convertible windshield frame

peeeot

The black paint on the trim around my 91 cutlass supreme convertible's windshield is flaking off in big chunks in places. I've seen it on almost every other 91 convertible I've come across as well. I plan to remove the pieces, take them down to bare metal, and repaint them, but it seems the factory did a poor job selecting a primer, since this is such a common problem.

Has anyone successfully reconditioned this trim? What primer/paint should I use?

All right, thanks. I guess any good quality metal primer will do.

When painting with a primer i like to select a paint line and stick with it, That way your base is meant for the primer you are using. However you can, like many people, use any primer labeled High build 2k primer.

I will be doing the same, using RM paint line.

• 2 years later...

I had this problem so I removed the metal pieces and had them bead blasted at a body shop. I then used Dupli-color self etching primer followed by three coats of Dupli-color gloss black and three coats of high gloss clear. Looks great so far but car isn't driven much. After I got done I wondered if I should have had them powder coated for added duribility.

powdercoating would be a good solution.

I was wondering about that, along with the mirrors. Glad you mentioned it. I'd think powdercoating would be more durable.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

seems there are powder coaters popping up everywhere on the cheap

PC would be more durable and bead blasing (actually baking soda strip) would be good prep.

I have considered coating the A-pillar trim and mirrors white on my white 93.