How good is POR-15?

99vetteman

I just ordered a few cans to touch up some areas under the car.. Rockers, Trailing arms etc.

Does this product work well?

Jason

Have heard nothing but good things. Just make sure you prep and apply it right and you'll be fine. Just make sure that anywhere that is normally exposed to UV rays (i.e. Sun) gets a top coat, because it doesn't like U.V. rays.

Works great like powder coating in a can but it's impossible to lay smooth.

Whered you hear that from? You can certainly get it smooth, although you need a smooth metal to put it on first. with prep work, you get can it very smooth

WEAR GLOVES AND DON'T GET IT ON YOUR HOO HA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was WAITING for it! :willynilly:

I too am curious.. Ill need a shit ton because even driving in the summer here, the damn thing will still rust because of salt still all over the road..

My cardomain has pictures of when I did the under body of my car with POR15. Its been about a year that its been on there. And if you want to wait till tomorrow, Ill tell you how its holding up.

I was originally going to use POR-15 myself, but a car guy at my step-dads work recommended some other stuff to me (he'd never heard of POR-15). Well I investigated and it sold me for whatever reason.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1136&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=373&iSubCat=374&iProductID=1136

It costs a lot less, doesn't require as much prep/additional chemicals and doesn't technically need to be topcoated if exposed to the sun, but I plan on doing mine anyway for a gloss finish.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,39094.45.html (bottom of page)

It went on smoother in some areas than it did in others. Mostly depends on the metal underneath it. The first coat (see in those pics) I applied with one of those foam brushes. It kinda started to rip apart after the stuff started getting a little tacky and harder to use so I ended up using a roller foam brush for some of the second coat and it didn't turn out as good. Shouldn't be able to notice after I topcoat it though.

• 1 month later...

Por 15 is the shit!!! We use it on all our frames and inner fenderwells and stuff. My whole underbody is coated with it. We use a wire wheel on our angle grinder and take it to bare metal. After that we brush it on and it looks great! They are making it in colors now too. My whole dually frame is gonna be coated in the silver por 15.

love the stuff.....

-Sean