88-93 driver side E-brake line spring

Guest donkeykongrape

Guest donkeykongrape

Alright, when I did my rear brakes a couple months ago, I distinctly remember there being a small little spring that holds the E-brake cable onto the caliper. I also distinctly remember losing this spring, and thus, whenever I set and release the E-brake, the cable slips right off and ceases to work unless I crawl under there and slide it back on.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions as to what I can use to keep the cable from slipping off? The spring is long gone and is nowhere to be found.

BTW I hope you all know what I'm talking about :P

Sure you couldn't just wire tie to attach it on? That spring is pretty weak and actually seems like a band-aid fix from the factory. Just loop a wire around it a few times and that should be the trick.

Guest donkeykongrape

I was thinking the exact same thing, I just wasn't sure if a wire tie would hold it, since when you release the E-brake, it snaps back with a lot of force...I thought it would shoot right over the wire tie, but I'll give it a shot anyways, thanks =)

Guest donkeykongrape

I ghetto rigged a wire tie onto the end of it...I just looped it around twice then twisted the ends until it was nice and tight...it seems to be working, as it hasn't slipped off at all

BTW...are our e-brakes supposed to suck ass as well as our regular brakes (88-93)? Even though the ebrake works, it barely keeps the car from rolling, and if i'm on a slight incline, it will still roll ever so slightly (if it's in gear at least)

my friend who has an 87 cutlass ciera (A-body), with rear drum brakes, can lock up his rear tires when traveling at any rate of speed using only the e-brake...now that's braking power! :D