Wierd tranny problem, help please

94cutlatized

Hello people, hope uall r doing good, anyways, to bussines. My 94 cutlass 3100 4t60E, seems to...well its hard to explain, it's like i'm crusin at 50mph, the tranny should be in 4th gear by then, but then it's like another gear kicks in, like almost a 5th gear sort of, and it drops the tranny like a bitch, i hit the gas, and the car accelerates very slowly, but when i punch it i do get the passing gear. It's wierd since i dont have a 1st gear in the shifter, but i do when i have it in drive. it's like the tranny drops like a mother fu.. and u ave to punch it if u want to move. The tranny is off a corsica and was implanted in the car not long ago, could the guy that did it might have done somethign wrong, since i dont have a 1st gear in the shifter? the shifter wont go down to first its really hard, and second the 5th gear thing.

P.S. i know they are 4 speeds i just use the term 5th gear since thats the way i can best explain it. Please help

hmmm, if I were to guess, maybe the torque convertor? I dont have the 4t60e, I just have the 4t60. Around 50MPH I think thats when my convertor lowers the rpm, but I dont have a tac, so I'm going by sounds only.

Idk how to test torque convertor on an 'E' transmission, if you unplug the wires to the 4t60, the torque convertor will never engauge. If the problem goes away, then its either the convertor or the TCC solinoid. Dont do that on your transmission, you'll be stuck only with third gear I believe.

Thats my limited knowlege of transmissions, correct me someone if I'm off base

Thats my limited knowlege of transmissions, correct me someone if I'm off base

You are correct.

That seems normal. you will feel 5 gear changes, from 1 through OD, plus Torque convert clutch lock up. The TCC can lock up in when in the 3rd gear(D) I think and result in a significant RPM drop as the OD kicks in.

Do you have a tach? (all 94 CS should) normally you would crank around 1600rpm when you reach the '5th gear' point at 50 if you aren't trying to haul asss. TRY riding the break lightly while maintaining speed and you should notice about a 10% jump in RPM. THis is the TCC releasing. The best speed to test that at would be 60mph.

as for the hard to shift cable, perhaps it might just be binding where the transmission cable attached to the tranny?

• 4 weeks later...