Is there a Limited Slip Differential for the 4T60 tranny???

90TGP

Anyone know if there is a limited slip differential for the 4T60 [not the 4T60E] 4-Speed Auto transmission???

I think it was scott cook that can rebuild it for LSD. you WILL need to send it to him. http://www.c-ya-racing.com/ Guss with a 1995 GTP got his rebuild by scott for LSD. its like $680 if i remember correctly. I plan on doing it to both of my cars someday.. but that takes that stuff i ain't got right now...... MONEY!

RedZ

Both tires SHOULD spin on a flat surface, because each wheel has traction, a LSD will distribute the force to that both wheels spin, even with uneven traction...or so I've been told.

The real test, is you put your car in neutral, and jack the tires that drive up, then spin one tire forwards, if the other tires spins forward as well, you have a Limited slip, if the tire spins backwards, no limited slip. :-\

-MaD-

The real test, is you put your car in neutral, and jack the tires that drive up, then spin one tire forwards, if the other tires spins forward as well, you have a Limited slip, if the tire spins backwards, no limited slip. :-\

-MaD-

I was told the opposite... one will spin the opposite direction of the other.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm

Basicly the power is dristubited to the 2 wheels equily, so you don't get a 1 wheel burnout.. the LSD will basicly allow you to grab traction on both wheels so you don't get 1 wheel spinning and one not.. axles on a car are generally not equil lenth.. and as we know it will allways go to the shortest path of least resistance, which means 1 wheel gets more power then the other and the wheel spins. the SLD will basicly dristributes the power equily to both wheels making it very hard to lose traction and spin the wheels. it is still possible to spin the wheels but not nearly as much or nearly as easy. how exactly it dristributes the power, I don't know.. if i did i would be rich :lol:

Hope that makes sence.

RedZ

There are three typres of differentials. Clutch type, which uses mini clutch plates to transfer torque, gear-type,which use intermeshing worm gears, and viscous, which uses a gel that becomes fluid when it's shaken. With the viscous type, the gel inside becomes a torque mover when the wheels turn at different speeds. The clutch type is pretty much self explanitory, and the gears type uses a system of moving gears, that slide back and forth when one wheel slips, and re-direct torque to keep the loss of traction to a minimum. Phantom Grip makes a less expensive alternative to buying a whole LSD. I don't know if they have you're specific application though, I'm pretty sure they do custom work too.

Red, I did this with both my cars, my Caprice has a limited slip posi (same thing?) and when I jacked the rear end up and spun a tire forwards, the other tire spun forwards, I was told that this was the way to tell if the rear-end was blown or not. If both tires spun in the same direction, in neutral, everything was butter..., if it was spinning opposite of each other, my Auburn was toast!

Then i did this with my Cutlass, which shouldn't have a LSD (4L60, not E), and when one tire was spun forwards, the other tire spun in the opposite direction. I assumed this was normal for our cars!? Should the tires on my cut be spinning in sync with each other?

-MaD-

• 4 years later...

My 4T60 doesn't need a LSD. :wink:

rber.jpg

^and no, my white car that's parked there did not leave those, they were from the TGP on a normal take-off. I matted the pedal from idle, it gripped to begin with, then comes computer controlled turbo lag, followed by spool, now wheelspin. I was surprised that it spun as far as it did on a normal take-off, that was the first WOT run from a dead stop I had done since my new injectors I installed late last year(been taking it easy on the TGP :lol:).

yeah you only need one if you are making some serious power and plan on doing some serious 1/4 mile drag racing.

otherwise they are a waste of time.

The majority of the fastest FWD Grand Prix's are still using the stock differential.

yeah you only need one if you are making some serious power and plan on doing some serious 1/4 mile drag racing.

OR if you drive it a heck of alot in the snow or think your gp is an off road vehicle. However if you are doing that you need to buy a 4wd truck.

LSDs are important if

1) you like to take corners with a fwd car (which fwd is better for anyways :smile:) you need both wheels pulling you thru equally while youre gassing it thru the turn

2)even if you have the power to do a real 2 wheel burnout off a launch, you can still very well pull a 1 wheel wonder and not even notice it if your wheel is turned ever so slightly or you are on a crown. an LSD is still very helpful for launching.

i'd also like to add that yes, while all of the weight is above the drive wheels. one disadvantage any fwd car will have is traction - you have none. when going hard you are actually lifting all the weight off the front wheels and shifting it to the back. if 2 cars lined up exactly the same only one was fwd and the other rear the rwd one would hook, grip and launch forward while the fwd would sit and spin. rwd cars usually only sit and spin while powerbraking

The majority of the fastest FWD Grand Prix's are still using the stock differential.

Thats a fact Matt.

Jud