Need opinions on caliper color

19Cutlass94

What color should the calipers be painted?  

1. 1. What color should the calipers be painted?

• black
    • red
    • grey
    • yellow
    • screw it, leave em rusted color.
    • Some other color (post in thread)

Im going to be paintin my caliper in about 2 weeks when I have a week off from school and when I wax my car. Question is what color would look best on the calipers? Im thinking black but I wanted to get some opinions first.

Heres a reference picture.

803598_41_full.jpg

I dont think its the best pictures but I think you guys can make it out.

you start coloring your brakes, you'll start painting everything else, and then the next thing you know, you'll have a 3 - foot useless wing LOL

I'd recomend painting 'em black ... nice clean look.

--Dave.

you start coloring your brakes, you'll start painting everything else, and then the next thing you know, you'll have a 3 - foot useless wing LOL
:lol: Well it's a necessity if you're going to run any kind of aftermarket wheel :wink:

For your car, if I were you 19Cutlass94, I'd paint the calipers themselves black, but paint the mounting brackets silver. Use DupliColor's caliper painting kit for the calipers, and paint the brackets using DupliColor high-temp CERAMIC engine paint (remove the brackets, natch.) I actually used "aluminum" (the color) for my caliper brackets...

i think it would look good if u do what i did...paint the caliper brackets cast aluminum color, and buy some dupli-color spray paint the color of your car and paint the calipers the color of your car, spray a few coats of clearcoat over top!...it'll look sexxxy! :wink:

EDIT: if u look close @ my front wheel in my sig u can see mine!

VHT caliper paint or bust 8)

FWIW: u do NOT need to use high temp paint on your calipers...i've had no problems...they really don't get that hott...now, if u decide to paint the center of your rotors, i'd deffinatly recommend some high temp paint there :)

VHT caliper paint or bust 8)

x2 :lol:

:willynilly: to each his own...i was just making people aware that u don't have to buy expensive high temp paint cause regular paint works just fine :wink:

Expensive being $8 bucks a can??

Its a hot area why not use the proper paints...?

like i said, they don't get THAT hott...regular paint works just fine...mines been on there for over a year with no problems...anywayz...i'm not trying to argue with u or anyone else...i was just making a point...do whatever u want... 8)

I thought it'd be cool to paint the calipers on my 'Bird.

CleanWheel.jpg

I dunno, I wouldn't have done it twice. Nothing else on the car was that color, so it looked out of place. If I were you, I'd color match it.

Next time I do my brakes, mine are going Silver.

And the POR-15 that I picked up is a grey/silver color as well. Should definately offset the black vehicle nicely. Or so I hope.

They have silver colored POR-15?? That would be cool. I painted mine red (look good cause my car is red) but after getting my brakes worked on etc. the paint it kinda chipped looking.

If you want it to be flashy (but not rice) paint it the same color as your car...

However I think on a blue car... SILVER!!!

like i said, they don't get THAT hott...regular paint works just fine...mines been on there for over a year with no problems...anywayz...i'm not trying to argue with u or anyone else...i was just making a point...do whatever u want... 8)

Don't get that hot, huh? Go for a nice spirited drive then get out and touch your calipers. Tell me they "don't get that hot". I used DupliColor High Temp ceramic paint. $2 more than plain paint, and it won't start peeling in a couple of months.

terryk2003, thats a great idea to paint it same as the car. Im thinking that would look very good.

I deff want some sort of high heat on there because yes they do get very hot. But I think if I went with a high heat clear coat Id be able to get away with it.

C-BAD, I think they have a couple colors of POR-15. I just went with the black cuz well it was the bottom of the car.

But I think Im leaning towards either black or same color as the car?

Don't get that hot, huh? Go for a nice spirited drive then get out and touch your calipers. Tell me they "don't get that hot". I used DupliColor High Temp ceramic paint. $2 more than plain paint, and it won't start peeling in a couple of months.

:werd:

Ever have a rear-caliper lock up (e-brake)??? Holy fuck you don't wanna touch the wheels!!!!!!

:werd:

Ever have a rear-caliper lock up (e-brake)??? Holy fuck you don't wanna touch the wheels!!!!!!

well, obviosly if u have a problem they will get hott...or if u ride your brakes alot... :roll: ...and i know the pads get very hott as do the rotors, but regular paint can withstand a pretty high temperature...or, maybe the clearcoat is what withstands the high temps...but, using high temp clear would be a good idea if ur that worried about it...

I painted mine white on the Beretta, and it looked OK, but I used Rustoleum so it looked like shit within 3 months.

Now that I did the 92+ brakes on it, the knuckles, and calipers are silver, actually it's called cast aluminum, by VHT.

It looks nice, it calls attention to them, but not the kind of over attention that red or yellow would do. It is subtle.

I don't like black on anything but drums, you don't notice it, so IMO it doesn't call people's attention to the fact that you did something/tried to make it look nice.

Subtlety is how I roll, I try not to draw a LOT of attention so I do subtle things, bright colored calipers would never be on my cars.

well, obviosly if u have a problem they will get hott...or if u ride your brakes alot... :roll: ...and i know the pads get very hott as do the rotors, but regular paint can withstand a pretty high temperature...or, maybe the clearcoat is what withstands the high temps...but, using high temp clear would be a good idea if ur that worried about it...

Hey, I'm with you Terry... I used cheap Wal-mart engine paint. Maybe $3/can, if even that much. It's been over 1-1/2yrs, still glossy, no peeling, no flaking, super smooth and the brake dust cleans right off them very easily. On the brackets, I just used Wal-mart's cheapest rust preventive enamel.

On that blue car, I'd probably go with a dark metallic gray for the caliper body and paint the brackets black. It wouldn't really stand out, but would look like brand new hardware. The gray being metallic would look a little nicer and more finished than the original cast-iron gray, especially if it's glossy. That was what I was going to do on the black 94 convertible, but my wife didn't want me to bother because it'd be a day or so for the paint to dry before she could drive the car.