Wheel Stud Question.

Regal_GS_1989

Anyone know off hand if the studs that the lugnuts bolt onto for the rear wheels of a 92 cutlass can be changed without replacing the entire rear hub assembly. I ask becuase I went to remove one of my rear wheels, only to find that the numbnuts that had the car before me put on a really short lugnut, and it's now rounded off. :cussing:

Ok good. I knew that they were easily changed in the front, just Wasn't too sure about the back. I gotta drill one out this weekend. Thats gonna be fun :rolleyes: :lol:

No no, I know I shouldn't HAVE to drill it out, just that somewhere along the lines before I owned the car, someone put a very short lugnut in one place on each wheel. 3 of them came out, but the 4th one was rounded off, and there is no way to get it off, other than drilling out the stud.

that sucks.

I'm looking forward to replacing a front stud on my cutlass.. snapped the damn thing in half. have go get the damn hub bolts off first though.. :willynilly:

that sucks.

I'm looking forward to replacing a front stud on my cutlass.. snapped the damn thing in half. have go get the damn hub bolts off first though.. :willynilly:

It's not too bad actually. I had to do a few on both fronts on my GP. Just consumed a bunch of time mainly, but nothing hard.

I see now.

Pound a smaller socket over the rounded nut. I had to do that with my '92 toro since it had locking lugs and no key. Yeah, you waste a socket, but oh well...

Fuck drilling a stud out...that'll take all day.

I see now.

Pound a smaller socket over the rounded nut. I had to do that with my '92 toro since it had locking lugs and no key. Yeah, you waste a socket, but oh well...

I totally agree, thats gonna take a good 3 hours to drill that out, not to mention a couple drill bits :willynilly:

Well, I do have a set of cobalt drill bits, But i also have a cheapo set of impact sockets, so I will try with a smaller socket first. The only problem that I see is that there is maybe only a 1/4 inch of depth to the nut, so there might not be enough for the socket to grip.

I see now.

Well I tried that..... AND IT FUCKING WORKED!!!! :mrgreen: Have A Beer :cheers:

:cheers:

Glad to hear it worked! I'm surprised you got the socket off the nut. When I did the locking lugs, there was no way the sockets were coming off of them. They were completely round on the outside though...

cool, glad you got off easy! Oh I took off factory wheel locks with that method, only with a 12-point socket, I believe 20mm did the trick. Socket was fine after 4 removals (using an impact gun)

Yup, I had to use an 11/16 12 point socket. Pounded the thing on, and took my impact to it. Came off really easily with that. Than to get the socket off , I put the end of the nut in my vice, and hit the socket with a hammer until it came off.