what the #$%^*????!!!

intern8tion9l

ok so i don't know who all read my post a few weeks ago about breaking that shift cable, but i finally got it fixed. took 3 weeks to find the part and 8 hours to change it. long story short i broke the #$^% thing AGAIN tonight. worse than last time, snapped the cable right in two pieces. so after i got it towed to my house and stopped swearing(kinda) i decided to come here and ask for some insight. has anyone had this problem???

How did you break the shift cable? I haven't replaced any but I have pulled them from junkyards. I don't get what is so damn hard?

Is it a OEM cable? or a junkyard one. I would spend the money for OEM.

yeah, my friend had one let go on his old 88 international. we tried for over THREE MONTHS to get a replacement, and in the end we sent the car to the junkyard over it.

well there are 2 cables in there. the one that i don't need is as you said, $200. the other one is discontinued. pulling it from the junkyard wasn't the big problem, the problem was all the work involved on my car. the way the turbo setup is, the downpipe runs directly over the bracket holding the cables to the tranny. so like everything has to come off the drivers side of the motor. it sucks really bad

Guest TurboSedan

well there are 2 cables in there. the one that i don't need is as you said, $200. the other one is discontinued. pulling it from the junkyard wasn't the big problem, the problem was all the work involved on my car. the way the turbo setup is, the downpipe runs directly over the bracket holding the cables to the tranny. so like everything has to come off the drivers side of the motor. it sucks really bad

that's strange, i'd have to say replacing shifter cables probably only takes me about 1/2 hour? i don't remove anything but the cables themselves. besides the small 10mm nut holding the cables to the bracket and the two 15mm nuts holding the cable ends on, they come right out.

never have broken a cable yet...but i do have two sets of cables in my garage just in case :) bought one set from a junkyard down in Denver just last week.[br]Posted on: April 20, 2006, 10:01:21 PM_________________________________________________i just went out and took a look at my car. yeah...that one 10mm nut on the cable bracket is a bitch (this piece). it's so close to the downpipe that the stud wore a hole through the SS mesh! the good thing though is that you don't have to completely remove the nut from the stud. i would suggest using the open end of a stubby 10mm wrench. just loosen it enough so that you can turn the cable hold down piece 90 degrees. they should come right out then. IIRC i put the shifter cables in before i had the downpipe installed so sorry i implied that it was "easy" in my last post :redface:

any ideas on why the cable is breaking? is it hard to get into gear?

good luck man

yeah without the downpipe its nothing! haha. and no, it goes into gear nicely. in fact calvin, my dad is also set on the idea that the heat is whats causing them to break. but if nobody else is having this problem it doesn't seem to make much sense

yeah without the downpipe its nothing! haha. and no, it goes into gear nicely. in fact calvin, my dad is also set on the idea that the heat is whats causing them to break. but if nobody else is having this problem it doesn't seem to make much sense

Aren't the cables metal with plastic ends?

yeah theres a metal rod that goes to a plastic end which is bolted to the tranny.

So is it breaking where the metal meets plastic?

Ive only seen the first one he broke, I havent seen this recent one. But the one I saw, where the bracket holds it down, that round metal piece, the cable frayed right off of that, on the side that goes into the car from the tranny.

He told me what this current one he broke was like, and I believe he said the metal rod just broke.

But no its not breaking where the metal and the plastic are.