Im about to cry

LumiDriver

The oil pan goes nowhere without the cradle coming off. But, if you do decide to replace the motor, get a 3400, they are about the same price and basically bolt right in place..

Wow the guy has a problem that needs help and you guys are giving him a hard time about the fact that he had to try to drive it home. He already said he's short on cash, so he probably didn't have money for a tow or have AAA roadside assistance. Geez...

I'd definately say check your oil pump when Tim comes over and maybe replace it. See what happens. Don't go off the deep end and go looking for a new L82 yet...

You know you need to pull the oil pan to get to the oil pump? This means you need to pull the oil pan, which means you need to pull the cradle. Might as well get a new motor they are cheap enough.

Thank-you for pointing out the obvious. Not all of us can go running to our parents to hit them up for money for things that "should be cheap enough". :roll:

You have failed to take into account the fact that he may not have the time, resources, or mechanical knowledge available to do what you suggested. I'm sure that installing a new oil pump, based on the time involved (if that infact solves the problem) would be a better idea. Doing that is sure as hell a lot cheaper and less time consuming, then having to buy and then install a new/er engine. How's he going to find a new/er engine anyway in a yard or somewhere else locally? It's not like he has a car to drive to look, and then how is he going to get the engine to his car?!? Not everyone has a pickup or a huge SUV to carry an engine. You assume way too much.

Therefore, IIRC he said he's short on both time and money, so then his best bet would be attempting to fix the oil pump. It's that simple. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's back to the drawing board.

Last time I checked pulling the engine cradle was almost as time consuming as pulling an engine?

And I assume to much? You said he "may" for all of that.

Almost is the key word here Tony. It may take almost as much time to swap an engine, but the underlying fact is the fixing the oil pump takes less time.

I did say may only because I don't personally know LumiDriver. I don't feel it's appropriate to pass judgement on someone I don't know. You can't tell me that the logistics involved in getting a new engine would not be complicated or near impossible for someone who only has one car. He said he needed a fast and inexpensive fix so he could make it to class and work. Futher, C-Bad made a very important point. Most of the 3100's you might find in the yard anyway are there because of a LIM problem, resulting in a ruined or damaged engine. If he were to do that, he might end up with more problems to fix. You never know...

Glad to hear that everything seems to be okay! I'm assuming you put in the Lucas Oil Stabilizer or whatever it is? Hopefully that'll fix your problem, so make sure you are nice to her! :wink:

well, im at school now, and the damn thing ran better than the day I got it! That lucas really worked. I wonder if it was clogged when I get my oil changed I am gonna do the engine flush as well. If I have the money. my PC broke last night as well, so life isnt very good...

search for the info on how to do a kerosean flush.....

maybe that will get some of the crap outta there...

could also try that Chemtool-12 stuff or whatever it is....dump some in the crankcase and run for 5 min. and drain....

read the directions.

I'm still going nuts. Since Tim put that Lucas into my engine. It's running spectacular. Nothing. Even the old lifter tick that used to be there (just one lifter) went away. It feels like I have a lot more HP than I did. It's smooth on accel and beautiful at highway speeds. I wonder if it was just a clogged Oil Pump. I really want to take it to PA in like 2 weeks, and if it makes it there, me and my dad can rip the damn thing apart and fix whats wrong with it.

well before you make any 8 hour trips, i'd flush out the engine with some engine flush, and change the oil and see how it runs... and if it runs fine i'd not even mess with it.

Lancaster Area. Actually, a little town called Elizabethtown, then York, then probably Emigsville.

That town actually exists (Elizabethtown). Isnt that a movie as well. I just rented it IIRC.

Figured this would be a good place to ask this... when I changed my oil and went to full synthetic a few months ago I figured i'd do an engine flush with the Chemtool stuff I found at walmart. Read the directions, basically said pour in X much and start, no revving, let idle for like 5min.

Well I went, added it... then the engine woulden't start. Tried and tried, woulden't start. I about shit myself... said screw it and went ahead and just changed the oil then it worked fine.

What in the heck happened?

Figured this would be a good place to ask this... when I changed my oil and went to full synthetic a few months ago I figured i'd do an engine flush with the Chemtool stuff I found at walmart. Read the directions, basically said pour in X much and start, no revving, let idle for like 5min.

Well I went, added it... then the engine woulden't start. Tried and tried, woulden't start. I about shit myself... said screw it and went ahead and just changed the oil then it worked fine.

OH OH I KNOW I KNOW your car said "FUCK YOU AND YOUR CHEMICAL SHIT" :lol:

Well if it didn't even try to crank over... something non-oil related.......

Oh it tried and tried to crank, just woulden't turn over.

Did you change the filter?? Might have got oil on some connection for the starter, I dunno

When I blew the 2.8 in my fiero from a bad oil pump I drove it home from the cottage (390kms) yup she made it all the way back. When I looked at the dipstick the oil looked like silver acrylic enamel. It had a knock (spun a bearing). I needed this car bad , work wasent far but my g/f was! So I decided to chance it. I went to walmart and bought 4 litres of SAE 30w oil. Shit was as thick as honey. It eased my knock down to a tick. I got 5000kms out of a blown motor from useing this stuff! I drove that car without a care the whole time even though I was almost right into the red on the oil gauge at idle. What killed it was me driving to niagra falls and back lol QEW+bad bearing clearances+ TH125 3SPD/3K REVS at 120kms=LOUD FRIKKEN KNOCK EVEN WITH 30 GRADE OIL. The car just got to clacking so loud it sounded like it was going to granade. So I parked it and pulled the 2.8 in exchange for another.

ID also like to add the car made it all the way from burlington ont to niagra falls and halfway back before it started to knock beyond belief ;).