aftermarket HU installation

R Dubya

Is there a way to make the deck flush with the stereo bezel, or do I have to install my deck and have it hang out 3 inches with a massive mounting unit?

I have seen it done before on a car on ebay, and I really would prefer not to destroy any of the plastic mounting for the stock stereo, but have never seen it in person. All decks I have seen usually come out a few inches in cars of this type.

New HU is a sony CDX-FW570. maybe 6 1/2" deep, normal size deck, not 1.5 DIN.

Any input??

That cd player may work, but most cd players are longer than the stock unit. My cd player hangs out about 1" which isnt much, but your options are kinda limited. Either cut the plastic so it will fit, or find an OEM size cd player. Theres some that will fit right in there and be flush but they dont look good IMO

try uising a metra install kit (99-2001) it is actually inset about a 1/4 of an inch so that

there is no cutting. I used it in my 96 cutlass with a pioneer deh-p680mp.

what year is your car? If it has that stuid double stereo peice then C-BAD has a dash kit for that. If it isnt then they do sell dash kits that go for that car and they maybe hang out a half inch ... but I still dont understand what the problem is and why you would want to make yourself one when they sell them at Wally World :lol:

They don't sell flush mount kits at wally world (or anywhere) for the 88-93 GP's.

The whole problem is the lack of depth in the radio box (and the big steel support bar behind it). This is why there is only one style of dash kit for our cars, and why no one makes a flush style kit. I'm with Ryan, I didn't want an ugly ass kit that sticks my radio out like that either.

If you don't mind cutting the back for the depth, you can use the kit for a 99-02 Chevy Silverado to give it a finished look rather than making your own bezel. The kit in my Silverado actually insets the radio maybe 5/16". I have a JVC KD-AVX2 in my truck, and its faceplate only sticks out about 1/8" or 3/16" past the face of the kit.