Full Height Spare Tire?

kheider

Since the TGP uses a 245/50/16, what size 15 tire do I want to use as a full height spare?

I would like to use a 195/xx/15 tire so that the tire will not stick far up out of the spare wheel well.

I will be making a long trip in my TGP next month and want to make sure I have a full height spare that can go 200 miles at 65MPH to the next major city if flat tire is a lost cause.

My 90 GP LE has a 205/65/15 spare and I notice that the tire sticks up out of the spare wheel well by about 2 inches.

I realize that a 195 used with 245s will probably result in a small shimmy/vibration, but it will still beat the heck out of the traditional donut spare.

-- Kevin Heider

From my calculations, you should go with a 195/70/15. Your overall height with the stock tires is 25.6" and with the 195/70/15 you will have an overall height of 25.7".

Robby

From my calculations, you should go with a 195/70/15. Your overall height with the stock tires is 25.6" and with the 195/70/15 you will have an overall height of 25.7".

Robby

Ouch! The spare wheel well on my 90 GP LE is only about 25.5" wide. I assume the TGP is the same.

My 205/65/15 fits in there with a little room to spare, but 25.6" might not fit. Does anyone know? What is the height of a new 205/65/15? My not-new 205/65/15 appears to measure 25" high.

-- Kevin Heider

Hi Kevin! Nice to hear from you!

The tire rack lists the overall sizes for many tires if you click on Tire Info. I did this when trying to decide on a bigger tire for my truck. Its alot easier than calculating out the tire size. If your wheel well is 25.5 inches, I would go with a hair smaller. As you say, it will still be better than a "donot". I hate compact spares. Since tire sizes vary a little anyway from manufacturer and wear, a half inch won't kill anything, unless you have a posi, but thats not an issue.

It looks like 195/70/15 is the closest match, but a 195/65/15 might be a better fit in the trunk. There are also many many tires in that size so you should be able to find a cheap one.

Chris

What is the height of a new 205/65/15?

From calculations again, Im gettin 25.5" height for a new 205/65/15. But, like has been said, it varies a little from manufacturer to manufacturer. Yeah, the place in your truck in your LE for the spare should be the exact same as on your TGP. Good luck, and yes donuts are really very crappy

Robby