Wipers+ABS=SRS

supreme_style21

When my wipers are on and the ABS kicks in, the SRS light blinks. The SRS light comes on just as the ABS 'resets' itself (thats what I call it anyway). It'll blink for like 6 seconds, then shut off. Only does it with the wipers on and the LOWTRAC illuminates. Wipers off, no problem.

Pointing to the signal switch in the column? Or something else?

Is your aux battery terminal bolt tight? When mine is loose it does all sorts of weird shit... ABS light, security light, drivers window randomly doesn't work, randomly doesn't want to start.

Is your aux battery terminal bolt tight? When mine is loose it does all sorts of weird shit... ABS light, security light, drivers window randomly doesn't work, randomly doesn't want to start.

A few weeks ago, I had the SECURITY coming on for a few days, then she died, but I traced that down to my AstroStart. But yea otherwise that terminal is tight. I've had damn lights popping on for a few weeks now. The SECURITY, but I solved that. ABS is always on, but thats a bad sensor, and BRAKE is on once in awhile... a restart seems to solve that one (for now, fingers crossed). So I guess it wasn't much of a suprise when SIR popped up. Grr. On the plus side, I can easily get my instrument cluster looking pretty close to a handicapped Christmas tree.

The signal switch has no direct tie-in with the airbag. Could be the clockspring, but I don't see how that could affect anything unless maybe you've previously removed it and reinstalled it in the wrong position. One of the wires inside could be "crimped" and not allow enough juice through when the electrical system is taxed :shrug: . Okay, that's kinda "grasping at straws" but I just wanted to mention that about the signal switch :lol: ...

The signal switch has no direct tie-in with the airbag. Could be the clockspring, but I don't see how that could affect anything unless maybe you've previously removed it and reinstalled it in the wrong position. One of the wires inside could be "crimped" and not allow enough juice through when the electrical system is taxed :shrug: . Okay, that's kinda "grasping at straws" but I just wanted to mention that about the signal switch :lol: ...

dammit. You just screwed my simple theory. I have done nothing with the switch. It has been acting up since I bought it.. I have a switch I bought like a year ago, and its still on the shelf.. It doesn't act up with the signals until its REALLY cold out, and even then, its sporatic.

Ah I thought the SIR was tied into the switch, i thought the newer GP's were the same, so I figured it was similar.

Another thing, A guy at work told me it is a ground/short problem. He said if one 'switch' is utilized and it causes a malfunction of another 'switch', the original switch has a short, as it tries to find the quickest ground, leading to the malfunction of the second switch... does that make any sense? So that would lead me to think there is a short in the Wiper switch, as that seems to be the determining factor in the problem?

I could see the wiper switch being a possiblilty. The wiper switches GM used on the saginaw columns (all GM's with those columns, not just W's) are a rather crummy design. I've had a few over the years that have gone bad (one wouldn't shut off, one wouldn't activate the washer pump, and the other just spun without activating the wipers.)

It's one of those "as long as you're in there" type of things. If you happen to swap out the signal switch, might as well swap out the wiper switch as well (the wiper switch and dimmer switch share a harness connector, so IIRC they are sold together as one unit...)

I had an issue with the ABS, and airbag lights coming on, and it was because the bolts for the lower portion of the steering column were loose.... (had just swapped column) There is a ground wire on an eyelet that attached there... try cleaning it and tightening the bolt back down.

I had an issue with the ABS, and airbag lights coming on, and it was because the bolts for the lower portion of the steering column were loose.... (had just swapped column) There is a ground wire on an eyelet that attached there... try cleaning it and tightening the bolt back down.

interesting... I'll scope that out next time there is a nice day. Thanks.