92 olds CS possessed!! Help!

Lissa

Yea, keep us informed. I will be in Denver next week, over in Wheat Ridge. I think theres a member called DaveFromColorado thats from Colorado Springs, not for sure thou. If this doesnt work, and you can meat me in Denver, I would be more than happy to take a look..

Yea, keep us informed. I will be in Denver next week, over in Wheat Ridge. I think theres a member called DaveFromColorado thats from Colorado Springs, not for sure thou. If this doesnt work, and you can meat me in Denver, I would be more than happy to take a look..

I'm pretty sure Dave moved. Last time I looked at his profile anyways, he wasn't there anymore.

Speaking of which, he hasn't been on in a while.

Dave's in Minnesota now. I saw his name, and saw that he had AIM and figured it couldn't hurt to try and msg him. Unfortunately, I missed him by about two weeks lol, cause he visited C/S not too long ago. he's doin pretty good for anybody who's interested, but his Buick croaked, which is why he hasn't been on w-body in awhile.

update, car started fine this morning. If she continues to start all week, I might even get to (FINALLY) name her! I wanted to wait until I had her goin, cause it's never a good idea to name a car when you're mad, lol.

update: Went out this afternoon to start my car. Well, it started, but it wouldn't stay running. The second I took my foot off the gas, the car died. This is the same thing that happened the last time I replaced the battery, (followed soon after by the issue of the battery appearing to be drained) so I guess the problem hasn't been solved yet. I don't know where to go from here. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. Has anybody run across this type of problem before?

Thanks,

Lissa

ok, this is weird...fiance just got here, and he went out, and the car started right up and stayed running...He suggested that maybe the computer needs to be reset...does that sound right to anybody?

Thanks,

Lissa

ok, this is weird...fiance just got here, and he went out, and the car started right up and stayed running...He suggested that maybe the computer needs to be reset...does that sound right to anybody?

Thanks,

Lissa

I'd say that might be a good idea. Otherwise, if that doesn't fix it, I would check the alternator, and maybe replace the fuel filter if it's not been done in over 60,000 miles. A clogged fuel filter could prevent the car from staying running if the fuel can't get to the engine. Some parts stores check your alternator for free if you take it in to them. Might be a good idea to try that since our cars seem to like to eat alternators.

update: Well, it's been one week since we put in the new battery, and other than that one day where it would die after I took my foot off the gas, I've had no problems (knock on wood)! She's started up just fine every day, and it is sooooo nice to be able to drive my car again! Even if the problem isn't totally fixed, we must have done something right, cause the last time we put a new battery in(before we changed all the cables and stuff), it took about 4 days for the battery to start being drained. Now it's been 7 days and there hasn't even been a hint of drainage... so YAY!!!!! Thanks for all your help guys!

Lissa

Maybe it's fixed as soon as the negative battery cable is replaced, that's the next thing that comes to mind. Failing that, start "double checking" things that have supposedly been checked already. There's a drain of power somewhere, or the connection from battery to starter is faulty, or the starter/solenoid is faulty, or connected poorly.

:exclaim:Whenever you disconnect the battery, take the ECM fuse out first because the car computer is sensitive to power surges like reconnecting a battery.

:idea:In the meantime, if you need to use the car before you have more money to fix it, carry around an 8mm box wrench and disconnect the positive terminal from the battery when you shut the car off. Crude but cheap and effective. Besides, if this doesn't stop the problem, you know it's something connected to the starter rather than a drain on the battery.

:idea:If you conclude it's a drain, pull all the fuses out(!). Some are behind the glovebox and some are on the passenger's side of the engine compartment. All you need to know about putting them back is to match the numbers (e.g., it doesn't matter which 10 amp fuse goes to which socket wanting a 10 amp fuse). Connect an ammeter between the positive battery terminal and wire. Some inexpensive ohmmeters have one built in. Put the fuses back in one at a time, and watch for a big reading on the ammeter. Start with Ignition, fuel, ABS, then ECM fuses. If it's not one of those, then take them back out (to protect those circuits while you're messing around). Then try the others one by one. If there's a drain even when no fuses are in the car, there's a short directly from somewhere along the positive battery wire to ground, before the fuse or somewhere not fused.

update: Well, it's been one week since we put in the new battery, and other than that one day where it would die after I took my foot off the gas, I've had no problems (knock on wood)! She's started up just fine every day, and it is sooooo nice to be able to drive my car again! Even if the problem isn't totally fixed, we must have done something right, cause the last time we put a new battery in(before we changed all the cables and stuff), it took about 4 days for the battery to start being drained. Now it's been 7 days and there hasn't even been a hint of drainage... so YAY!!!!! Thanks for all your help guys!

Lissa

Glad everything's working now. Hopefully you're good to go! :D

Been waiting on your email there Lissa to I can fix your door lock thing. I will be in Denver for the rest of today, and part of tomorow, then I have to head back to the house in Missouri..

well I hope your car is running right now,

btw the reason your car stalled right after the battery was disconnected and reconnected is that the computer resets when it looses power. It simply needs to do an idle relearn. and that was basically done just be running the car.

:)

I wouldnt mind my house being repossessed. But then again, I am working on buying a really nice house for 180k. And my current house is worth all of maybe 9000 bucks (its a mobile home, does this make me trailer park trash?).

I wouldnt mind my house being repossessed. But then again, I am working on buying a really nice house for 180k. And my current house is worth all of maybe 9000 bucks (its a mobile home, does this make me trailer park trash?).

well.... with four beater cars... one of which is missing a fender IIRC.... ummm yes :lol: j/k

well.... with four beater cars... one of which is missing a fender IIRC.... ummm yes :lol: j/k

Dont know who you are thinking of.. I have 1 beater car. The TGP runs perfect, missing no parts, just needs paint and minor hail repair (damn GM clearcoat). The STE also runs flawlessly, missing no parts. The Volvo is a Semi Truck. Its supposed to have that many miles as I put on about 1200 miles every 2 days on it. Not to mention its still worth more than about any car on this forum (80000 dollar USED price tag). The only "beater" is the 6000 LE. And I dont even drive that. Its on permanant loan to a freind who is broke and about homeless.

Wow, I leave town for a few days and come back to a mini sparring match! Do I need to seperate you? :mrgreen: lol. Update...the car is still being a pain. I just don't have any more money to put into it, so I have to sell it. I hate to do it, but I'm out of options at this point. No one can figure out what's wrong with this car for sure, and I can't afford to keep fixing things until I'm sure what's worng with it. I'm in the midst of selling the car right now, and have been offered my full asking price, so yay! Anyway, thanks to everyone here for your help. It's really meant a lot that you guys are willing to help out a stranger the way you have.

Lissa