have a tendency to warp, press out and bust up the head gasket. They are pretty unreliable engines, and in the Caddy, only made 200 horse and were actually backed by a 4T60-E IIRC. I'd stick with the DOHC if you could

Most aluminum engines have cast-in sleeves, eliminating leak and warping problems. The Caddy V8's are a wet-sleeve engine, which is why they have head gasket as well as lower O-ring problems. They 4.9 is far improved from the 4.1L that it's based on, but still not a great design. I was told by a mechanic at a GM dealership to avoid it at all costs.

EFI to carb, yuck. Why would you want to do that? You'll get more power and efficiency from EFI.

You guys are not talking about the same engine.

The 4.9's are iron block.

If your thinking the Northstar... thats aluminum.

The 4.9's are a popular swap for Fiero's, and are very reliable. IIRC just a shade over 200 hp, but like 275 ft lbs of torque. Thats not bad considering they are only like 20-30 lbs heavier than the Fiero's stock 2.8 v6.

HOWEVER , if your going to drop one in a W , I think you will need to move motor mounts... but the electronics part of it would be easier than doing a 3800 II swap.

Lee, you're wrong about that.

4.9's are aluminum block, iron heads. Northstar is 4.6L and has cast-in-place iron sleeves. The 4.9's are a wet sleeve design. 4.1L, 4.5L, 4.9L, they are all the same design, aluminum block wet-sleeve cylinders sealed with O-rings on the bottom and clamped in with iron heads.

http://experts.about.com/e/c/ca/Cadillac_V8_engine.htm (see the "Aluminum OHV" section).

The 4.1's were complete junk, the 4.5 slightly better and the early 4.9 a little better than those but the 4.5s and 4.9s still were capable of racking up 200,000 plus if maintained properly. The '93-'95 4.9s were greatly improved and very dependable. I bought a '95 4.9 to do the swap then sold the '95 Z34 it was going in. For all the haters out there I played Hell finding one with less than 150 to 200,000 miles, just do the maintenance and they are as dependable as anything else. Finally found a cream puff '95 with 50,000 that had been T-Boned, I still have the engine and have started looking for another "victim" but something a little less conspicuous, like maybe a 4 door Lumina or GP. It is almost totally a bolt in swap if you get the complete engine, trans, harness, ECM, etc. GM actually built 10 Lumina test mules with 4.9s and the reports were that they had decent highway performance with no negative affects on handling, keep the W-body 3.33's or do some sprocket swapping to make a 3.73 and they'd be good stoplight to stoplight sleepers. You have to cut a small notch in the W-body cradle which is no big deal and it uses 3 of the factory mounts and the base plate from the Cad with the W-body dog bone for the upper front. The harness and ECM are pretty much Plug N Play to the W body. Unless you find a good deal on one or have a trashed Cad with a good motor I wouldn't suggest it though. It's different and the 4.5 and 4.9 sound really sweet with a nice exhaust but for serious performance you're much better off with an L67. I'm old and slow now and just want something different with a small V-8 and FWD for driving to work so I'm going ahead with it, besides any Caddy I find with a bad 4.9 is so battered and abused I wouldn't want it and I won't fit in a Fiero so those aren't really options for it.