header wrap and o2 sensor

brian89gp

I know about Jet coating, but is wrapping the crossover and downpipe in header wrap gonna cause problmes. I'm only looking for a lifespan of about 2 years here, more then that i will either sell the car or upgrade the turbo :P.

And where is the best place to put the o2 sensor, on the crossover right before the turbo like: http://stankcheeze.homeip.net/forum/badgtp/IMG_0722.JPG

or on the downpipe? I'm going to be using a non-heated type and an additional WideBand sensor, and where would be a good place to put the WB?

you can place it in eather place. it won't mattery. its going to be hotter before the trubo. I am runing mine roughtly in the stock location on the downpipe. the TGP has it on the exhaust housing of the turbo. where it bolts to the X-Over pipe. Most of the cars i have ever turboed or seen truboed have it on the Downpipe. As for the WB02 as long as it is before the Cat or if you have no cat then you can put it anywhere. the CAT will change the readings and give you inaccuate readings for the WB02.

As for the X-over and Downpipe. tell me what size the piping is and measure the lenth of the piping and i can get a Jet coating cost for you. its not terribly expencive.

I plan on Jet coating and Wrapping the exhaust pipes. I want to lower the temps as much as possible as well as keep things from melting.

TimG and myself allready bolted my extra jet coated manfiold on his car..

Stock Manifold Radiated TONS of heat in the engine bay. i could feel it if i put my had anywere between the rad. and the motor. W/ the Jet coated manfiold it didn't radiate heat but it was hat if you touched it. the underhood temps drop dramatically if you jet coat it. My roomate and I also noticed the same thing on his 2001 Type R that we turboed.

Shane

2 front manifolds, you should know the price for those

crossover: 30" at 2.25"

downpipe: 36" at 2.5"

I still want to know about just wrapping it without jet coating.

2 front manifolds, you should know the price for those

crossover: 30" at 2.25"

downpipe: 36" at 2.5"

I still want to know about just wrapping it without jet coating.

Is it stainless steel or mild steel? i heard keeping it wraped will keep the heat on the welds and it will crack. thats why TOG says you will have some warrenty problems if you wrap w/ header wrap. Jet coating is done inside and out so it will keep the heat off the welds from the inside. Stainless steel is ALLOT better at keeping heat in the pipes then mild steel. mild will allow heat transfers MUCH more then stainless (not a good thing)

BTW how far along are you? Do you have your Xover/DP built?

Hope this helps.

Shane

Mild steel, and exactly, I know that header wrap will destroy the crossover but will it last me 2 years before it does?

Crossover, IC, and 90% of the intake piping is done.

now about the down pipe, should i stick a flex joint in it and if so where? I have a flex in the crossover on the rear bank side if that matters any. I plan on running the dp down to below the sway bar where it turns horizontal to the exhaust system, and a 3 bolt non flex flange will put in right after it turns horizontal.