Painting Front Bumper?

mischief3003

Hey guys i've posted here a few times a while back and i've just started comming back on here lately. So anyways i have a red 94 grand prix se 2dr. And i need to put a new bumper on it so i bought a black one that is all faded and looks horrible but in good condition.

So could anyone tell me a procedure i should take to painting this? I plan on using the duplicolor spray cans lol.

sand down through the clearcoat into the paint with 600 grit, that should be adequate.

Spray 3 coats paint, the first one being light. Allow paint to get tacky between coats (20min maybe)

After that dries a bit, 3 coats of clear.

Duplicolor did an awsome job on my spoiler. You will have some orange peel but that's okay, it will still look alright. Give it a month or 2 and then you can wetsand it smooth then compound and polish.

If you don't have the paint already it's code 81 bright red.

heres what my spoiler looked like right after paint...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v257/dsjune/95%20GP/spoiler%20painted/

That does look pretty good man. Ive posted this topic awhile back but i cant find it. I started sanding with 400 grit. SHould i go onton 600 then or just stick to 400? How many cans of paint do you think i will need of paint and clear coat.

I have a spoiler the guy i got my car from gave me but its dark green and im gonna ahve to paint taht then to. But I cant decide if i like the car wtih a spoiler or without more.

i would go wingless

if it involves drilling holes, x2!

I used about 2 cans of Duplicolor on the spoiler, so you'll proabably need about 3 (to be on the safe side). On my spoiler I think I used Motomaster brand clearcoat (it's in a fullsize can) I don't remember how much I used. Just make sure it's 3 coats. The clearcoat will try to run on you, so don't put it on too thick and make sure it has enough time between coats.

Ya I would have to drill holes and tahts the part im scared about doing. But ya I did somemore sanding today but then i got hot so i went in. lookin good so far. I have the B4U kit on my car and the bumper on my car right now is the other kind of style(non B4U). It looks so dumb. Im going to buy the paint hopefully tomoroww or monday for the other bumper. I still need to do exhaust on my car.

What kinda mufflers should i get?

sand down through the clearcoat into the paint with 600 grit, that should be adequate.

Spray 3 coats paint, the first one being light. Allow paint to get tacky between coats (20min may)

i am getting ready to do the same thing with my 94(some1 hit the bumper and spidered the paint all theway across the bumper) :evil: :cry:

I got some 600 grit but I was wondering if would it be better to put some good brand of primer on before painting?

I have alot of small rock chips in the front of the hood to so should I just have the whole hood repaint or can i just do the front of hood myself? thanks

Like to see your results on your bumper redone too mischief3003

Hey guys so my dad has been helping me paint my bumper and so far weve put 3 coats on it of paint and now we are putting on the clear coat. How many coats do u think i need of that?

3 coats should be good. YOu want enough so that you can wetsand it later to make it smooth. The more the better really... just try not to get runs (wetsanding will fix that though).

I'd recommend waiting a while before you wetsand (maybe a month?)

ooo ok good. I get my liscense in 14 daysz so i want this thing to be done. Hopefully clear coat gets on today. What do i need to do when i finish the bumper? Like do i need to wax it alot of wash a few times. My friend was saying something about that. All that i got left to do is replace my mufflers(stock are rusted througn badly) and get new tires(anyone know where to get cheap ones).

. What do i need to do when i finish the bumper? Like do i need to wax it alot of wash a few times. My friend was saying something about that.

I wouldn't TOUCH it for at least a week. Let the paint cure. Wait a week before you wash it, or at least a day or 2 and be very careful (use a mit and gentle soap). Wax/polish it later (like in a month maybe). When I got my 1/4 panel touched up the guy said to wait a few days before washing... I was stupid though and used rubbing compound after a week and it damaged a tiny area of the clearcoat (I think I'll be able to use a touchup stick on it though). Best to wait and let it cure.