Im about to cry

LumiDriver

Went to Arbys a few minutes ago, just to pick me up a tasty Chicken Bacon Swiss Sandwich. Oil Pressure Light comes on. OH FUCK. Well, lifters start ticking and bad noises. I limped her home. I need this car, work, school, etc, etc, anyone have any ideas on what would cause such an issue?

Clogged oil pump probably. I would try to use a engine flush in the engine and follow the recommend way of starting the engine for a few minutes with that engine flush. Drain the whole oil and replace the oil filter as might loosen and rid some of the gunk in the oil pan.

I've seen that happen on my relatives car and it's quick fix and if not I've replaced the oil pump to get it fixed.

Don't forget to change oil around 3,000miles as it might cause the oil to suffer a black death and starts forming into a hardened black gunk which clogs your oil pump.

I've been pretty good about changing the oil regularly. Although my odometer doesnt work most of the time, i can figure abotu 3k in about 2 months. Its about that time. Problem is for me, money. got fired, no cash, and I need to have my car fixed so I can still go to school, and find a new job. ARG. Tim's coming over here tomorrow to help me see what we can do about it. I figured it was the oil pump. If I need to replace it, how hard is it to do on a lumina?

your very first mistake was driving the car so much as an inch more before finding the cause. any damage that might have been preventable is probably irreversable by now. not saying its toast, but its probably time to shop for a new 3100.

I wouldnt necessarily say that. Your best bet is to do a oil change and add an additive to the oil. Something that will stop ticking. Something like STP oil treatment or Bardahl 2 (which is what I use). Make sure that if you put an additive in though, put it in before you put the new oil in. Once everything is all good, start the car and just let it idle for a few minutes.

unfortuneately, not all of us have two cars, so we have to rely on our one car for everything, I would have drove it home as well. (dont worry bud im broke too)

well if you rely on ONE car for everything, then it sure would make sense to be sure as to not damage it further. i'm not saying that his is 100% shot, but seriously if you are broke, i can gaurentee that an oil pump is cheeper then a entire engine, theres no good reason to have risked further damage.

I wouldnt necessarily say that. Your best bet is to do a oil change and add an additive to the oil. Something that will stop ticking. Something like STP oil treatment or Bardahl 2 (which is what I use). Make sure that if you put an additive in though, put it in before you put the new oil in. Once everything is all good, start the car and just let it idle for a few minutes.

If your fuel pump is clogged, adding an oil treatment will likely make the situation worse. Most thicken the oil and that is the last thing you need if your pump is clogged.

unfortuneately, not all of us have two cars, so we have to rely on our one car for everything

all the more reason not to risk further damage by continuing to drive it

I guess, but sometimes you do what you gotta do to get it home. I know ive had to do it sometimes, although I didnt like ti much. I am pretty much in the same boat though, my visa is racked, and I have 53 cents in my bank account. I would never be able to pay for a tow job. So what am i gonna do park my car over night at arbys, have arbys have it towed because it sat in the lot too long and then pay for a tow anyways along with a fee to get your car out of the impound lot, I think not, Ill take my chances. :razz:

That sucks man. Most instances in which the oil pressure drops and everything starts ticking in a 3100 is a broken cam from what I've heard. The end of the cam is geared to the oil pump drive. In most cases the engine seizes, but it will run for a little bit. Have you used any oil stabilizers like Lucus recently?

Nah, i havebnt used anything like that, c rap, I thought it was just going to be an oil pump thingy....

what makes me wonder is that a few days ago my oil pressure light came on for like 5 seconds and then went right back off

Could be a weak pump, or a clogged screen, but its impossible to drop the pan and check, the 3100 has 4 bolt mains and the side bolts for the mains go throught the side of the pan. Either way, it looks like you're going to have to pull the motor.

I would just pick up a new 3100, they should be easy to find and not to expensive.

If you don't have cash, hit up the bank of Mommy and Daddy...

did you check the oil level?

my old crown vic used to hit me with the low oil pressure light when it got 3 quarts low, i'd throw more in and go :lol:

Wow the guy has a problem that needs help and you guys are giving him a hard time about the fact that he had to try to drive it home. He already said he's short on cash, so he probably didn't have money for a tow or have AAA roadside assistance. Geez...

I'd definately say check your oil pump when Tim comes over and maybe replace it. See what happens. Don't go off the deep end and go looking for a new L82 yet...

Wow the guy has a problem that needs help and you guys are giving him a hard time about the fact that he had to try to drive it home. He already said he's short on cash, so he probably didn't have money for a tow or have AAA roadside assistance. Geez...

I'd definately say check your oil pump when Tim comes over and maybe replace it. See what happens. Don't go off the deep end and go looking for a new L82 yet...

You know you need to pull the oil pan to get to the oil pump? This means you need to pull the oil pan, which means you need to pull the cradle. Might as well get a new motor they are cheap enough.

You know you need to pull the oil pan to get to the oil pump? This means you need to pull the oil pan, which means you need to pull the cradle. Might as well get a new motor they are cheap enough.

Thank-you for pointing out the obvious. Not all of us can go running to our parents to hit them up for money for things that "should be cheap enough". :roll:

You have failed to take into account the fact that he may not have the time, resources, or mechanical knowledge available to do what you suggested. I'm sure that installing a new oil pump, based on the time involved (if that infact solves the problem) would be a better idea. Doing that is sure as hell a lot cheaper and less time consuming, then having to buy and then install a new/er engine. How's he going to find a new/er engine anyway in a yard or somewhere else locally? It's not like he has a car to drive to look, and then how is he going to get the engine to his car?!? Not everyone has a pickup or a huge SUV to carry an engine. You assume way too much.

Therefore, IIRC he said he's short on both time and money, so then his best bet would be attempting to fix the oil pump. It's that simple. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's back to the drawing board.

I'd be scared to buy a used 3100 anyways, unless I was SURE that it came out of a car that was wrecked from behind or something. No need getting one that might have the bearings go if the LIM gasket problem was left untreated too long...

As for towing... EVERYONE should have AAA or equivalent, especially owning a 10+year old car!. My family has Canadian tire service so if I break down just phone them up and get a tow, hell we've even used them just to move cars (you get a certain number per year...)

Some auto insurance will re-imburse you for your towing.

Anyway, the cheapest you can do is put some Motor Flush It's called GUNK Motor Flush. Run it at idle for 5 minutes and I would suggest to raise the vehicle so that the oil drain plug is at the lowest so that all gunks wil drain away. Try using a less restrictive oil filter and use a thin oil 5W20 or 5W30 for now. I have success with that most of the time when mechanics tells me to rebuild the engine.

Thank-you for pointing out the obvious. Not all of us can go running to our parents to hit them up for money for things that "should be cheap enough". :roll:

You have failed to take into account the fact that he may not have the time, resources, or mechanical knowledge available to do what you suggested. I'm sure that installing a new oil pump, based on the time involved (if that infact solves the problem) would be a better idea. Doing that is sure as hell a lot cheaper and less time consuming, then having to buy and then install a new/er engine. How's he going to find a new/er engine anyway in a yard or somewhere else locally? It's not like he has a car to drive to look, and then how is he going to get the engine to his car?!? Not everyone has a pickup or a huge SUV to carry an engine. You assume way too much.

Therefore, IIRC he said he's short on both time and money, so then his best bet would be attempting to fix the oil pump. It's that simple. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's back to the drawing board.

Last time I checked pulling the engine cradle was almost as time consuming as pulling an engine?

And I assume to much? You said he "may" for all of that.

flush it with karioke fluid.

works every time.

IMO...your gonna spend more money trying to fix the problem the cheap way then if you just suck it in, and buy a new motor...

EVERY time that happens unless its maintence, especially if you don't know what your doing.