Drag strip setup for my GTP?

fastbird232

The idea has been kicked around in my car club for a trip to Mid Michigan Speedway this summer. I'm wondering what I'll have to do to the car to get it ready for some 1/4 mile flogging, in terms of both performance (to go as fast as possible) and reliability (so I don't blow something up in the process).

Also, what's the best sport-shifting method for a the LQ1?

Umm, put it in drive and hit the gas? :lol:

I would just make sure you all the maintence things done and it's running tiptop. Make sure you have good tires, and struts as those will help your launch.

Leave it in 1 until the 4T60E shifts it into 2 for you, you'll gain some rpms in 1st that way.

Don't you mean in 2nd?

I will say make sure the car isn't super hot. Ice is your friend as well

Grippy tires on light rims... lower the tire pressure for better traction

Get your e-brake working so you can do proper burnout beforehand...

Just be easy on your trans, maybe take a break between runs...

Although I beat the piss outta my old 2.8, I'd go run after run after run, and that 4T60 held out no problem. But that was only like 130hp :lol:

Leave it in 1 until the 4T60E shifts it into 2 for you, you'll gain some rpms in 1st that way.

Don't you mean in 2nd?

No, he does mean in #1. It shifts about 100-200 rpm later.

Play with front tire pressure to get the best traction. Don't take regular street radial tires any lower than ~25psi, or you will end up hurting traction. Air the rears up to 50-60 psi when you get to the track. This will help your rollout a lot. Make sure you remember to air them down before you leave.

Take as much weight out of the car as you can. It will allow for faster times, and it will be less stressful on parts.

Keep your hood up between runs to get the engine as cool as possible. Use a bag of ice if you want.

If you are racing on street tires: if you can avoid the waterbox, do so. If you can't, drive through as slow as you can so that water won't splash into your tread or up in the wheel wells. Once you are past that, just hit the gas hard enough to spin the tires over 2 or 3 times. You aren't looking to get any heat into them, just need to clean debris off of them.

Have fun!

- Justin

Play with front tire pressure to get the best traction. Don't take regular street radial tires any lower than ~25psi, or you will end up hurting traction. Air the rears up to 50-60 psi when you get to the track. This will help your rollout a lot. Make sure you remember to air them down before you leave.

Take as much weight out of the car as you can. It will allow for faster times, and it will be less stressful on parts.

Keep your hood up between runs to get the engine as cool as possible. Use a bag of ice if you want.

If you are racing on street tires: if you can avoid the waterbox, do so. If you can't, drive through as slow as you can so that water won't splash into your tread or up in the wheel wells. Once you are past that, just hit the gas hard enough to spin the tires over 2 or 3 times. You aren't looking to get any heat into them, just need to clean debris off of them.

Have fun!

- Justin

All good info. Thanks, guys! Now I just have to keep this thread bookmarked so I don't forget by the time summer rolls around...

One question I did have: my 4T60-E was completely rebuilt two years ago. Is it strong enough to handle a couple floggings at the track still?

One question I did have: my 4T60-E was completely rebuilt two years ago. Is it strong enough to handle a couple floggings at the track still?

Ohh yeah, it should have no problems, especially if it was rebuilt.

Ohh yeah, it should have no problems, especially if it was rebuilt.

I didn't have any problems with my wonderful 16.8 Grand Prix. The 4T60E keeps coming back for more and I flog it every day. I have no mercy. :lol:

Just take everything out, including the spare.

I didn't have any problems with my wonderful 16.8 Grand Prix. The 4T60E keeps coming back for more and I flog it every day. I have no mercy. :lol:

Just take everything out, including the spare.

And you have no problem beating modified Z34's!