1st gen W-body CD players??

Grand Moff Joseph

While in the junkyard today, I stumbled upon a 1st gen Lumina that had an OEM, Delco branded CD player sitting on the dash. :eek:

First, when did 1st gens ever come with CD players from the factory??

Second, if anyone wants this CD player, it looks to be in excellent shape. I'll be happy to go back there and hunt it down again.

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt that part of the 'premium' audio?

Well it wasn't BOSE.

So it looks to be in excellent shape physically? FWIW: Every first gen CD player until like '94 always stops working...

From the outside, the unit looks flawless, save for some dusty surfaces (to be expected in a junkyard). Is there a good way to test it as is to see if it even powers on? If you're interested, I'll go hunt it down and see if it works... :)

FWIW: my Euro3.4 had a factory CD player in it

:arrow: to audio

sorry for posting in the wrong area jeremy. :(

Chances are it won't play a CD, and if it doesn't, I'd just leave it there.. They aren't worth fixing anymore.

Werd.

I'm not interested, I have one in the basement.

Why aren't they worth fixing anymore/?

if its cheep enough i'd take it in a second, working or not.

i believe the CD deck in the luminas was first avaliable in 1993

I know they have a problem playing CD-Rs, at least my 93 did. Near the end, it used to have a hard time ejecting CDs, I had to use a pair of tweezers. Unless you need that OEM look, something aftermarket would rock.

if its cheep enough i'd take it in a second, working or not.

i believe the CD deck in the luminas was first avaliable in 1993

The junkyard wants $20 for it. It's not that heavy, so shipping should be minimal at best.

Why aren't they worth fixing anymore/?

Because no one will sell just the replacement CD mechanism anymore. The only companies that will work on these units require you to send the whole thing to them to repair, and that costs well over what a good aftermarket deck usually costs.

I dunno if you are talking Luminas Ken, but '89 was the first year for factory CD in the CS. '90 for the GPs.

I'd take a chance on it for twenty bucks. There are a couple working ones out there, like mine. :mrgreen:

cd.jpg

I'd go for it for $20...

I definitely agree there. They go for at LEAST that much on eBay, even when the seller flat out states it won't play CDs. I've seen the Pontiac ones go for up to $60 in non-working condition. I've seen functioning ones go for $150. Stock/OEM CD players are quite popular on eBay, especially the harder to find ones.

I'd go for it for $20...

I definitely agree there. They go for at LEAST that much on eBay, even when the seller flat out states it won't play CDs. I've seen the Pontiac ones go for up to $60 in non-working condition. I've seen functioning ones go for $150. Stock/OEM CD players are quite popular on eBay, especially the harder to find ones.

Is that black one of this era (late 80s early 90s) still on there for like $300?? I saw it on ebay about 3 months straight when I was looking for a stock Lumina cd player...

For the record after dumping over $230cdn into my factory deck it still doesn't play cds properly unless you smash the dash when inserting the cd......so I gave us and went aftermarket....

Neither...I guess it finally sold. It had a glossy BLACK faceplate...said it was for the Camaro or something....I guess it finally sold though....it only had two buttons to the right of the volume knob...

That one with the 5 band eq would be sweet, but not for $379!

The one from my 94 didn't work.

I think the one in my 90 TGP does work, but I haven't tried it lately.

I don't know if this will work, but if I really badly wanted one to work, I'd take it apart and clean the lens with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. If that still doesn't help, it's often possible to squeeze a little more life out of a weak laser by cranking up the laser power. It's usually a tiny trimpot on the optical block itself. I've "fixed" many CD and even MD players that way in the late 90's. I never got determined enough to try that in the 94's CD player because if it can't play MP3 CD's, I'm not interested.

btw..... my 93 vert has a working early type factory radio!!! (actually, I think it has never been used!)

did you ever get that plugged in and powered up? I wondered wether or not it would work, because it was in really nice condintion. I'd be interested to know if the cd player worked

The one from my 94 didn't work.

I think the one in my 90 TGP does work, but I haven't tried it lately.

I don't know if this will work, but if I really badly wanted one to work, I'd take it apart and clean the lens with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. If that still doesn't help, it's often possible to squeeze a little more life out of a weak laser by cranking up the laser power. It's usually a tiny trimpot on the optical block itself. I've "fixed" many CD and even MD players that way in the late 90's. I never got determined enough to try that in the 94's CD player because if it can't play MP3 CD's, I'm not interested.

Isn't it more so in these that the mechanisms themselves inside are just wear out?? Maybe it is a laser problem too, but at least on mine, I had to tap the dash above the radio to get the laser to move around and start reading. Once I could hear the laser start reading the disc I knew the cd would play....it seemed as though the laser was "stuck" in posiiton, but the slightest taping would make it work.

I know when I first got this CD player all I got from is in cd mode wasa high pitched squealing through the speakers and then "ERROR" and spit the cd back out....maybe that was the weak laser you are talking about. I know the firstt ime I had the CD player in for service they replaced some of the capacitors or something along those lines

Isn't it more so in these that the mechanisms themselves inside are just wear out?? Maybe it is a laser problem too, but at least on mine, I had to tap the dash above the radio to get the laser to move around and start reading. Once I could hear the laser start reading the disc I knew the cd would play....it seemed as though the laser was "stuck" in posiiton, but the slightest taping would make it work.

More often than not, it's the laser. I don't know about the Delco CD players though.

Usually CD players don't even spin up until the laser locks focus. It usually works like:

1. Insert CD.

2. Laser sled moves to track 0 position (innermost position).

3. Laser diode illuminates disc and photodiode tries to read it.

4. Lens focuses up and down until the photodiode reports focus is good.

5. CD starts spinning and photodiode reads data off the disc.

A weak laser causes problems with step 3 and 4. This is what causes the "ERROR" message and spitting out the disc. It means no readable disc was recognized.

More often than not, it's the laser. I don't know about the Delco CD players though.

Usually CD players don't even spin up until the laser locks focus. It usually works like:

1. Insert CD.

2. Laser sled moves to track 0 position (innermost position).

3. Laser diode illuminates disc and photodiode tries to read it.

4. Lens focuses up and down until the photodiode reports focus is good.

5. CD starts spinning and photodiode reads data off the disc.

A weak laser causes problems with step 3 and 4. This is what causes the "ERROR" message and spitting out the disc. It means no readable disc was recognized.

I'm sure mine is having issues with Step 2....the slider doesn't move unless the dash is tapped lightly....then everything else seems to work fine.

I found the little trimpot on the side of the laser assembly that Shawn was talking about.. I tried adjusting it (tiny adjustments) and the CD player stopped reading CD's altogether. This was on one of the TGP CD players I had laying around which worked intermittantly.

That sucks! I forgot to mention, it might be a good idea to mark the original position of the trimpot!

Did you manage to get a p/n or manufacturer off the optical block? It might be possible to replace it.

I checked my TGP CD player last night. It does NOT read CD's. It does recognize a disc, but the laser is so bad, it can't track the disc (spins up, spins down, makes reading/focusing noises).

I can look at it again.. It's sitting in pieces in a cabinet in the garage so it should be easy to get a part number.

The GTP's stock CD Player does the same thing that your TGP's does. I figured I'd take it apart and mess around with it some day.