';';

Invasion1

other than the problems already listed doorhandles break from time to time. fixing the distributor o-ring is no big deal.

just use liquid gasket and leave the head on. i have done 3 wbods with no complaints yet.

i got the best of both worlds. a gp gtp with a 5 spd :). but having driven an auto, an auto with a 3k stall and a 5 spd. hands down 5 spd all the way.

that tranny was literally made for that motor. (the 3.67 fdr is nice too. :mrgreen: )

p.s. also having driven both the lumi z34 and the gp gtp, the lumi is probably lighter b/c it not as decked out as a gp gtp.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fastbird232

• jeremy

• White93z34

• Psych0matt

I have a 92 3.4L GP with 140,000 miles, and I've been happy with it for the most part. I had the timing belt replaced at some cheap little shop when I first bought the car, and they did it all wrong and I had to have it redone at the dealership... If you have to do it or have it done, make sure it is done right and that pulleys etc are replaced while all that shit is apart.

The only other major repair was the alternator, and that was only expensive because I guess its a bitch to get to...I think its behind the right wheel...

a few other minor things replaced:

power steering high pressure line

rear brake rotors - dealership fuckup resulting in deep grooves cut in rotor

rear wheel bearing

upper and lower intake gaskets

my mufflers are starting to go out, but my car is 14 years old, so...

oh yeah, the door handles suck and will eventually break - just be gentle and they'll last - you can get stronger replacements for $26 each

I know this seems like a lot of stuff to worry about, but I feel like its all worth it every time I stomp on the throttle. Its a great handling car, too. Mine has the factory rally suspension package...

Hope this helps

I knew a guy who could do the timing belt in half an hour, as long as it didn't break, wish I knew how, then none of us would think it was a big deal. That's how he does it at the dealership, but you knwo how it goes you pay the book value, not how fast they can do it.

altinator at 100k-120k miles! its a bitch

On my third alternator at 112,000 miles. Installed by dealerships, and they charge a FORTUNE for it. It's supposed to be a "lifetime warranty" on the replacement. It died 300 miles from home and I was stranded. One Chevy dealership can't talk to another Chevy dealership, and I had to pay again, then piss 'n' moan with Chevy customer service for a month and a half before getting a (PARTIAL) refund.

Next time, it's gonna be a DIY project, and it'll be an Iceberg conversion.

On my third alternator at 112,000 miles. Installed by dealerships, and they charge a FORTUNE for it. It's supposed to be a "lifetime warranty" on the replacement.

FWIW: normally those warranties are lifetime replacement on the part, but you still have to pay labor everytime ....

I knew a guy who could do the timing belt in half an hour, as long as it didn't break, wish I knew how, then none of us would think it was a big deal. That's how he does it at the dealership, but you knwo how it goes you pay the book value, not how fast they can do it.

that is about how long it took me to do one when it wasn't broken. but the motor was in front of me. i just made timing marks on it.