Well.... I'm not sure yet, but.....

warwgn3

I think this might be it for the Lumina. So far, I've already spent almost $1,800 (including purchase) on the car, and it's still not on the road. I'm starting to think that it could be time to sell off the car, and get something else that's safety/E-test certified off the bat.

If I have to spend more money on repairs just to get it licensed, than paid for it ($1,000) then, it's not worth keeping.

I'm going to think about this for a bit, and start looking at cars to trade the Lumina for, if nobody on here wants it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• warwgn3

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• GnatGoSplat

• jeremy

If I have to spend more money on repairs just to get it licensed, than paid for it ($1,000) then, it's not worth keeping.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, you already have spent $1800 on it, what's another couple hundred to have a car on the road? otherwise you may loose all the money you spent trying to get it there.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, you already have spent $1800 on it, what's another couple hundred to have a car on the road? otherwise you may loose all the money you spent trying to get it there.

Right, anything we can help solve?

2 E-tests, 2 fails. If it keeps on failing, then I'm just wasting my money. In my province, a Full Pass on the E-test is required for re-sale and ownership transfer of a vehicle. A Conditional Pass ("it failed, but it's too costly to repair, so you get out of jail free") can only apply to those renewing an already licensed vehicle.

If I can't get the car to pass the E-test, then the car is useless to me. I can't keep driving it on temporary permits. I'll have to trade it in and use the money to get another car.

I paid $2000 for my car, and another $2000 to safety it (it had been e-tested, and recently passed again). It was worth it though, cause I love the car and it's in good condition. About 5-6years ago I bought my 88 GP for $2000 safetied+etested, and really got my money's worth out of that thing!

Has your car passed safety? I needed to do a bunch of stuff to my 95- full brake job, mufflers, wheel bearing, alignment, power window motor, turn signal switch, and a bunch of other little things which quickly added up...

Yes the car passed safety, but it was a cheater safety, just to get it on the road. Maybe you can afford to pay $4,000 on a car, but I can't. It would take half the year to make that with my job. when buying a car I always limit myself to $1,500.

I like the Lumina, but I don't like it that much. I'm a B-body fan, so if the Lumina fails another E-test, and I have to get rid of it, and get another car, I won't lose any sleep over it.

My advice- find a new job. 8000 Canadian a year isn't even enough to really live on. 1800 including the purchase price is nothing, I paid more than that to just buy my car, then threw another 400 in parts and 150 in taxes and liscence. Those are US dollars.

E-Test I assume are emissions? With that being the case, get out and drive the shit out of it for a good 90 mins, and then take it in for a E-test. If it fails again, replace the CAT and O2. 90 min drive again, and e-test. If it fails again, find some poor thing that will buy a 3.4 and unload it. I have MUCH more than I paid for in my TGP, but at least the 3.1 has a far superior reliability track record.

I already put a new cat on it. The O2 sensor is working, and has nothing to do with what the car failed on. Crappy Tire reccomend replacing the O2 sensor, spark plugs, T.B. cleaner, and a "Terra Clean". Again, none of which have anything to do with what the car failed on Emissions.

My brother was reading on W-body about other W's failing NOx on the driving part of the Emissions test, and they all pointed to dirty or non funtional EGR's. Since my brother tested the EGR, and it's working just fine, he gathered that it just needs to be cleaned, so he's going to attempt that today. And just for the record, a New EGR will cost me $350 up here, for the part only.

Thats what I forgot to mention, the EGR. For some reason the 60* motors like to gum those things up. I have yet to run across one that doesnt have some amount of gunk, or be completely blocked. Good luck. (still drive it for 90 mins befor your next e-test thou, get that CAT nice and hot).

Well, we cleaned out the EGR, and gave it an oil change. It helped a bit, but it still failed the Nitrogen Oxide driving E-test AGAIN (3 times now). It keeps getting lower and lower though. The limit is 408, and it tested at 779, 763, 623.

We're going to fill the tank up with Ethanol E-10, and pour in a bottle of G2P to see if it will help any.

My cutlass has always been very well below the limits set in either MD or PA for every single measured level of emissions. What were the two previous test levels or NOx?

I say forget it and drive the Metro (eh...."Firefly") in your sig. Gas mileage roxors.

As much as I hate the Firefly (canadian Metro), I might have to. That thing is a piece of crap. Its definatly not built for long haul highway road trips. Why?

It's lightweight (1,700 lbs), and gets blown around by wind very easily,

It's very small, and cramped, I'm 5'9" and have no room to stretch,

No A/C, no Cruise Contol, a definate must on a 10 hour trip

It's a stick (I fucken hate manuals),

It can't haul anything (3 people @ 200lbs ea., and the car's weight limit is maxed out),

It runs at 4,000 RPM at 120km/h (75mph), so it gets worse gas mileage on the highway, than the city.

It takes atleast 25 seconds to get to highway cruising speed, my foot is on the floor, and it's still struggling to get to 100km/h after the on ramp has ended.

What were the two previous test levels or NOx?

Mike, read my previous post before this reply to you.

Doh. How in the hell did I miss that. Sorry :lol: I'd say try cleaning the EGR again hardcore. I'm not sure what else to tell you to try. You've done everything that I would have done in your position.

Well, I was able to get the car transfered int my name, as "unplated", so I can have another 10 day trip permit to attempt more E-tests.

My brother filled the tank with Ethanol E-10 last night, and poured in the bottle of Guaranteed To Pass. Now I'll just have to run the tank empty, and take the test again after I fill up.

Crappy Tire reccomend...

Gah! I've heard too many horror stories to trust Canadian tire to even change my oil, yes something so simple. My favorite horror story, my friends dad sent his Jeep Grand Charokee there to have the fluids changed. Afterwards, the engine ceased. It turned out they put Engine oil in the tranny and tranny fluid in the engine. The only thing they did right was replace the engine, and even then they only paid to have it done, it was done elsewhere. This identical situation ALSO happened to my uncle from the same Crappy tire about a year after.

You don't need any sort of training to get a job in a crappy tire Garage, people in my 11th grade autoshop class were working there, mind you that was a number of years ago.

Go somewhere else for a new opinion....

NO OFFENCE to anyone here working at Canadian Tire, they aren't all morons, I'm sure there has to be a few certified mechanics in the company

I'm with the others...EGR valve is probably your best bet, although I can't see it producing numbers as bad as you have, thats crazy. When I got my car last Sept (Paid $5200 CDN for it, after taxes and licensing fees) it passed with a 400, by the time the next test comes up its going to be needing some work. I've dumped a LOAD of money into my car since buying it, I won't be shocked if within the next year I go over the $10,000 mark (planning an L67 Swap), but I love my baby...and I'm not rich, I don't work 40 hours a week and I make less money now per hour than I ever have before, even in highschool I was making more... :cry:

Jamie

Well, I was able to get the car transfered int my name, as "unplated", so I can have another 10 day trip permit to attempt more E-tests.

My brother filled the tank with Ethanol E-10 last night, and poured in the bottle of Guaranteed To Pass. Now I'll just have to run the tank empty, and take the test again after I fill up.

I hope that works for you....I am very glad that MI no longer has emission testing.....they were talking about bring it back a year or two ago, but nothing has become of it yet

Maybe you can afford to pay $4,000 on a car, but I can't. It would take half the year to make that with my job. when buying a car I always limit myself to $1,500.

Ehhhh why do you own (or plan to own) more than 1 vehicle then? I'd say forget them both and spend $3000 at least on something that runs decent and has passed e-test/safety. I bought my old 88 GP for $2000 e-tested and certified. Man, you are only gonna get "fixed uppers" (aha JUNK) for $1500! This is Ontario- anything that cheap is gonna be old and rusty. Sounds like you've already spend too much on that Lumina just trying to get it on the road... you could have just paid a little more and bought something from a used car dealership....

Luckily no emissions here....if so my RX-7 would never be on the road again lol....

Hope you get the Lumina on the road soon dude...but if she doesn't want to unload the car and get something else before you piss all your money against the wall