Can't Turn Ignition Key HELP!

BuickMan

All of sudden I put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn. The steering wheel was straight and transmission was in Park. After playing with it for 20 minutes it finally turned. Anybody know the cause and fix for this problem? Is there a chip in the key that went bad?

Mine did this with my new key but worked fine with my dads key and he had the heavily used key.. all i could come up with was that the ignition is warn to that key.... Switched keys and i never have that problem agein.

I'll try some spray. Since this never happened to me before I thought spraying in the key hole might damage the ignition wires. Can I use some WD-40?

the only wire near the key is for the buzzer to let you know you left the key in the ignition. so You don;t have a wire risk. take a rag, hold it beneeth the key hole to collect ecxxess and spray away, let penetrate and then push the key in and out everal times and see what happeds.

The ignition switch itself could be jammed. Drop down the column and remove the switch (you can't miss it, it's a big white "thing" bolted to the top side of the column.) Insert the key and try turning it again. If it turns, then the ignition switch is siezed. If it doesn't, then your lock cylinder is FUBAR (or possibly the linkage running inside the column...)

Guest TurboSedan

i'd try CRC Quick-Dry electrical contact cleaner before spraying anything else in there. that should clean it out really good before you spray any type of lube. if that doesn't work just replace the switch.

btw, if anyone can tell me what goes into replacing the ignition switch that would be great. my ignition key broke off inside and now i don't need a key anymore. anyone could drive off with my car right now :lol: :oops:

Ford stopped keys from braking by putting narrow keys and big tabs on the lock cylinder for you to grab and turn instead of the actual key to turn like GMs

Graphite would be somthing to use also

Ford stopped keys from braking by putting narrow keys and big tabs on the lock cylinder for you to grab and turn instead of the actual key to turn like GMs

My key is like that. My dad's Ranger was like that, but gotta love Ford, the little cylinder with the tabs broke off and we were left with the little tiny key to turn the ignition. My fingers hurt like a mother after driving that truck.

btw, if anyone can tell me what goes into replacing the ignition switch that would be great. my ignition key broke off inside and now i don't need a key anymore. anyone could drive off with my car right now :lol: :oops:
Just to clear the confusion, what you've described that needs replacing on your car is the ignition lock cylinder and not the ignition switch.

If you had a 94-96 "saginaw" column, I could help you out, but I've never torn an 88-93 column apart so I have no idea how to replace one of those lock cylinders.

Ok well then my guess would be the ignition it's self.... maby you have a stuck pin or a broken pin spring...

Only 70s-E90s Fords used Pin Tumbler automotive locksets. All others are wafer-tumblers.

I'd get a key cut by VIN at the dealership and start there. GM Wafer locksets dont' typically go bad. Post a picture of your key if you can - I can let you know how worn it is and whether it's probably lock related or column-related.

I had this problem on my TGP. The Keys had been cut slightly wrong befor I got the car. And they seller no longer had the original. I eventually replaced the ignition lock. Got it for 3 bucks out of a 92 STE. Works flawless. And takes all of 15 mins to replace, at least for me. Its really easy..

i'd try CRC Quick-Dry electrical contact cleaner before spraying anything else in there. that should clean it out really good before you spray any type of lube. if that doesn't work just replace the switch.

I can do it, but cant tell you how to do it LOL. its just one of those things I can do in my sleep without thinking about it... You can PM me and I might be able to walk you thru it on the telephone if you want..

I don't want to bum you out, but I had a problem like this with my 94 cutty. At first I had to jiggle the key around and it would finally go past accessory and start, then one day I started the car and couldn't get it to turn back the other way to shut off. Not fun. Had to have the iginition replaced to the tune of 220 bucks.