how long does it take to flip rotors?

frusciante fan

i'm seeing some brake dust on my wheels and if i remember right that means the rotors should be flipped. the brakes still work great and don't feel like the pads need to be replaced. i'm pretty unfamiliar with brakes, but how long and difficult is it to flip the rotors?

Brake dust is normal.

my dad says stuff like this too... like turning or flipping rotors. I think people just get confused with the terminology. Turning the rotors means refinishing them. I think refinishing rotors is stupid because for about the same price or a little more you can just buy new ones.

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one that never heard of flipping rotors.

Yeah, if you mean turn the rotors, you only have to do that if they're pulsating. That's basically putting them on a special lathe and grinding down the top layer of the braking surface so that they're even again. There's a minimum thickness that you have to observe when you turn rotors. Go below that thickness, and the rotor is sure to warp again. Yeah, if it costs the same to buy new rotors, it's better to buy new. I used to get mine turned for free since I had a friend working at O'Reillys.

Dust is normal wear of the pads and has nothing to do with improper brake function.

sorry guys, i'm so clueless about this stuff. i had my brother check out my car last weekend and he said because there's brake dust on the wheels, they needed to be turned or flipped (i can't remember :) ) i was like 0_o because this car has awesome brakes and they feel like they're new almost. there's also no pulsating or whatnot. thanks. i guess if you never ask, you never noes.

if your brakes are good leave them alone. Brake dust is normal from the pads doing thier job, all is good with your car as you describe it :wink:
:werd: Don't get worried about your brakes unless you hear any unusual noises, or feel any grinding/pulsing when you're applying them.

You more than likely have a set of brake pads that have a high metallic content in the composition. Semi-metallic and Carbon-metallic pads produce tremendous amounts of brake dust by nature.

it sounds good to me, tell your brother to wipe down and polish your wheels, that will fix the real brake dust problem.

I've never had a rotor turned personally. but I understand you should really only turn a rotor if it deeper sctratches, or has become glazed/polished.

A pulsating rotor might have hard and soft spots from uneven heating that may still be present after turning which will cause the problem to reappear.

And if a rotor is really warped You should not turn it, as the warping will progress and reappear.

Buy new. autozone and advanced offer cheap but decent rotors. say around $25 each give or take....

sorry guys, i'm so clueless about this stuff. i had my brother check out my car last weekend and he said because there's brake dust on the wheels, they needed to be turned or flipped (i can't remember :) ) i was like 0_o because this car has awesome brakes and they feel like they're new almost. there's also no pulsating or whatnot. thanks. i guess if you never ask, you never noes.

haha I think you got your leg pulled. I sent my girlfriend into the parts store to get me a muffler belt a few years ago. She went in all confident. She came back red in the face and punched me in the back.

yep dust is normal, my new greenstuff pads claim to be low dust! i need to wash my wheels and then i'll see how much dust they make.... i'll keep everyone posted
I'll tell ya right now from experience that they produce a tremendous amount of dust...