Eaton M90 Supercharger Oil Change

99RegalGS

Here's a writeup on how to change the S/C oil on 96+ L67's. I wanted to make my own writeup because the writeup I saw didn't have pictures.

Parts you need:

-2 bottles of GM Supercharger Oil Update!! GM has changed the part #. Part # is now 10953513. Old number: P/N 12345982

-A 3/16 Hex bit and driver. I had to use the electric screwdriver seen in the picture to get the extra leverage I needed to break the plug loose.

-A cleaned out liquid soap bottle with pump.

DSC01597%20(Small).JPG

Procedure:

-Make sure engine is cold.

-Using the 3/16 bit, remove this plug on the snout of the S/C.

DSC01596%20(Small).JPG

-Here's the plug removed. The oil level was low. This is Typical if the S/C oil has never been changed.

DSC01598%20(Small).JPG

-Remove the pump from the soap bottle and place the suction end of the pump into the hole. Pump the old oil into the soap bottle. The old oil will smell very bad and will be a brownish color.

-Here's the soap bottle with the oil fluid in it. FYI the new fluid is clear.

DSC01600%20(Small).JPG

-Fill the S/C with the new oil up to the bottom of the threads on the hole. Do not overfill! It will take almost both bottles to fill the S/C. The S/C oil bottles have a suntan lotion type dispenser so a funnel isn't necessary.

-Here's the new oil in the S/C filled up to the bottom thread. It's hard to see the oil, but it's there.

DSC01601%20(Small).JPG

-Put the plug back into the S/C. Make sure it's snug. It doesn't need to be torqued very much to seal properly.

-Wipe up the area if you had spilled any oil and clean up. You're Done. :)

Wow, nice write up!

I've always heard that changing the supercharger oil is hard, but that doesn't look bad at all.

It would be really easy if you had a pnuematic pump like we have at work.

Wow, nice write up!

I've always heard that changing the supercharger oil is hard, but that doesn't look bad at all.

It would be really easy if you had a pnuematic pump like we have at work.

Thanks. It was VERY EASY. Took me a whole 10 minutes from start to finish. lol

And the soap pump worked very well actually. I was surprised.

And that shit fucking stinks!

Yes it does smell bad. It's a good thing it was windy today. lol

• 5 weeks later...

how often is changing th S/C oil necessary?

GM will tell you that it's recommended to change it out at 100K. Most L67 owners on these forums change out their sc oil a lot more frequently than that as they don't exactly baby their cars. I changed mine out at 30,000 miles on my GTP to find it slightly underfilled(they pretty much all are from the factory) and it was pretty dark by that point. I'll stick to my 30K intervals from now on, it's only $10-12 to change...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

can this oil be purchased anywhere other then a GM dealer?

Not that I know of.

Wait, ZZP I think sells it. If you need help with the change, I'll head down to Livonia.

Excellent writeup! My mom has a 1998 Bonneville SSEI with a L67, and as far as I know, the supercharger has never had a oil change, so it will be getting one sometime in the near future.

• 1 year later...

I changed mine htis weekend after reading this article.

I used a baby nose bugger sucker and a piice of clear tubing to get down into the supercharger better. There were some low cavities in there that were hard to get to without a little length.

I would also add that 1/4 inch fuel line slides on the GM bottle quite nicely for putting the fresh fluid back in without having a funnel that small. Just squeeze jently...