Stupid Piece of Crap

rjtiminskygtp

GOD DAMNIT! I go to pick it up, bring it home, and get in to go uptown, and guess who's starter is fucked?! THIS GUYS! I am looking at all together $1350 ish to the Mechanic. $848.00 to fix the Alternator, belt, and Throttle Pulley, and the braces and heat shields. I still owed $120.00 from the repairs before. And to get the start replaced is $125.00 for labour and $230.00 for the starter. So:

$120.00 Remaining

$848.00 For Alternator and assorted shit

$355.00 for Starter

---------

$1323.00

So once I get it back, I am going straight to Red Deer and gonna find me an S10 or Dakota or Blazer and say good bye to that Curse!

Wow, no offense dude, you need to get a new shop. You can get a new Starter for 50 bucks (for old gen) or 100 bucks (new gen) or 10-20 bucks used. It takes all of 1 hour to replace a starter? They have some serious mark ups at that shop I guess to do a 400% mark up on a starter... You have been getting good advice about your car, and its a shame that the car is going to go to waste like this. You bought a used car, and are not expecting some problems? Guess it shoulda had a warenty then...

Maybe I didnt read something right during the course of this thread, but where does this 'throttle pulley' come into play? As well as 'heat shields'?

Maybe I didnt read something right during the course of this thread, but where does this 'throttle pulley' come into play? As well as 'heat shields'?

He doesn't know, nor really seems to care to find out. He just wants to pay the bill without asking questions about stuff that we said doesn't sound right and asking questions on the outrageous prices, even though

I'm not gonna question them because they have been our family's mechanics since the 70's...that spans 3 generations, so whatevs. I trust them. Say what you want

So, I really don't know :thinking:

Just FYI, Most parts up here do have some serious markup on them. Stuff that can be bought in the US for like 50$, will cost like 125 up here. Maybe I'm exagerating a little here, but there is a high enough mark up.

When they replaced the alternator, it was missing some heat shields and earlier I said they replaced the idle control, but they actually said idler pulley, distortion on the cell phone made it sound like Idle control. The starter ended up only costing $213.00, because they used a used starter. And yes all of my posts have been in Canadian Dollars. So to get my numbers all right:

$120.00 remaining on the old bill

$828.00 for the alternator and associated work (Brace and heat shields and belt and pulley)

$213.00 for the starter

--------

$1261.00 Total

And maybe I should clear this up too. The garage I take my car to is the best garage in my shit hole town of 6300 people. When other people I know have went to the other garage here, they got screwed because the cost was less, but their car was in there getting the same thing fixed again 2 weeks later. If I go to the GM Dealership to get work done it'll be a lot costlier than the garage. My car is just having problems that come with being 15 years old. The next nearest garages are at least 45 minutes away, and when my shit breaks down do I pay to have it towed 10 minutes from out of town into their yard, or do I pay to have it towed to the next town 45 minutes away? So really, I am doing the best things I can for my budget. Before I bought the car, they did the inspection and said it looks to be in great shape, but these 3.4 L are high maitenance and are a bitch to work on, and I didn't take the advice, so here I am. Here's the prices.

~Parts~

$219.99 Alternator

$69.48 Belt

$50.87 Idler Pulley

$5.00 Syncromesh Oil

$3.00 Nut & Bolt & Screw

$75.00 Starter

-------

$423.34

~Labor~

$75.00 Tow to Shop

$78.00/Hour of Labour x 6.1 Hours of labour = $475.80

-------

$550.80

~TOTAL~

$423.34 Parts

$550.80 Labour

-------

$974.14

Plus GST and Other charges on both bills and the remaining $120.00 from before gives me my $1261.00

Well, went to start the new vehicle search. I found a 98 Aurora, 107 000 kms, fully loaded for $8900, so that was pretty hot. But my catalytic converter is starting to go on me and so is my new used starter, it's still starting, but just bearly at times. Oh, and when I was at one dealership they had a 1991 GTP Automatic, 247 000 kms, New tranny, Leather, Loaded, But missing the fog lights and Valence, and it had a dent in the front driver's quarter panel, and there were asking $3300 Cdn. My car has half that amount of KMs, and is in impeccible shape, and I am asking $5500.00 so I should be able to pull it off. If not, I was hoping that car would only be $1000 and I would buy it for parts, because that's what it was good for.

Stay away. Auroras are troublesome, the Northstar is a very complicated and expensive engine to have serviced and doesn't have very good long-term reliability. They tend to leak from the gasket that joins the 2 halves of the block.

GTP... well, you already know about those. It won't be any better.

Thanks for the advice on the Aurora. That's good to know. I don't want to be in a another moneypit haha. Yeah, like I said, had that GTP been cheaper, I would probably buy it for parts and then just keep my car and fix it using that one. The seats were in good condition, Black leather Quad buckets, could take the consoles, the starter and Catalytic converter, Try the ABS system, and then there was back up pieces for anything else.

If you want my advice... Sure as hell don't buy an S10 or Blazer. I had a 95 and my Dad had a brand new one. They Nickel and dime you until you wave goodbye to it.

If you want a good reliable car with a good motor buy somthing with a 3800 not SC though.

I've only seen 1 bad 3800. Hell my Regal had 296,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and it still had the same amount of power as my dad's with 50,000 miles on it. I work at a salvage yard and I see what we sell. Sure as hell don't buy anything with a Quad 4, 3100, or 3400 in it. Shaun is right about the Nothstar's they're all junk thats all we sell every week at work are 3100's and Nothstar motors for Caddy's. 3.4's I hear aren't the greatest but I've never had any trouble with them.

I really don't know what I was thinking getting rid of mine but find a good used Regal there's too many GP's on here now. :lol: The Monte SS isn't a bad idea either.

Well, the 3400 in my brother's Grand Am ran strong, and he bagged on it. the 4.3 in the Blazers and S10's I heard are damn near bulletproof. Of all the people I know who have/do own one, none have had any complaints, and the garage told me they are a great engine, and it wasn't the GM Garage. And I have heard the 3800 are great, so I'm not sure. I just started exposing my car for sale, and it's not too bad. If anyone wants to look at my ad, here's the link:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=21847156

So, I'll see. One thing I love about these message boards is you can get advice on other vehicles, as well as W-Bodies. The thing is I want a Small SUV or truck, and if I don't go for an S10 or Blazer I am looking at a Dakota, because I sure as shit ain't buying a Ford!

The engine is the only thing thats good in a Blazer. The rest of it is what falls apart. :lol:

As for 3400's we sell at least one every 2 weeks.

haha, wow that's helpful lol. The rest that fell apart...was it just small things or what was it...some examples please?

Did you look at my ad? I was satisfied with it. Umm, I wonder how those 3.9's in Dakota's are. Anybody know? I was considering a 99 ish Jeep Cherokee Sport but I hear the 4.9 L inlines drink gas like it's going out of style. And my 3.4 runs good, things did go wrong but when it runs, it runs strong, it's just the maitenance cost that I don't like. And a Monte SS is a bit out of my price range, the cheapest I've seen is $14 000.00 for a 2000. And for the camping I do I think a Blazer or Cherokee would be good since it can go through the bushes (clearance wise) and then I can fold down the seats and sleep in the back. But it's still up for discussion.

Wife's sister has a Liberty. Says it's good on gas but I'm pretty sure they're more than a monte. And her Uncle had a Jeep Cherokee He says the new Dodge he traded it in for Gets better gas mileage than the Jeep did.

As for the Blazer Question. My Dad's was a brand new 03 when he got it. A week after the fuel pump went. It was replaced 3 times while he had it. (That's why you can't get a used one) We sell them as fast as we get them. Then You'll need the money for the 2 or 3 sets of wheel bearings it'l need a year. Hmmmm...What Else. Ooh it's around $350 when the Solinoid in the transfer case won't leave go and about $100 for gas you'll need for 2 days because it's stuck in 4WD. Now on the other hand I've never really heard and bad things from the 91-93 Blazers exept you can find one that isn't rusted out around here. You might laugh at me but a Chevy Tracker is build better I think and you get more features like rack and pinion steering. And they're good on gas.

Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Chevrolet-Tracker-auto-one-owner_W0QQitemZ260003889948QQihZ016QQcategoryZ43904QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I were to buy another SUV this would be it.

Yeah, I test drove a 97 Cherokee and it handeled nicely, a bit lacking in the power department, and a little spin in the city and down the highway was just under an eighth of a tank. I would go for a Viber but I can get a Monte SS for cheaper and that's still out of my range like I said. I would consider a Tracker but I want a V6...4 cyl is just too gutless. My mom's Dakota is a 4 cyl and when it was brand new it was peppy but now it is losing it's flare...and it's a 98. And we Owned a Blazer before that...well leased it, and it was perfectly fine, never had a problem with it...it was a 95 or 96 I believe. So I'm not sure...but I have actually thought about a Tracker as well haha