Held motorsports coilovers...?

19Cutlass94

here are the final pics. 1 is the front installed and the other is the finished product. although since that pic i have lowered the front a little since it seemed higher than the rear.

heldco1.jpg

heldco2.jpg

That front really dont look that bad at all... Overall the car looks pretty good though!

but what exactly did you have to have machined so that it would fit?

both the front knuckles have to be machined. there is a square bracket that has to be removed as well as the stock spring perches. so add that into the cost of the system.

if u seriously plan on getting a kit, pm me.

oh i have a final pic with the front re-adjusted. u down for 1 more turbo??? i promise i will resize this one :mrgreen:

there was a definate improvement in handling and a 100% improvement in steering response. but i cannot honestly attribute it to the coilover kit. as my stocks were so blown that as soon as i took that cap off they oozed fluid out. on top of than the tie rod ends were shot to hell. the ball joints are ok for now but i will need to replace them within 7-10k.

then the shocks were replaced with the kyb gr2's which are a far superior shock than the stocker even if it was new. one thing i can attribute to it is my front to rear weight transfer has been reduced greatly, so more power is getting put to the wheels and not throughtout the chassis.

but if any1 wants to get a coilover kit plz pm me 1st.

both the front knuckles have to be machined. there is a square bracket that has to be removed as well as the stock spring perches. so add that into the cost of the system.

oh i have a final pic with the front re-adjusted. u down for 1 more turbo??? i promise i will resize this one :mrgreen:

All that work makes me wonder what benefit there is to getting the Held kit over just buying a generic set of coilovers with the right diameter sleeve and modifying the knuckles for it to fit.

All that work makes me wonder what benefit there is to getting the Held kit over just buying a generic set of coilovers with the right diameter sleeve and modifying the knuckles for it to fit.

Exactly. If you can pick up a better quality product for more than half the cost, I think it would certainly justify the modification needed to make it fit.

that's exactly what i was thinking.[br]Posted on: April 25, 2006, 10:34:00 PM_________________________________________________Final update and final pic. it has in fact started squeaking now and here is the final pic. heldco3.jpg

Exactly. If you can pick up a better quality product for more than half the cost, I think it would certainly justify the modification needed to make it fit.

exactly. in about 1-2 weeks i will make the necessary improvements to my kit and will offer kits to any1 that wants one. only catch is they are made to order and as far as returns dept goes i may be able to get refunds for the parts i buy but all sales are final on the fabbed/machined parts as i cannot get my money back on them unless u get lucky and some1 else wants a kit then i can sell them to some1 else and get a refund.

i will have test and pics for the kit remake in the coming weeks.

that's exactly what i was thinking.[br]Posted on: April 25, 2006, 10:34:00 PM_________________________________________________Final update and final pic. it has in fact started squeaking now and here is the final pic. heldco3.jpg

exactly. in about 1-2 weeks i will make the necessary improvements to my kit and will offer kits to any1 that wants one. only catch is they are made to order and as far as returns dept goes i may be able to get refunds for the parts i buy but all sales are final on the fabbed/machined parts as i cannot get my money back on them unless u get lucky and some1 else wants a kit then i can sell them to some1 else and get a refund.

i will have test and pics for the kit remake in the coming weeks.

Im interested in this as well, for the front in particular. i have an already much improved suspension from stock, and have had plenty of testing with what i have, so i would make a good guinea pig for noticing what improvements come about it. i think i will get the FFP rear kit instead and modify my kybs for it etc. and depending on what you end up making i may purchase your kit... can you get somewhat customizable spring rates?

yes i can. i don't know off hand, but i believe the range is like 150-475 lbs give or take. only drawback is i cannot select the spring rate for you. but i have 400 front on mine and 300 rear. i wanted mine setup to maximize for straight line. for autox i think the rear may need to be a little higher.

The only reason I see this being better than the FFP, is obviously the custom spring rates that you can get. I dont know what the FFP one is, but it just seems like its better built quality. So you can make these kits?

easily, they are all off the shelf parts other than the machined knuckles(which i would provide) and the fabbed upper spring perches(which i will also provide). as far as perks. the springs are powder coated and i may be able to powder coat the knuckles and perches for free but no guarentees. if nothing else i can have them blasted for free to occomodate any fit and finish the end user desires.

just curious, are you looking to address some of the squeaking? if i had to guess, its probably the spring to lower perch metal to metal contact, but haveing no experience with them im not sure.

hmmm..... i am mainly looking to slightly improve the existing design with better materials. that is the extent that i am willing to experimant on my own car. if u are willing to pay for more materials, i suppose i could provide lower isolators as well as upper polyeurothane isolators for you to test this theory.

I'm willing to give it a shot. Although Im not sure what i would be comparing to. If i had no noise im not sure i would be able to attribute that to a better design or dumb luck.

have you had experience with this or do you know if any examples where coilover kits came with isolaters on both sides of the spring? If not then im wondering why the helds/ffp's would be so different from other designs that they cause the noise.

• 2 weeks later...