OZONE GENERATORS

THe_DeTAiL3R

We have one at work. Aside from basic operation, I know nothing about it! I just know it gets the stick out. The instruction "page" have very little info on it, as does the sticker on the machine.

All I do is:

1. Place unit in car, usually across front seats

2. Turn on switch

3. Wait about 45min to an hour-ish

4. Turn off unit and remove from car quickly. Close doors and run like hell cause the "ozone" sticks like hell!

5. Spray interior with this stuff called "Nu-car". I like to turn on the car with the heat full and set on windshield (de-fog or whatever it's called) then spray it into the vents so it gets sucked into the car, thus getting the odors in the vents as well.. let car run for 15min.

after I like to open the windows for a while, to get that fucking ozone/Nu-car smell out. Odours are GONE, machine works very very well.

Wondering if anyone else uses/has used them, or knows anything about them. Like how powerful the one I'm using might be? Is the "ozone" harmful to your health, if so what precautions to do...

Ozone is hard to breathe...the EPA has ozone alerts on particularly bad summer days for people with breathing problems. Ozone is O3 (three oxygen molecules together)...The oxygen we breathe normally is O2 (two oxygen molecules)...and that's where it likes to be.

Long story short, O3 wants to be O2...so that extra molecule of "O" breaks off and "oxidizes" something so the molecule can be happy. In the car or motel case, it's attacks whatever is causing the odor...or why a cut apple turns brown, or metal rusts. (oxygen comes from other things, O3 is just one of them).

Yes, it is the same stuff in the upper atmosphere, but doesn't do as much good down here as it does up there.

I believe an electrical arc "creates" ozone as well...if you've ever had a nice arc going and inhale that you'll know...I find it makes me a little light headed ,but w/e...

I'd say just don't hang around it too often and oyu'll be fine (don't sit in car for the 45mins ;))

We had an Ozone machine at the shop I used to work at. Extremely expensive to buy, and parts for them are expensive as hell too..

They get the stink out great, but the smell is actually something you do NOT want to breathe... if you've got to drive a car back after the ozone has been in it for a while, it's a good idea to AIR OUT the car before you take it back... if you drive it with that shit it can make you sick.

Trust me, I've been there.

Yeah, if I have to move the car out of the bay after Ozoning it I turn it on, take a deep breath (before going back in...lol) and back it out as quickly as possible. It smells like "pool water" x100000. I don't like to let it air out in the bay, stinks up the place. :puke:

Ozone is hard to breathe...the EPA has ozone alerts on particularly bad summer days for people with breathing problems. Ozone is O3 (three oxygen molecules together)...The oxygen we breathe normally is O2 (two oxygen molecules)...and that's where it likes to be.

Long story short, O3 wants to be O2...so that extra molecule of "O" breaks off and "oxidizes" something so the molecule can be happy. In the car or motel case, it's attacks whatever is causing the odor...or why a cut apple turns brown, or metal rusts. (oxygen comes from other things, O3 is just one of them).

Yes, it is the same stuff in the upper atmosphere, but doesn't do as much good down here as it does up there.

you dumb ass ozone is O1 thats why it sticks to everything! And it is considered a carcinogen by osha

you dumb ass ozone is O1 thats why it sticks to everything! And it is considered a carcinogen by osha

Ozone: A molecule made up of three atoms of oxygen. Occurs naturally in the stratosphere and provides a protective layer shielding the Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation. In the troposphere, it is a chemical oxidant, a greenhouse gas, and a major component of photochemical smog.

Google "define:Ozone"

Ozone: A molecule made up of three atoms of oxygen. Occurs naturally in the stratosphere and provides a protective layer shielding the Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation. In the troposphere, it is a chemical oxidant, a greenhouse gas, and a major component of photochemical smog.

Google "define:Ozone"

0wn3d0ts.gif

Don't be a dick. Thanks.

Sorry if this is a bit late...

Ozone is infact O3. Breathing it in small quantities is not harmful, but can give you a headache. If you breathe concentrated ozone long enough, it irritates the lung tissues (because the extra O in the O3 tries to latch onto anything) and they secrete fluid. Your lungs will eventually fill with fluid and you will drown. Lovely, eh? Keep in mind this is only in super high concentrations. (I doubt these ionizers will be able to produce that much ozone)

Just small amounts like your talking is enough to give you a headache but not do any harm. The one ionizer described with the light probably uses some VERY powerful UV (ultraviolet) lights to ionize the air an make ozone. Other units use a high voltage to ionize the air (very similar to static electricity) because ozone is a product of electrical arcs.

Hope this is useful :|