Held motorsports coilovers...?

19Cutlass94

Ive been recently looking at a bunch of sites and I found this from them:

http://www.heldmotorsports.com/WBody/Coilovers_Stage3.htm

If it does what it says, it sounds to be a great set up! Front and rear coilovers for the W-Body. Does anybody know anyone that has bought something from them? Or maybe even know a little more about these? Cause the sound great but I duno. Im gonna shoot em an e-mail sooner or later (when I get time) But what do you guys think of this? I know FFP was trying to get front coilovers but had a problem with the bearing I believe...

I've been wondering the same, someone over on clubgp emailed them, forgot the prices but for stage 3 I believe it was around $400 something for the rears and the same for the front.

Personally i'd get the Stage 2 though since stiff ass Koni's aren't going to be fun on the road (where most of our cars are), and if you get the softer ones their practically the same as the KYB's so i'd save the cash.

Edit - Here we go, reply about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=2783495&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=motorsports&language=single&tmode=&smode=&s=#2783495

• 1 month later...

Well sorry for bringing up an old topic, but didnt wanna make a new one about the same thing.

I e-mailed held motorsports about their Stage 2 coilovers heres a response:

"Our front coil overs come with different springs. The front is strong enough

to support this, as the coil over springs are supported at the same point as

the stock spring at the top. The price of the stage 2 is $650 for the front

and $495 for the rear. The front includes modified blasted and powder coated

housings, coil over kit is assembled, new KYB strut inserts, spring rate of

your choice. The rear comes with new KYB struts assembled with coil overs.

We can do both front and rear for $1,050."

Seems like its pretty good to me. But what do you guys think?

Guest TurboSedan

Well sorry for bringing up an old topic, but didnt wanna make a new one about the same thing.

I e-mailed held motorsports about their Stage 2 coilovers heres a response:

"Our front coil overs come with different springs. The front is strong enough

to support this, as the coil over springs are supported at the same point as

the stock spring at the top. The price of the stage 2 is $650 for the front

and $495 for the rear. The front includes modified blasted and powder coated

housings, coil over kit is assembled, new KYB strut inserts, spring rate of

your choice. The rear comes with new KYB struts assembled with coil overs.

We can do both front and rear for $1,050."

i think it's kind of funny the way they worded that. the way the say "The front is strong enough to support this, as the coil over springs are supported at the same point as the stock spring at the top." kind of implies that the rear is not strong enough to support the coilovers since the spring is not in the same place. i guess it doesn't matter anyway since i already know from experience the rear is definately strong enough. i guess if i were selling rear coilovers i wouldn't have said it that way. um, anyways....

Seems like its pretty good to me. But what do you guys think?

hard to say if the front coilovers are a good deal or not. i think Held is the only one selling coilovers for the front and as far as i know no one here has them. at least i haven't heard any kind of feedback about them. as for the rear coilovers, FFP is obviously a better deal ecspecially if you buy them without the struts and get the GR-2 struts at tirerack instead. that's my plan anyway.

the funny thing is, is that when i went to change the struts on my fornt coilovers, i found that the struts had large dents towards the bottom. The struts were worn out within 2 years and also wouldn't compress all of the way. I'm unsure if this is the way they are made or if the guy from held motorsports sold me junk parts.

thats my $0.02 on this subject.

the funny thing is, is that when i went to change the struts on my fornt coilovers, i found that the struts had large dents towards the bottom. The struts were worn out within 2 years and also wouldn't compress all of the way. I'm unsure if this is the way they are made or if the guy from held motorsports sold me junk parts.

That doesnt really say too much for them. I know FFP ( only rears ) but still has proven itself to be a good product for years, and if thats happening in only 2 ( may be junk parts like you said but still ) I think they better step that up. Thats pretty shitty.

That doesnt really say too much for them. I know FFP ( only rears ) but still has proven itself to be a good product for years, and if thats happening in only 2 ( may be junk parts like you said but still ) I think they better step that up. Thats pretty shitty.

I have worked at held motorsports, and can vouch for the owner being an honest person...he definitely sent you what he was given by the strut manufacturor, i believe the cheaper kits use KYB struts...they have always been good in testing, hes been driving a 98 GP as a daily driver with every W-body part he makes for 4 years now with no problems, i would say that was a KYB(or koni, i dont know which kit you have) manufacturing problem

hard to say if the front coilovers are a good deal or not. i think Held is the only one selling coilovers for the front and as far as i know no one here has them. at least i haven't heard any kind of feedback about them. as for the rear coilovers, FFP is obviously a better deal ecspecially if you buy them without the struts and get the GR-2 struts at tirerack instead. that's my plan anyway.

i'll let you know after i get them but held also offers a piecemeal setup if you ask for it. i got both the front and rear for about $650. quite competitive i think. i too plan on getting kyb gr2's from advanced auto.

i'll let you know after i get them but held also offers a piecemeal setup if you ask for it. i got both the front and rear for about $650. quite competitive i think. i too plan on getting kyb gr2's from advanced auto.

Make sure you get some pics of that once you get it on (oh, and sorry i didnt respond to your IM, i was watching a movie)

Im planning on getting a fully assembled kit (the $1050 one) from Held sometime in the fall or early next year and the lateral and toe links as well. (depends on when the tranny decides to go, just swapped in a cam, headers, ported blower etc so im probably looking at trans failure pretty soon :( )

Im planning on getting a fully assembled kit (the $1050 one) from Held sometime in the fall or early next year and the lateral and toe links as well. (depends on when the tranny decides to go, just swapped in a cam, headers, ported blower etc so im probably looking at trans failure pretty soon :( )

I'm planing to save up the money to purchase this suspension system as well.

just recieved mine today and i am not impressed at all. i am calling the guy to try and resolve everything but it didn't come with instructions and did not have the adjustment tool for those large nuts. i am wondering what else is missing :evil: other than that, the kit looks cheap. i have seen kits go for 1/2 as much for different cars and look twice as good. like those nuts only have 1 alan screw to tighten them not to mention the alan wrench to tighten it would have been nice. most kits i have seen have 2.

only positive thing i can say so far is the isolators(for the rear) are polyeurothane which is nice. i would upload a pic or 2 but i suppose i would need a host.

oh forgot one thing all comparable kits come with 2 jam nuts per spring for safety. this cheap ass kit only has 1 jam nut per spring. so yeah, it sux IMO. p.s. i do have 1 last good thing to say, it is really nice to be able to choose the spring rates.

i can see how it may be heavier than the monoleaf. with the exception of the jam nut and the acme bolt all the rest of the components are made out of steel. hel one of the pieces is simply a pipe cut with a jigsaw and sprayed black with a rubberized coating. aluminum would have been nice here. also forgot to mention that only the rears recieved poly isolators, the fronts got those cheap plastic thingy's.

width=1024 height=768http://www.turbosedan.com/misc/rear.JPG[/img]

the spring perch is made out of friggin plastic(could have at least painted the damn thing) and the bearing u see inside of it is secured with clear silicon or fucking window caulk.

width=1024 height=768http://www.turbosedan.com/misc/front.JPG[/img]

ehhhh and how much were those things?

Do like any good consumer would, spread the word to other would be customers

as much as i bitch about the squeaking of my FFP coilovers, they are a high quality product

Shane (RedZMonte) has HMS colovers on the rear of his Monte. They've been there for a few years. I don't know if the design has changed, but his squeak and clunk quite a bit.

Tim

BTW- that Monte should be running turbo'd soon...

well my 1st piece of real feedback. installed the rear setup but got rained out be4 i could remove the stock monoleaf setup. good thing i wanted to slam this car, b/c with the tires on and it sitting on the ground the springs are 2-2.5 inches away from the perch with the jam nuts all the way up!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll have a full review of the rear kit tomorrow but this isn't cool at all. if i knew then what i know now, i wouldn't touch this kit with a 10 ft poll. he can't even get the spring lengths right.

hopefully i will do the front sunday b/c i am still waiting for the new struts to come in.

well my 1st piece of real feedback. installed the rear setup but got rained out be4 i could remove the stock monoleaf setup. good thing i wanted to slam this car, b/c with the tires on and it sitting on the ground the springs are 2-2.5 inches away from the perch with the jam nuts all the way up!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll have a full review of the rear kit tomorrow but this isn't cool at all. if i knew then what i know now, i wouldn't touch this kit with a 10 ft poll. he can't even get the spring lengths right.

hopefully i will do the front sunday b/c i am still waiting for the new struts to come in.

that fucking blows! pics!!!!!!!

well i got lucky(sort of) the amount of rear drop is about what i was looking for any lower and i would have asked for a refund or something. oh and also he sent me the wrong springs for the rear. i was supposed to get 12 inch springs and i recieved 11 inch rear springs.

i have started on the fronts but it is much more difficult than i originally thought and i have to pull the entire assemblies out and have them machined to accept the kit. hopefully it will be done around tuesdayish and i will have some road data and my final verdict on how bad i was screwed.

BUT AS OF NOW MY VERDICT IS GET THE REAR FROM FFP AND THE FRONT FROM HELD.[br]Posted on: April 16, 2006, 10:08:47 PM_________________________________________________almost done. all i have left to do are make 1 final adjustment to the front, examine the cv axle geometry, bleed the brakes, do a quick driveability test and get it aligned. got a pic of 1 side installed and will have a pic of the car(after i wash it) after i completely finish.

hey turbo want to host the front install?

[br]Posted on: April 19, 2006, 10:58:15 PM_________________________________________________lastly, i am talking to a suspension guy now and will be making improvements to the kit in the coming weeks.