Factory CD HU.. why do you not work???

3pt1lumina

Alright, I got this from the junkyard. First of all it came from a 92 S-10. Now, figuring these vehicles should all have the same damn harnesses it would fit perfectly into my car. Nope. They all fit in, but there seems to be a harness missing... It's hard to explain, if that makes no sense I can take pictures and show you what I mean.

What this thread is mostly about is why the damn CD player doesn't work. The radio works awesome, lights do too. But the CD player doesn't do shit. Now, is this because not all of the "ports" are being used on the back of the radio? or is the CD portion just dead?

Any ideas/insight is much appreciated.

Here's a pic of the HU:

100_3372.jpg

as i just said in another thread your VERY hard pressed to find a cd HU from that area that actually works. i have 3-5 of them myself, all broken.

Now, figuring these vehicles should all have the same damn harnesses it would fit perfectly into my car. Nope. They all fit in, but there seems to be a harness missing... It's hard to explain, if that makes no sense I can take pictures and show you what I mean.

No, that doesn't make any sense. IIRC though, in the 21 pin harness, there is a group of six in a row that are always left open. I have never seen them used in any car.

The harness has nothing to do with your CD player not working. It's just broke.

Now, figuring these vehicles should all have the same damn harnesses it would fit perfectly into my car. Nope. They all fit in, but there seems to be a harness missing... It's hard to explain, if that makes no sense I can take pictures and show you what I mean.

No, that doesn't make any sense. IIRC though, in the 21 pin harness, there is a group of six in a row that are always left open. I have never seen them used in any car.

The harness has nothing to do with your CD player not working. It's just broke.

lol sorry, it was late and I was tired. However, that's what I figured. I mean, I got it for a decent price. As you may remember in another thread of mine, I put in a newer style CD player out of a Lumina. I just was curious to see if this one worked, which it doesnt. I guess at somepoint I'll have to get it fixed.

I just was curious to see if this one worked, which it doesnt. I guess at somepoint I'll have to get it fixed.

Cost me around $240 Cdn for have it reapired at a shop...works pretty good now.

I noticed there is a connector on the back that isn't used, but it is located towards the bottom of the deck (top connectors are gray on mine, bottom connector is black)

I just was curious to see if this one worked, which it doesnt. I guess at somepoint I'll have to get it fixed.

I noticed there is a connector on the back that isn't used, but it is located towards the bottom of the deck (top connectors are gray on mine, bottom connector is black)

What does the face of yours look like? And on the back of mine, the black connector, when connected allows the face of the radio to illuminate. The gray connectors above, only 3 of the 4 pigtails plug in up there.

Yeah, I swear when I unplugged that extra plug, my SWCs stopped working. I think the slave CD runs off the extra 6 pin plug I circled as "not used"...

...the pins on that plug are listed as AUX, so that seems most likely.

I can assume that every model's radio is done just a little differently though.

What does the face of yours look like? And on the back of mine, the black connector, when connected allows the face of the radio to illuminate. The gray connectors above, only 3 of the 4 pigtails plug in up there.

Mine looks like this one:

LuminaCDPlayer.jpg

I know it's not even the "right" one, but it's from the same era so good enough for my car lol...

Yeah, I am going to leave my cd player that I installed from that newer Lumina in there, get the other fixed somewhere, then maybe put it in. I love my new one, I just wanted to see if this other one worked.

Yeah, I swear when I unplugged that extra plug, my SWCs stopped working. I think the slave CD runs off the extra 6 pin plug I circled as "not used"...

...the pins on that plug are listed as AUX, so that seems most likely.

I can assume that every model's radio is done just a little differently though.

6 pin is for aux use. as seen here:

http://www.evilplastic.com/pics/95_radio_pinout.gif

also some info:

http://www.corvetteradios.com/Page.html

The diagrams I have for a 94 CS show the swrc are input into the radio by ONE wire. On the 7 pin(usually black/red connector on the pin spot, number 6. The manual calls the connector C2 and says the wire is blue. Hence "C2-6")

side note:

The 95+ model CS and Regal are listed in this webpage at the bottom, and the SWRC is supposed to be fed by light green wires.(?) as seen on

http://www.corvetteradios.com/Page.html

Is there something I could buy to use the aux. input to make RCA inputs that I could use to run my sirius receiver?? The FM modulator sucks.

If not, I think the newer style H/U like in 3pt1lumina's car has something you can buy to make that aux. thing work correct??

I want to really not use FM modulation for sirius...it sucks in my car for some reason.