Tail light rattle???

96GranSport

Okay, it's been bugging me for some time now but I've finally found where that annoying rattle is coming from when I turn up my bass. Seems the vibration is coming from my tail lights. The first of the year I'll be dampening my trunk which I know will help. My question is, is there a simple way of fixing the rattle coming from the tail light body? They seemed to be sealed pretty well so I'm surprised that it's coming from there but, when I press on them, the rattle goes away. Any suggestions on what to use to make them stop?

Thanx

okie foam, baby! I drilled a hole where it would not be seen, stuck the hose in it from the can and gave it a small sqirt. Too easy almost. wanted more of a challenge :wink:

okie foam, baby! I drilled a hole where it would not be seen, stuck the hose in it from the can and gave it a small sqirt. Too easy almost. wanted more of a challenge :wink:

:nono:

why do people "fix" things with these types of methods?

Dont try anything thats gonna make your car "ghetto" whether it can be seen or not. If your gonna fix soemthing, do it the right way the first time.

ExZion, Although Dynamat works great! (Did my whole trunk with it) its tooo expensive. If your going to go with some type of sound deadening material, go with e-dead. The cost outways it. You can lay down 3-4 layers of e-dead for what you can Dynamat.

BTW, my review mirror is broke from SPL tests :mrgreen:

every one used to tell me when I get my 1000 watt amp and JL w7 13.5" sub that I was going to rattle my car apart, well It hasnt happened. All I hear is an extremely dynamic range of bass sounds, none of which are ear shattering or car window/mirror shattering. Although the trunk lid sits a little crooked, and roof and sunroof slap together a little(lot). The sound sheets are less useful because the sheetmetal moves so much. it just needs stiffened and support from VB5 and okie foam. little 60-100 Hz. "buzzing" is the least of my worries.

but spl is dumb to go for, you should go for rich lows. 8) not ear shattering punk shit.

BTW, NP1 is a good substitute for VB5 for me at least, cause I got like 6 tubes for free at a yard sale. Used in homes for soundproofing rooms. said on the case it was not intended for use by the general public. but if you are a contracter, try to get this stuff.

Rich lows the only bass to go for, i cant stand ear shattering bass, it makes my ears hurt like hell, im just gonna dump a ton of money on some hella nice speakers so i dont have to mess with subs

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll be trying the silicon route first. My plan is to take the lenses off, clean everything, lay down a bead of silicon, and then put everything back together. I'll be trying to keep everything as stock as possible so there won't be any drilling or anything. I'd rather just take the extra time and effort to fix it. No ghetto for me :bash:

And thanx for the link to E-dead. I'm definitely gonna be going with that instead of Dynamat. I like the thought of saving some cash and still getting the same performance. :mrgreen:

Oh, and just as an after thought, in the past I've used foam weather stripping that you get for sealing home windows and doors. It works great for many different types of rattles. In fact, I just had a friend who couldn't get his license plate to stop rattling, even after using Dynamat on it. I told him about the foam weather stripping and now...no more rattle. I've used to for bumper rattling when you can't seem to tighten things down anymore. Just folded it and pushed it inside. Since it sticks so well, it never moves and you don't see it. And...no more rattles. Just thought I'd share.

but spl is dumb to go for, you should go for rich lows. not ear shattering punk shit.

How can you say this? Just because you dont like one thing means its totally wrong and just pure shit? Thats just pure ignorance...

I love SQ but I also like having a good SPL. and Ill take it as loud as my equipment can dish out.

96GranSport, you know those pads they use in bicycle helmets? well I just used those pads to get my license plate to stop rattling :lol:

but spl is dumb to go for, you should go for rich lows. not ear shattering punk shit.

How can you say this? Just because you dont like one thing means its totally wrong and just pure shit? Thats just pure ignorance...

I love SQ but I also like having a good SPL. and Ill take it as loud as my equipment can dish out.

96GranSport, you know those pads they use in bicycle helmets? well I just used those pads to get my license plate to stop rattling :lol:

I think a good even combination is a good thing. I like my bass good and tight but there are times that I just want to crank it up and feel the bass in my bones. I've never been a "Bass Head" and do prefer SQ but....there are those times. LOL

How thick are those pads? It sounds like a good idea. The foam weather stripping isn't very thick (maybe a quarter inch) so it works great if you don't want to have your plates pushed out too much. And because it's a good, soft foam, it mashes down to fit in tight spots. Especially for the bumper area. Although, after looking at the E-dead site, I think I've just found a new best friend for stopping my rattles. I'll definitely be ordering some of the thick mat and the liquid as well. Looks like I'll be giving myself a late Christmas present and I'm actually excited about it. :lol:

haha yeah I wish I knew about that stuff before I put Dynamat in my trunk.. but whatcha gonna do ya know. Theres some pads that are like an inch and others that are about 1/4". I got a shitload of em if you need any.

That's what I like about finding this place. I tried a lot of different things in the past, some good, some not so good, to get rid of rattles. All trial and error. Now I can come here and find out things first. Have always planned on dampening my car but never cared for the price of Dynamat. Glad that I found an alternative. I think I'll be going with that for now and then see if I need anything else afterwards. Thanx for the offer. Might be looking into it as I decide to tweak things a bit more later on. :)

I think a good even combination is a good thing. I like my bass good and tight but there are times that I just want to crank it up and feel the bass in my bones. I've never been a "Bass Head" and do prefer SQ but....there are those times. LOL

How thick are those pads? It sounds like a good idea. The foam weather stripping isn't very thick (maybe a quarter inch) so it works great if you don't want to have your plates pushed out too much. And because it's a good, soft foam, it mashes down to fit in tight spots. Especially for the bumper area. Although, after looking at the E-dead site, I think I've just found a new best friend for stopping my rattles. I'll definitely be ordering some of the thick mat and the liquid as well. Looks like I'll be giving myself a late Christmas present and I'm actually excited about it. :lol:

I tried it already.....totally sucked and was glad I only did it on my Ford, tried the okie foam on thr Ford before I would ever try it on the Pontiac. that sticker backed foam crap is the most ghetto shit I ever put on any car, sorry. :P If you want to try something like that you are speaking of is the vb1 polyeurothane foam gasket material found in the parts express catalog.

Im really suprised this didn't turn into another SPL vs SQL argument. And you really can have both.

On the actual thread topic, Im gonna have to get me some of the edead stuff, too. My deck lid is actually bending outward in the center from the bass. When the real low bass hits, you can see into the trunk.

yea, you can have both actually the JL Audio amps and Memphis amps have infrasonic filters for bass curve shaping. I personally think the thing should always be bypassed because you cut off all the lows. but that option is there for all the ported spl guys.