Jeff M. TGP chips

Addicted To Boost

Here's my two cents for the day... since I know nothing on the topic I have only one thing to offer to this post its how to make a degrees symbol: hold alt while keying in 0176 on the number pad and boom you got a degrees symbol... So now you can say 185° instead of 185*. Aren't I just a plethora of knowledge today?

WOW :eek: that is good to know, really, I like that trick :mrgreen:

As for the richness of the reading this owner got (yes I have a reason for saying "this ownerâ€Â), how old was their sensor, when was it last calibrated and to what do they calibrate to? I mean a dyno wide band gets more rich running for its life then those that run them daily in their car, that has an effect on accuracy and life expectancy. Add too those coming in there burning some oil like engines with 100k+ miles and such, it don't have to be an engine badly burning oil to be burning some, that can collect on the sensor and effect it too. Then those that don't tell anyone they have leaded high octane in their tank, even if its a few diluted gallons left over from their last drag racing, these all play in on anyone wanting to bank on every dyno reading they get. Now the TGP runs on the rich side at least I hope, oh yea, you could spend the time fine tuning for an extra 10 to maybe 30 hp but that chip will only work with that engine period, no one else’s, and after a little time when your injectors get a little more gummed up and/or fuel filter gathers up some sediment or your alternator is not putting out as much so neither is your fuel pump, or you mistakenly trust the octane written on the gas station pump (no tests required or done on octane ratings!!), you find that that richness that might have helped is no longer there, oops, humpty dumpty fell off the wall. There are many other factors such as the ambient condition the day the car was finely tuned verses another maybe hotter day with the AC on and the engine nice and heat soaked, or even cold some winter month when the other fueling tables do not agree well with the changes made on that dyno day :rolleyes: All the better tuning books say there are way too many variables to have a daily driver finely tuned, they say it can, and I will say this too, that it will end in broke parts. Last, not only does every LG5 want a slightly different richness to be safe and still make good power but every engine is different such that 11.5 for one might be too rich or too lean for another, good tuners know the engines they work on and what that engine favors, SyTy engines will respond well to running as lean as 12.7 which is really pushing it on other turbo engines, if we tried that there would be some dire results, even though we can bounce around up to 10 degrees of knock retard complaining, 10 degrees or more in a SyTy engine could mean a cracked head of cracked block (yep, know some who went there) right quick, where as we might just collapse a plug or blow a head gasket, different engines also means they respond differently when knocked, ours may be knocking but its not the same as other engines knocking, and a finely tuned engine one day will find another day gives knock, how much??...who wants to find out :sad: This is why the drive/need/product has been brought out such as the device for the Buick Regal/T-Type/GN and LT1/LS1 crowd, the knock display/gauge, just like any other gauge to have staring you in the face and yelling at you in times of need, but this gauge is more critical than a boost or temp gauge or A/F gauge. Then those owners can daily drive their cars with a better peace of mind/awareness of the engine’s vitals. I am happy to say that our guys here that are tuning their TGPs engine for its best settings know these statements, and that some book saying the A/F values for a turbo car should be 12.7 for peak hp and 11.9 for peak torque is not the end all to the values to shoot for, or even get too close too because their cars are daily drivers that are open to the many variables that can ruin a good day.

Ok, that was sloppy :redface:, but I should not be here, yes dear I am done being on the PC :lol: later guys :smile:

Jeff M

Jeff you are correct to say that all engines are not the same. That is why I think with people like Invasion1 who is willing to help tune a chip to a car to get the most out of it and still be on the "safe" side with fuel levels, timing, boost abilities, etc. at the upper end is a much better bang for the buck than a generic "performance" chip that is good for all when you in fact say that no two are the same. We all know that but the newbies are learning about their cars.

FIRST AND FOREMOST ON ANY TGP is to replace ALL sensors as soon as you buy it! Next are the injectors and with what we have found for ourselves on TGPforums.com over the last few months about the 3800 series injectors and my Yellow Tops that for $170 for all six injectors and a couple of hours of work you are damn near back to a 16 year old car running like it came off the showroom floor...except better because they are "broken in" now! :wink: :lol:

You have some add-ons coming (what are you 3, 4, 6 years in the making now? :wink:) and I have add-ons coming in the next couple of months the TGP/TSTE LG5 platform motor should be doing quite well! :cool:

What annoys me more than anything is that our cars are not on any collectors lists yet! We need more attention to these cars so the faster someone puts one in the 10 second bracket the better! :lol: We need publicity! :cool:

You have some add-ons coming (what are you 3, 4, 6 years in the making now? :wink:)

:razz:

X2 :sad: Sorry Jeff but damn you need to come through with what you have promised. Your creditability has gone to"0" as far as new products. Glad to see your still healthy judging from the last post, at least your fingers still work. :biggrin:i havent red a book in a long time. :lol: When are you going to get back with the program :question:

Jud

Yes its slow, from a one man show :lol:. I cannot specialize in trannies, engines, turbos, tuning, etc enough to offer something I would trust to sell to someone in a short time like 3-6 years. Its one thing to know how they work and how to work on them, its yet another to know them well enough to make them better and to know all of what needs to be made better, and cost effective, and get a source for a low volume purchase :willynilly:. And good old Uncle Sam thinks R&D is ok but you better make a profit before too long of you are in the shitter with him :evil:. Back from 1996-2004 I was pushing and pushing myself to try and get more done, sometimes working 48 to 72 hours non stop no sleep, but that took my health down and strained my marriage (now it comes out, was trying to have a “personal†life, guess not :rolleyes:). One of the things was I spent literally most days out of each week helping through emails; boat loads more talks with TGP owners than seen on any message board, getting them first trained to understand their car and its workings and parts, then enough to know how to have me help them troubleshoot it, that is a lot of steps that if anyone thinks about how long it has taken them to get even good, can understand the length of commitment it must be for someone namely me to do this over and over for nearly everyone that came to me for help, thankfully not all :cool: were just starting out but most of our owners are young kids just getting into cars :wink:. I look back on my emails and there are at times 30-50 long ass emails from the same owners, that amount times many owners over many years, its mind boggling when you look at it all, especially with no pay for all those hundreds of hours. Then just little examples for this post such as the time it took trying to secure all stainless constructed (no others out there are that I have seen so far) xover flex joints, that took me 3 months of calls and hounding people and following leads and going to the library to search for suppliers in the SAMS (I think that is the name) catalogs, to going through my SEMA member books to all sorts of areas trying to find a source for the right parts, AND one that would deal low volume since there are not many TGPs/TSTEs :wink:. That is only a small sample, but is sucks more so for me spending all this time and not have everything ready to rush out the door :frown:, and to hear other people say I ruined their ownership that I could not deliver in time :rolleyes:, you guys are not that way ribbing me and thanks for just ribbing me and letting me unload my troubles on you :biggrin:, its ‘other†guys over the past years that have ground on me time and time again showing no care what it takes on my end, just give me the fucking parts :rolleyes:. So a year ago I backed the fuck down, and started getting some of my shit done for a change, that is why I have been so quiet and have pics of something other than TGPs and such from other owners on my web site. Thankfully here though you don’t hear it said very often :rolleyes:, and thankfully in emails where most of the owners reside for me, an understanding of what has taken up most of my life since 1996 and where I am at and why, so I know the masses are not too disgusted with my credibility :lol:, I know I can’t please everyone, just saw the 4th largest seller on ebay, with over 1,000 negatives for one month :eek:, hell I won’t except for myself even one negative from something I sell on ebay or to TGP/TSTE owners, unless I goofed but I am known by those that have actually dealt with me, I admit to it and overkill with my apologies :twisted:.

Thanks for the chance to speak, so much better than "defend" that was once the case :biggrin:. Its really great to hear respectful words from guys like Kenny and Drag Strip King Jud, these are far more motivating and encouraging for me than other forms of communications :lol:

Jeff M

Well Jeff I figured you had a heart attack or a stroke whith the hours you work. :sad: Hope that's not the case. Friend of mine just had one working night and day restoring a 36 Chevy pickup. Your about the same age and not getting any younger.

Health and marriage should be priority one and your the only one that can controll it. Align your priorities and stick to the plan. (like a busines plan) Sounds like your heading on the right track.

Dump some of thoes pm's back on the board and let some of the guys help them out. Post the kind of pm's you'll take and shun the rest. Some pretty smart guys on here. Heck I have trouble responding in a timley manner to the few pm's I get. Can't imagine 10 or 20 a day. :rolleyes:

Good luck and I hope everything returns to normal soon. :smile:

Just an old guys 2 cents.

Jud

Thank you very much Jud for those respectful words :smile:. You are correct with them more than you know, when one of the signs is a 6'2" man that is down to 145 lbs its time to decide which is more important. Its hard for me to turn away anyone needing help :frown:, and I don't like to have to beg them to cut me some slack with my time getting back to them and keep making apologies when I don’t get to them right away :rolleyes:. But I do need to say there still are quite a few that understand and they are my saving grace keeping those thoughts in the back of my head as I work each day :biggrin: And you are correct on the boards being a great source :exclaim:, no place else have I learned over the years the tricks to our most difficult troubleshooting challenges, and enjoy quoting the person that came up with them :thumb:. The collective of knowledge is always more than the one, and this “one†has been keeping notes on info from the boards for 11 years now so the pile is getting pretty big and is one of those “projects†I would like to do putting all this down on my lame-o web site, I need to cipher through the piles of info to make them coherent to access and understand but its day will come.

Thanks again Jud, your “old guys 2 cents†has gone a long way with this old guy :cheers:

Jeff M