Finally picked up the right strut/knuckle UPDATE NEED HLP

Intlcutlass

Finally picked up the right strut/knuckle parts (fom a 96 with 11.25 in rotors) for my car!

Even better yet, the ball joint's look really good.

So now I get to clean em up, and get my intrax and KYB's installed!

I wanna get the calipers and brackets all cleaned up and painted first, they are kinda nasty....

How do you guys clean those for paint... Is there a best method?

I'm think'n that Shawns electrolysis method will work great for the brackets, but the calipers themselves i don't know about.

I painted the oned on my Fiero, but they were new, so there was no crap on them. I want the ones for the Cutlass to look really nice, wich means surface prep, But I was looking for the easiest method......

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31612&highlight=rust

Red

I tried last night to get the bearing/hub off the knuckle. I don't think it's a good idea to dunk it it water while the rest of it de-rusts.

I took off the 4 bolts (on the hub/bearing), and it still will NOT come off.

Is it pressed in or am I missing something?

Nope, not pressed in, it should come right out. It must be just completely rusted together.

Do you have to take out the 2 smaller studs that look like they hold on the ABS sensor... They look like they are kust bolted on the hib itself, and not the knuckle, but I donno????

Yeah, it would help to remove them, but not mandatory. If they're rusty, they could be partly responsible for preventing the hub from coming off. They're not really studs, they have smooth shafts. They are attached to the sensor, and the sensor should slide straight out with the hub bolts out.

Thanks man..... I just don't want to let the bearings sit underwater for any period of time, no matter how "sealed" they are....

Sorry for the type-o's...

:alcoholic: