Which Transmission Do I Have?

fender2082

How do I know which transmission I have? '93 Cutlass Supreme SL, 3100.... dude at the tranny shop told me there were several available for that car/yeah. Is it stamped on the housing somewhere or are there telltale signs? I want to replace it with identical if possible. thanks!!!

Most likely the 4T60-E, though if it's a three speed it would be the 125C (I think that's the designation code).

Most (not all?) have it stamped on the tranny pan.

the 4 speeds have it stamped on the tranny pans, the 3 speeds have hydramatic stamped on it and nothing more.

i know that since mine is a 3 speed :P

you most likely have a 4 speed, if you have a gear position on the cluster that says (OD) that means overdrive.

If it's an SL, it has the 4T60E. Only the base ( S ) models got the 125C in '93. Furthermore, if it's a 3100, and not a 3.1 MPFI, then it HAS to have the 4T60E.

According to VIN, engine = 'T' code, LHO 3.1L V6 (Gen II)

Intake is stamped with 3.1L MPFI as well, so it's not a '3100'.

Interesting note... doors have SL badging... but VIN says 'H' - Cutlass Supreme, rather than 'S' for the SL... my '95 also has SL badging and an H code... and they have completely different backgrounds, other than the fact they were both built in Georgia... did Olds not recognize the 'S' distinction in the VIN's at the time or what? Hmmm.... Makes ya think. Anyway, I'll try to sneak a peak at the tranny pan over the weekend... I don't have ramps so we'll see. Shifter is P-R-N-'OD'-D-2-1. Sooooo... engine and VIN leave it up in the air, but the overdrive and the door trim say 4T60E. I just don't wanna buy a tranny if I find one for cheap and then have it be different. Lookin to sell the '95 to pay to repair this thing... we'll see how it goes.

If it's an SL, it has the 4T60E. Only the base ( S ) models got the 125C in '93. Furthermore, if it's a 3100, and not a 3.1 MPFI, then it HAS to have the 4T60E.

i didn't know they made 3-speeds in '93...

Interesting note... doors have SL badging... but VIN says 'H' - Cutlass Supreme, rather than 'S' for the SL... my '95 also has SL badging and an H code... and they have completely different backgrounds, other than the fact they were both built in Georgia... did Olds not recognize the 'S' distinction in the VIN's at the time or what?

The "S" VIN indication wasn't used on the 92+ SL models. ALL Cutlass Supremes from 92+ ( except international ) were VIN "H" ( Cutlass Supreme S ). The SL was just a package on the S that included the 4 speed auto trans on 92-93 models.