whining (metallic) from motor

streetdreams

okay back in the winter the car made those noises like the power steering pump is full of cold fluid. no biggie it is -24. so I flush the power steering with delco PS cold weather and that is good for summer driving by the way lol. anyways the noise persists and were into the summer. its a high pitch whine and it dosent sound good from the motor. I change the fluids religiously (other than tranny, I'm at 270,000km) I havent lost fluid. its not a belt no way. its like a bearing or whining sound from inside the motor. when I rev it raises and just like that it will stop and you wont hear it again till say you go to start from a stop or give it gas under load. I want to put in a tranny no matter what cuz its got a great motor but no matter where the tach is I do 60kmph lol

I know its vague but anyone know what I'm talking about? I thought water pump cuz its supposed to be metallic sounding but theres no loss of coolant and my oil is fine, always clean

Hello,

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,41912.0.html

Some good information there, I'll repeat some of it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41966

It's a mechanic's stethoscope. It could have saved you a lot of trouble early on, and it can still save you trouble in the future (the screw driver trick works OK, but this is a home run and who doesn't like having new tools?)

Get one, poke around your engine bay with the car running (be careful) and listen to things...your new power steering pump, water pump, put it on the fuel rail and listen...learn the sounds of your engine. Then, when something sounds amiss, you can check again, and you'll know if something sounds out of place. Its even great for finding the knock that is starting to come from your engine be it valve train or you find a injector getting freaky.(knock on wood).

I used mine in a problem like yours but pin pointed the water pump with 100% accuracy. Good luck.