Why I'm not a very big fan of Infinity speakers.

GnatGoSplat

IMG_0219.jpg

Apparently those plastic cones weren't heat resistant (definitely not caused by sunlight, they were mounted down low in the doors where sunlight never hits 'em).

Damn, that sucks! Is this conclusive proof that Infinitys are "overrated?"

IMHO, you can't go wrong with Boston Acoustics...

Did you ever send those pictures to Infinity??

I couldnt imagine mine crumbling like that, but Infinity is by no means a good speaker, even though I have the 6", tweeters and 6x9's they could do a better job.

Well, they actually sounded pretty good. I didn't buy them (came with my truck), but I researched this particular model on Google and they did pretty good in published reviews. I think it's a materials/quality issue, but I don't care how good they sound, I'm not going to buy speakers that are going to crack, crumble, and fall apart in 2-3yrs.

I've sent an email to Infinity with a link to the pic, but I doubt they'll even bother to read the email. Even if they do, they'll probably just ignore it. The speakers are long out of warranty, although this type of failure is pretty ridiculous.

I guess I should be lucky they lasted as long as they did. I found a user review of the same type of speakers in 5.25" size and he had 2 sets that cracked in just a few months.

All four of my Infinity speakers are exposed to sunlight, UV rays, and they still look brand new. But they do tell you do not expose to extreme heat.

I put 6.5" Alpine Type-S in my RX-7 and they seem pretty good so far....I guess I won't know how they hold up for a few years.....

I was going to buy Infinty for my Lumina, but was told to stay away from them...so that's what I did lol...

I always thought Infinity was a good brand?

There higher end stuff is good.

Infinity is a good brand ( I dont wanna sound like an asshole here so please dont take it as such ) But just because one person has a bad experience with what could have been defective material, doesnt mean the whole brand is bad.

Infinity is a good brand ( I dont wanna sound like an asshole here so please dont take it as such ) But just because one person has a bad experience with what could have been defective material, doesnt mean the whole brand is bad.

Better make that "two people". Read the first review

Might be just this series that has the problem, I don't hear too many stories about Infinity speakers cracking. As expected, email was ignored, although I would have been shocked if they DID reply.

I wasn't brave enough to replace them with another set of Infinity's though. I replaced them with a set of MA Audio components.

I got a set of Infinity Reference 6X9s from a friend and they did that exact thing, they started to crack and deteriorate on the woofer.

We took them to Circuit City because one of them was blown, and we had the speaker protection plan. The guy almost didn't give us the warranty because of the tears in the woofer. He took the speakers to the guys in Car Audio, and those guys told him it was common for the Reference speakers to do that.

I got the new speakers though so I'm happy. I still have them in my Beretta 6 years later. I haven't looked at them since, so I don't know if these are deteriorated as well. They still sound good, and have been fed 100 RMS watts for the 6 years I have had them.

My opinion is: For ~$100 or so they are good speakers.

I've always thought about getting a set of Infinity Kappa 6X9's for the Beretta, but for $250 I'm still happy enough with the References, deteriorated woofer or not.

I have a set of the old Infinity Kappa 10" subs (the green/turquise woofer) that I have had since 1998, and they still sound great! They were expensive at the time though. Subs these days are getting cheap. Maybe it's because I'm getting used to buying HOME audio, OMG I'll never think car audio is expensive ever again!

I love my Boston Acoustics, and my Pioneer 4 ways

I always thought Infinity was a good brand?

There higher end stuff is good.

Yeah their higher end products are good but you can't go over the rms peak power rating of their speakers because it blows them really fast.

This type of damage seems to be only limited to the "reference" line by Infinity. All of their other stuff seems to be of fairly high quality.

I still have their old style reference 4" speakers up front in the dash ( you know the white cone ones ) I have those in there for 2 years and there still holding up. I have their new style reference 6x9 speakers in the back for about a year and there holding up good as well. All speakers are not covered so there exposed to UV rays and everything. so I duno. Ive had good luck with em, as have many people, but I guess their QC was a little off.

that blows. maybe they'll actually feel bad and give ya new ones...which will do that in 2 years :willynilly:

i love boston acoustics

Wow that's crazy!

I forget the model I had before (6.5" 2-way) in my old car.. bought them used and sold them after they were still good. I liked the sound and like the new reference components I got for the front and reference 6x9s in the car now.

THANK YOU!!!!! I've always been a HUGE fan of Boston Acoustics!!! I was actually considering getting some Infinity speaker but not anymore.

Just an update!

Got a response from Infinity on the 9th:

I'm sorry to hear of this. It is actually a UV inhibitor issue,

even though they were not in direct sunlight. I can replace them for

you. Please email back with your shipping address and I will make the

arrangements.

So I responded with my address and today I got another email:

I have just issued the RA (# 60275263) to have your unit replaced.

Please box up the unit for safe shipping, include all accessories and

send it to:

(details removed)

I also received an invoice attached:

Order No  Item    Description              Your Price Quantity Extended Price 
60275263  REF652I  REFERENCE 6.5" 2-WAY MULTIELEMENT   $0.00   1 / Pair $0.00    [Returning]
1119683  REF6012I  6.5" 2-WAY MULTIELEMENT        $0.00   1 / Pair $0.00    - (Pending)

Total Order Value: $0.00

Looks like I'm getting some new Reference 6012i's. Woohoo!

I'm actually very impressed that they admitted to the problem and are replacing them for free, well outside of warranty. I know many companies would have just ignored my email. That definitely makes me feel better about their company and products.