Well.... I'm not sure yet, but.....

warwgn3

Well C-bad, Here's the story... before I joined W-body, I had an 85 Parisienne station wagon with a souped up 350, that got poor gas mileage in the city (though it was an exellent cruiser), and needed new headers and tires, and a few minor fix-it's. The Wagon was getting too expensive to be a D.D. so I decided to buy the Firefly ($1,500 at a used dealer) to have as my D.D., and fix up the wagon as a hot rod project. But I ended up selling the wagon, and the Firefly became my only vehicle.

After a time, I began to dislike the Firefly for its small size, lack of power, and its manual transmission. I wanted something bigger than the firefly, but smaller than my old wagon, so I bought the Lumina.

And guarantee you that, as soon as the Lumina gets fully licensed, I'll be getting rid of the Firefly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• warwgn3

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• GnatGoSplat

• jeremy

This is the results from my emissions test on the Whale. It had to be retested because the horn didn't work. LOL I fixed it right there in their parking lot in 2 minutes with the guy standing behind me warning me of the airbag... :lol:

Fucking Texas just adopted emissions testing after Ohio and Mi. dropped it. :evil:

I thought only select counties had emissions testing in TX? Ohio is select counties, and Michigan (IIRC) hasn't had it in over 10 years.

Well, I think the 5th time will be the charm. I got the NOx down even more, but still didn't make it.

The NOx limit is 408, and so far I tested at:

1st: 779, with a tank of Ultra 94 octane from Sunoco,

2nd: 763, with a Throttle Body clean from Crappy Tire

3rd: 623, with a freshly cleaned EGR, and an oil change from my brother's shop

4th: 490, with a bottle of Guaranteed To Pass, and a tank of Ethanol E-10 from McEwans.

I'm SO CLOSE! going to get another bottle of G2P and try again. Hopefully this time I won't screw it up, and pass.

do you get your $ back on the "guaranteed to pass" because it failed?

read the fine print on the bottle, after you read all the expeptions and rules, and jumping through hoops its not even worth the effort to try and get your money back.

Do you get your $ back on the "Guaranteed To Pass" because it failed?
Read the fine print on the bottle. After you read all the expeptions and rules, and jumping through hoops, it's not even worth the effort to try and get your money back.
:werd:

man if that gauranteed stuff actually worked, I would put 10 in there, and surprise the shit outta the e tester guys for having like 0 emissions. :lol:

man if that gauranteed stuff actually worked, I would put 10 in there, and surprise the shit outta the e tester guys for having like 0 emissions. :lol:

The way it's supposed to work is: Fill your tank, add the bottle of G.2.P. run the tank empty (drive a min of 250 kms), refill the tank, and take the test immediately after the fill up.

I screwed it up. I drove the 250 kms, but still had a 1/4 tank left, then I put $30 in (almost full), and had to wait till the next day for the test.

The test results I got back showed that the G2P did work, but because I botched the procedure, It didn't work well enough, and I have to do it again.

Man, the Lumina is harder to pass E-test than my old wagon. I just had to throw in a tank of 94, and lean out the carb, and it would pass with flying colours without needing a G2P bottle.

Man, the Lumina is harder to pass E-test than my old wagon. I just had to throw in a tank of 94, and lean out the carb, and it would pass with flying colours without needing a G2P bottle.

Newer engines have stricter requirements...

Newer engines have stricter requirements...

It seems that way. I would have figured that the 13 yr old car with a stock V-6 would be less strict and easier to pass the test than a 21 yr old car with a 30 yr old V-8, that was not only modified, but the car's factory emissions equipment was taken out when the non original engine was swapped in. I mean everyone thinks older cars are polluters, and gas guzzlers, right?

How about increasing the ethanol ratio?
You mean switching from Ethanol blend (90% Gasoline, 10% Ethanol) from McEwans to something like E-85? That stuff is really hard to find, and is probably very expensive.

It just seems so strange that this car contiously fails when the EGR on my sister's '94 Cutlass with the 3100 hasn't worked properly for 5 years and it passed the emissions test in Milwaukee with flying colors

3100s are cleaner running engines anyways... (compared to my old 2.8 which always smelled like something.. lol)

Mine passed the last 2 e-tests no problem

You mean switching from Ethanol blend (90% Gasoline, 10% Ethanol) from McEwans to something like E-85? That stuff is really hard to find, and is probably very expensive.

How about just dumping more ethanol in there, can you find just pure ethanol?

I've read that ethanol produces a lot less NOx and probably other pollutants.

Like I just said, I don't know where to find Ethanol.

Like I just said, I don't know where to find Ethanol.

Dunno about Ontario...but I'm pretty sure even in Saskatchewan it is near impossible to buy straight ethanol. Only thing you can get is E85 from the Husky station...might be able to find a higher concentration at a farming place though

Dunno about Ontario...but I'm pretty sure even in Saskatchewan it is near impossible to buy straight ethanol. Only thing you can get is E85 from the Husky station...might be able to find a higher concentration at a farming place though
I've never seen E85 anywhere. The fact that Even E10 is hard to find, makes me believe the E85 is practically nonexistant in Ontario. The only places I know that sell E10 is McEwans 89 octane, and Sunoco's 94 octane.

call any local LARGE truck stops in your area and see what they carry. My truck stops in my area are now carrying the E-85

I browsed through this whole thread but didn't see any note about checking the car's computer for trouble codes. I know a car won't pass inspection (here at least) if the check engine light is on, but the computer can store codes even if the light isn't on.

I had an intermittent light with a code for the egr valve. It was not severely blocked, but I completely disassembled it, including the valve itself, solenoids, etc ( digital EGR, I assume that's what we're dealing with here) and cleaned it thoroughly. The light hasn't come on since. The triangular gasket in between 2 of the parts of the valve was not available for sale anyplace that I checked, but reusing the old one hasn't caused any problems. Oh, also I tested the solenoids by using wires and a 9.6v battery pack from an R/C car to connect the terminals on the valve. All the solenoids should actuate crisply. If they don't, or if the inside of the valve hasn't been cleaned thoroughly, it could be part of the problem. Good luck!

i had a hard time pasisng my e-test, so i put on a non gutted cat, still failed, ran a bottle of gaurenteed to pass, still failed, changed the 02, and checked the injectors ect ect. still failed. then i ran some 91 octane gas from pioneer (with 10% ethenol) and passed with flying colours. (no G2P bottle either)

things to do before an e-test

oil change within 60km-100 km

beat the shit out of the car then bring it for the etest, let it idle well its waiting

go on cheapo gas (like 88 octane)

if your failng on the idle portion only, turn down you idle (using a torx bit on your TB)

then you will pass